Author Topic: Malthouse on Richmond  (Read 1911 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Malthouse on Richmond
« on: July 02, 2004, 01:51:23 AM »
From article: Frawley can leave Tigers with dignity
The Australian
July 02, 2004

The problems and frustrations at Richmond have been well documented. As someone who played in the Tigers' last premiership side in 1980, I think you have to leave the club to understand its shortcomings.

I remember after we won the flag, the club sacked the general manager. Few of us could work out why. Then, after missing the finals the following year, our premiership coach Tony Jewell was sacked. At the time, we all tended to accept this sort of cut-throat internal politics as part of the recipe for success.

But on leaving Tigerland, you recognise the insecurity and instability created by the internal politicking does no-one any good. A footy club is like a skyscraper. The players and the coaching staff are the structure, what's visible and impressive to the outside world.

But success and stability depends on having firm foundations; competent, honest and wise administrators are as important to a club's fortunes as star players.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,10013034%255E32103,00.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Malthouse on Richmond
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 01:54:29 AM »
But on leaving Tigerland, you recognise the insecurity and instability created by the internal politicking does no-one any good......success and stability depends on having firm foundations; competent, honest and wise administrators are as important to a club's fortunes as star players.

Still 22 years after Mick retired some people at the Club still don't get it  ::)
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Jackstar

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 05:55:52 AM »
Hey MT, there lies the source of our problems. Feel sorry for Frawley actually

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 08:56:59 AM »
A sad reflection on our Club when it is all said and done.

How long is it going to take for them to get it right ???

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)