Author Topic: Change of Captain for 2007  (Read 1358 times)

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Change of Captain for 2007
« on: August 05, 2006, 04:50:55 PM »
After watching Johnson play today, I really think we need to look at a replacement captain for 2007.  Don't see any leadership on the field and his kicks today were dreadful.  Thoughts?

Bulluss

Re: Change of Captain for 2007
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 07:27:01 PM »
I actually thought that Johnson wasnt all that bad.

He has been fantastic over the last 6 weeks or so and has led by example. Done a fairly good job on West today i thought.

I think our next Captain should be a long term one and i dont think any of the potential contenders are ready.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 08:20:48 PM »
I've been a staunch supporter of Sugar.
However those two pathetic disposals in a row under absolutely no pressure really concerned me.

He is no longer a top 5 player at Richmond and his next contract needs to be adjusted accordingly.

Joel Bowden captain '07. :thumbsup

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 03:26:25 PM »
IMHO Suga should remain as captain 2007

I actually thought he wasn't too bad yesterday - West had very little influence on the game where as he usually tears us to shreds.

If we were to base who our captain should be on the of bad disposals they have (e.g bad kicks not hitting a target) we probably wouldn't have any captain  :help ;D ;)

Suga's is the best man for the job at the moment :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 07:11:43 PM »

If we were to base who our captain should be on the of bad disposals they have (e.g bad kicks not hitting a target) we probably wouldn't have any captain  :help ;D ;)

Hehe.
Perhaps that's part of the problem.

We should recruit a captain, who can actually kick! LOL

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 07:48:06 PM »

Hehe.
Perhaps that's part of the problem.

We should recruit a captain, who can actually kick! LOL

LOL.

I'm a fan of Sugar but yep those kicks were shockers. I still would have him captain ahead of others. Joel did alot of terrific things yesterday but what ticked me off at times was him ignoring the obvious option coming out defence and either dodging an opponent he didn't have to or to handball to a non attacking teammate only to get it back again and then go to the option he should have gone to initially. Wasted about 10-20 seconds of nothing footy which hurt a quick counter-attack.

Our senior blokes will not be part of a premiership. I hope they don't pass down their bad habits and slow thinking down to our younger guys.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 08:11:40 PM »
Captain kicks like that and uts an endightment on the club

does it all the fukken time too.

Make Kellaway Captain over bowden.

blx

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 06:22:53 AM »

lets get Gas  :rollin

letsgetiton!

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 07:39:38 AM »
i have been totally oppposed to sugar as our captain because of all the obvious reasons. he isnt a matchwinner, his skill level is only slightly better than tivendales, his lack of charisma, as his lack in making big impacts on games

but

as we have seen over the past 6 weeks he really has stepped up and stuck to his task, im his biggest critic, ask MT!, but what he has shown this yr is that he is disciplined and authoritive and been a good teacher on and off the feild to the young ones. i always stated and wanted joel to be captain, but whats the point of making a change now, the only choice we have is sugar or joel. so say we swap captains next yr and make a change, joel becomes captain, then every time he shanks a kick we will say he is a dud too, because joel 4 as good as he is , at times snuffs them just as bad as sugar.  its time we stop worrying about who should be captain, sugar should be captain for 2 more yrs at least, maybe 3 depending on circumstances.

this is what i would do, next yr.2007, keep the currant captain and vice captains.
in 2008, keep sugar as captain, joel as vice captain and drop richo and brown and replace them two with say deledio and tambling.
in 2009, drop joel as vc for say polo, pattison, raines, etc, any other kid who has developed into a leadership type. and then assess whether deledio(or another young leader) is ready to take over sugar or not, if he or someone else is fine, if not sugar stays one more yr tuil 2010, when a change will be made.

this a imo a good transition to change captain, and introdice potential captains to our club

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 11:52:11 AM »
I think the continuity is good for now. We aren't going to win a premiership in the next 2 years so there is no point creating an issue. People will say that we will not win a premiership for the next 20 if we endorse weak leaders (which I think Johnson is, btw) but there isn't much in the way of alternatives.

I think give Kane another two years and then think about choosing the next captain, who in Terry's plans should be considered as the man who will lift the premiership cup. No rush, but take the time to make the right choice, because the next captain will be a very young one given our lack of 23-28 year olds.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 03:16:51 PM »
I think give Kane another two years and then think about choosing the next captain, who in Terry's plans should be considered as the man who will lift the premiership cup. No rush, but take the time to make the right choice, because the next captain will be a very young one given our lack of 23-28 year olds.

Agree Jake. A next premiership at best will probably be one of our teenagers. Give Sugar 2-3 more years and by then they'll be 21 or 22. That's a reasonable age and experience to become captain. From memory Carey was made captain at 21. Hird would've been around that mark also.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd