Author Topic: Casey: Sheedy no place at Richmond / Folly of Joseph's Sheedy plot - Caro  (Read 1294 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
I'll eventually merge this article with the other thread but I'll post it separately here first so it's not lost deep in that thread

Folly of Joseph's Sheedy plot
Caroline Wilson | August 4, 2007

THE powerbrokers at North Melbourne were last night still reeling at Ron Joseph's crazy plot to lure Kevin Sheedy back to Richmond and oust Terry Wallace in the process.

Although the maverick members-elected director of the Kangaroos tried to scoff at the story yesterday, his laughter was hollow. Joseph knew he had been sprung and that his fellow board members were furious.

Consider the situation at Arden Street. The club that few tipped could contest September football this season is sitting second on the ladder one game clear of West Coast.

Last week before the Hawthorn game Dean Laidley brought the Kangaroos' last premiership cup onto the ground for his players to fondle and take home in their dreams.

Not only is the club's future in doubt — its ability to sustain an existence in Melbourne is likely to be rejected in a consultant's report to be completed within weeks — but the coach remains unsigned, mildly insecure and has attracted some interest from rival clubs.

And yet having endured a shockingly unstable off-season, rivalled only by Carlton, that culminated in a messy election on the eve of the season — made messier by Joseph — Laidley and his team have overcome many obstacles to win 12 of their past 14 games. The board, too, has managed to keep itself off the back pages.

Then came Kevin Sheedy without a job and Richmond sitting on the bottom of the ladder, yet again a failed football team.

Just what all of this had to do with Joseph — it's not as if the Roos are overstaffed and not looking for help — is unknown.

But this is how it appears to have unfolded. Fittingly it began at an MCG function celebrating the Kangaroos' 1970s premiership president Allen Aylett.

Sheedy, whose termination had taken place 48 hours earlier, would have touched the romantic in Joseph with all of his star quality.

Joseph would have seen Sheedy's return to Richmond in the same light as Ron Barassi's move to the Kangaroos in the '70s. But that was the '70s and, remember, Barassi returned to Melbourne in the 1980s with similar fanfare and no success.

Remember, also, that St Kilda's bold million-dollar recruitment of Malcolm Blight in 2000 was organised by Joseph, whose 1970s philosophy of win now and pay later doesn't wash in the AFL the way it once did in the VFL.

We know that Joseph — and he has been prone to change his mind — is not a Wallace man, because he criticised the Richmond coach earlier this year after the axing of Darren Gaspar, a Joseph client.

Joseph denied trying to woo Richmond's beloved and wealthy patron David Mandie, but did schedule a meeting early yesterday with Clinton Casey to talk about Wallace's contract.

This is a claim denied by Joseph but confirmed by Casey to The Footy Show. Casey reportedly cancelled the meeting.

Joseph denied his attempts to contact past Richmond presidents — and there were at least two — had anything to do with his scheme.

But everyone else associated with the story broken on The Footy Show this week confirmed what Joseph was up to. He spoke with Sheedy at the pair's mutual unofficial office, the Melbourne Hilton, on Thursday. He spoke to Tigers' football boss Greg Miller, who may or may not have taken Joseph seriously.

Miller did not pass on his concerns, if he had any, to Tigers' president Gary March, who has ruled a line through Sheedy returning to the club in the short-term and learnt of the plot only on Thursday night.

Yesterday, March called his Kangaroos' counterpart, Graham Duff, demanding to know what was going on.

Duff was bemused but, at that point, had not heard back from Joseph, who will most likely be forced to explain himself to the Kangaroos board at its next meeting later this month.

Mark and James Brayshaw, the brothers who joined Joseph's members ticket, have been disappointed in him at least once already this year and remain disappointed at what took place with Sheedy and Richmond.

He is unlikely to be forced to resign because the club is looking right now for stability and Joseph seems to have the trust and belief of the players and the coach and, of course, he was elected by the members. How could he have even entertained such a scheme at this time?

At a Scotch College football breakfast at the MCG yesterday, Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson, a former Kangaroos player, pointed to Joseph's return to the Kangaroos as a major reason for its success this season.

Clarkson made a good point. Joseph appears to have been a hands-on, passionate and committed member of North Melbourne's team this season, even if he does rankle the board at times, and we have no doubt his unofficial Sheedy manoeuvre was fuelled by good intentions.

Wallace, though, may disagree, and Laidley probably didn't need this minor ripple to his fortunes, either.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/folly-of-josephs-sheedy-plot/2007/08/03/1185648149034.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 01:40:46 AM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Casey: Sheedy no place at Richmond
04 August 2007   Herald Sun
Jon Pierik and Damian Barrett

FORMER Richmond president Clinton Casey yesterday claimed the time was not right to lure Kevin Sheedy back to Tigerland.

Casey revealed he had cancelled a meeting yesterday with Sheedy-to-Richmond advocate Ron Joseph once he learned what the appointment was about.

Joseph, a Kangaroos board member, had suggested Sheedy, a member of Richmond's Team of the Century, should return to Punt Rd next season and replace coach Terry Wallace.

"Ron Joseph asked to me to go to a meeting this morning," Casey said yesterday.

"Apparently that (Sheedy) was going to be discussed with me this morning, but after last night, once I found out that was what the meeting was about, I had absolutely no interest in the meeting at all.

"The meeting was cancelled."

Joseph's involvement in Richmond issues has raised eyebrows with some at the Kangaroos, and his approach to Casey was odd considering Casey hired Wallace in late 2004 after Danny Frawley was sacked.

Joseph said his role in supporting Sheedy had been taken out of context.

"We've all got opinions in footy, and one of my opinions is here is the opportunity Richmond has been waiting for," Joseph said.

"I made a passing aside to a friend (Tigers football director Greg Miller, a former colleague of Joseph's at the Roos), gave an opinion to a friend.

"That was all I did."

The hiring of Wallace and Miller had been seen as the key moves in otherwise rugged years on and off the field under Casey's stewardship.

President Gary March, a member of Casey's winning ticket in the December 2004 election, took charge late the following year.

Casey said there was no room at Richmond for Sheedy, who will leave the Bombers at the end of the season, because he still wanted to coach.

"It's clear the position he is looking for is not there," Casey said.

"If it existed at Tigerland - maybe there is a day in the future that it will be - then we will have something to offer.

"But I don't think that time is now."

Casey, who still sponsors the Tigers through the Casey Group and is a mentor to some players, said Wallace and Miller were the right men to lift the club back into the finals.

"I am fully committed to Terry Wallace and I think he has got them on the right track," Casey said.

"I know we are on the bottom of the ladder and things don't look too sweet, but internally and talking to the players, I think there has been a lot of improvement in the younger players.

"Being close to it, I am very happy, and there is no way I am going to get rid of Terry Wallace at Richmond."

Casey said attacks on Miller had been made by those who were "bitter and twisted for backing the wrong ticket when we went to the election (in 2004)".

March has said the Tigers would consider Sheedy for an ambassadorial role, marketing position or even a seat on the board.

Joseph met Sheedy on Thursday at the Hilton on the Park.

"We had a laugh and I said to him they (the Tigers) would be crazy not to try and get you back," Joseph said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22185723%255E19742,00.html

Ox

Joseph's involvement in Richmond issues has raised eyebrows with some at the Kangaroos, and his approach to Casey was odd considering Casey hired Wallace in late 2004 after Danny Frawley was sacked.

@ least the media is reporting this correctly now.

Online Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
Caro's article is one of the most disjointed, unreadable bits of rubish I have ever read. I have no idea about the facts on this situation but reading this aticle realy didnt help me understand it any better.

or maybe I am just slow.  ;D
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Moi

Sheedy, whose termination had taken place 48 hours earlier, would have touched the romantic in Joseph with all of his star quality.
Somehow doubt romance entered his head
Methinks he had other intentions  :banghead

Passionfruit

Question to Moi, what if Wallace wants out ?
And he is wanted at the Kangas?
Leaves the tiges without a coach ?
Similiar to what he did at Western Bulldogs as he was promised the Sydney job and they payed him to sit out for a year.

Moi

Well I'd say he's heard all your garbage and decided no-one wants him and he's out.
If he did that, he would probably do it knowing he was a dead man walking.
And according to you, he is, so why bother asking such a stupid question?

Moi

Do you really think any coach would aspire to coach the Kangas, not knowing whether he'd get paid or not, relocated etc.
That if their current coach Laidley hasn't resigned, he wouldn't wonder why he isn't signing?
Not a club I'd be putting my hopes on for a long tenure!
But sound them out in case I get a knife in my back at Richmond, which is happening right this minute.

Passionfruit

Do you really think any coach would aspire to coach the Kangas, not knowing whether he'd get paid or not, relocated etc.
That if their current coach Laidley hasn't resigned, he wouldn't wonder why he isn't signing?
Not a club I'd be putting my hopes on for a long tenure!
But sound them out in case I get a knife in my back at Richmond, which is happening right this minute.

Kangas arent going broke and are underwritten by the AFL as the second team in queensland.
Kangas will be around as long as there is TV rights although mighten be based in Melbourne.
About knifes, if his perfomance is poor ( which it is-cant hide from the fact one win for season),its in his best interests to keep all options open.

Moi

Your original post where you said he'd leave the Tigers in the "lurch" suggests you're saying he would be doing this of his own volition(sp).
That is just troublemaking of your very best, Jack!
It would be wise of anyone in Wallace's position to look at the market given the current climate at Richmond and the groundswell starting to mount for him to go and Sheeds in.

If Wallace left, I'd say thank you so much for what you've done and go out there and prove everyone wrong.

Similar advice I gave to someone else who chose not to take it  ;)

Passionfruit

Your original post where you said he'd leave the Tigers in the "lurch" suggests you're saying he would be doing this of his own volition(sp).
That is just troublemaking of your very best, Jack!
It would be wise of anyone in Wallace's position to look at the market given the current climate at Richmond and the groundswell starting to mount for him to go and Sheeds in.

If Wallace left, I'd say thank you so much for what you've done and go out there and prove everyone wrong.

Similar advice I gave to someone else who chose not to take it  ;)

Thank Terry for whats he has done, ::) ::) yeah 1 win this season , thanks Terry.

Lets move on.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
I think the whole Sheedy show for this year has been blown out of the water. If Sheedy coaches next year It wont be us.

Wallace may have 2 years left to run on his contract but I'm very sure that he will only have 1 year to prove himself and again it's all revolving around 1 man, Kevin Sheedy.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.