Author Topic: Are 17-18 year olds being drafted too early?  (Read 2053 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Are 17-18 year olds being drafted too early?
« on: November 23, 2007, 04:10:06 AM »
Paul Roos seems to think so....

"My thoughts are that they're too young, the kids, and it's too much of a lottery," Roos said.

"But that's what you're faced with and that's the system you've got to work with.

"There's just too much crystal-balling. We've done our own analysis on it, but if you look at the players and their average games, from my point of view it's ridiculous.

"You're going to have an early pick and you're not guaranteed a bloke's going to play more than 30 games. It's just crazy.

"That could be addressed if it was older because you are speculating with a lot of them."

http://heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22806409%255E19742,00.html

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
Re: Are 17-18 year olds being drafted too early?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 08:44:05 AM »
Its not about the age, its about how the club nurtures the kids and prepares them for the next level. Some clubs
are pushing the kids through too quickly whereas others show more patience.

Offline terrys tigers

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 09:08:01 AM »
Its not about the age, its about how the club nurtures the kids and prepares them for the next level. Some clubs
are pushing the kids through too quickly whereas others show more patience.

I think your right. Deledio was ready and thus played all 22 games in his first season, Dean Polo was not and thus was given time to develope before being thrown into the deep end and i think the same time is being given to Travis Casserly and because of this he will be a better player.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 01:57:40 PM »
The only problem I have with the current draft system is if you're a late developer then there's only a remote chance of getting onto a AFL list if you're not drafted as a teenager. Jake King stories are rare. Lists use to be larger and with the U19's and ressies there were far more players connected to AFL clubs.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 03:20:28 PM »
I think one more year would make a big difference as most kids would then have finished growing.

JON is a case in point, he's now too unco for his body which has grown a couple of extra centimeters since he was drafted.

blx

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 04:06:54 PM »
i follow the NRL as well and the age they start playing league there i think is higher than 17-18.

Of course some of the elite juniors might start straight away or in their first season but id say most kids in the NRL start playing grade around 20-22 which is higher than AFL.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 06:34:23 PM »
i follow the NRL as well and the age they start playing league there i think is higher than 17-18.

Of course some of the elite juniors might start straight away or in their first season but id say most kids in the NRL start playing grade around 20-22 which is higher than AFL.

In soccer U23 is still considered fairly young. Hence in internationals they have U17, U20, U23 and open senior comps.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 07:30:21 PM »
In soccer U23 is still considered fairly young. Hence in internationals they have U17, U20, U23 and open senior comps.

This is why Roos has such a good point IMO.

I myself was a very late developer and whilst I played some good jnr footy as a young fella by the time I was 15 or 16 I was still a pretty much a boy playing against men in many cases.
At about the age of 16 I finally started growing but I didn't start playing really good football again until I was about 19.
The skills were there still but I was just pushed off the ball too easily and didn't make an impact again until I was more physically mature.

The same could be said for many kids aged 17 or 18.
Some have an unfair physical advantage as juniors but are found out at senior level when they are playing against men as strong or stronger than them.
Alternatively there are some very good footballers out there who get bypassed because they haven't physically matured yet.

I honestly think you would see a fair difference in where many players get drafted at 17/18 compared to their order at 19/20. 

When you are talking about a 10 yr career it can't hurt to wait one extra to see who's the best when it's on a more even playing field.

Roos is spot on with regards to this IMO.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 09:37:27 PM »

blx, NRL has SG ball(under 18's), Jersey Flegg(Under 20's), Premier league(ressies) and then NRL. If a kid has enough potential he could bypass all 3 lower grades. Israel Folau is a case in point. He played his first NRL game at aged 17 so really there is very little difference between the codes. Realistically In the NRL, if you haven't made it to at least premier league level by 19, you'll probably never make it.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 10:58:55 PM »
I honestly think you would see a fair difference in where many players get drafted at 17/18 compared to their order at 19/20. 

When you are talking about a 10 yr career it can't hurt to wait one extra to see who's the best when it's on a more even playing field.
What's the average AFL career ...... 4 years? On the scrap heap at just 21-22  :-\.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 11:05:10 PM »

What's the average AFL career ...... 4 years? On the scrap heap at just 21-22  :-\.

Could well be because many start too early despite not being up to it.

Have a look at how Jake King's travelling now as an example.

Ox

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 11:47:09 PM »
not at all.

The public merely scrutinise them before their balls drop,however.

Paul Roos is a fraud anyway.

Who GAF whathe says?

Real talent will comply,regardless.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 12:07:48 AM »
Yep Jake's a late developer who openly admits he wasn't mentally ready at 18.

The AFL needs to allow access for both types. Those who are ready at 17/18 like Lids and Buddy (Timmy Watson started at 15) should continue as is but there's too many restrictions for older players who deserve a second chance. Look what happened to poor Pods when we were interested in him but he was ruled out because he was once on a AFL list.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 12:17:34 AM »

Paul Roos is a fraud anyway.

Fraud? :lol

Yep Jake's a late developer who openly admits he wasn't mentally ready at 18.

The AFL needs to allow access for both types. Those who are ready at 17/18 like Lids and Buddy (Timmy Watson started at 15) should continue as is but there's too many restrictions for older players who deserve a second chance. Look what happened to poor Pods when we were interested in him but he was ruled out because he was once on a AFL list.

good point MT.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 09:35:24 AM »
Paul Roos is talking garbage. I believe his comments are based on desperation in that his squad may be too old and too slow and were systematically exposed by the Pies in their elimination final so the quick fix of picking up a player from another club is not as fruitful for him and his style of play. Having pick 11 also provides more discontent for him. Why wasn't he complaining in 03-06 or if he had one of the first 4 picks in any of those drafts or this years one. All the AFL concessions and help and still they find reasons to complain. Let them suffer near the bottom of the ladder for a few years.