Author Topic: Miller on SEN & 3AW  (Read 1648 times)

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
Miller on SEN & 3AW
« on: November 24, 2007, 11:40:42 AM »
miller on now

* health is good
* cotchin is a leader and star mid
* really talented players up against richards in PSD
* suprised rance at 18, big tall strong CHB
* putt and rance addresses height deficiences
* putt is a curator at a golf course lol
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 01:36:40 PM by one-eyed »

richmondrules

Re: Miller on SEN
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 11:41:02 AM »
* Health good
* Cotchin Well known to the club leader star mid
* Richards PSD? Talented players still available so will have to wait and see. Rookie looking good too
* Rance. Surprise. Bonus.
* Putt started to address height deficiency

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 11:44:03 AM »
Another positive was the likelihood of Miller and co passing on Richards to select a few of the talented type kids who missed out on getting drafted this morning as he just reiterated on SEN.B He was surprised to see Rance at 18. Nevertheless a good day for us and with two kids coming via PSD a very fruitful time for the RFC.

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 12:50:22 PM »
Francis Jackson was white hot on Selwood but assumed he wouldn't be around at 18.
He referred to Selwood as his 'lovechild' when asked about him.

If we hadn't of traded away for McMahon we could have snared both Rance and Selwood.......a recruiting coup opportunity missed by Miller. :-[
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Miller coming up on 3aw
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 01:11:24 PM »
Francis Jackson was white hot on Selwood but assumed he wouldn't be around at 18.

If we hadn't of traded away for McMahon we could have snared both Rance and Selwood.......a recruiting coup opportunity missed by Miller. :-[
Rance slipping to 18 surprised everyone. Most of the selections around picks 10-17 were totally unexpected. Even if we had kept hold of pick 19 (which I agree we should have but anyway) no way we would've thought we could have got both Rance and Selwood.

Miller coming up on 3aw shortly.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Miller on 3aw
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 01:25:04 PM »
Miller on 3aw

* Known Trent for a couple of years. Had him down at the club past 12 months.

* Rohan Connolly said we're building a good collection of skilled midfielders. Miller agreed. Reason for adding McMahon and Mitch Morton too.

* Rance - Miller openly admitted he was surprised. Didn't do too much work on Rance in the last 2 weeks as we thought that he'd be gone before pick 18. Agonised over Selwood and Rance when our turn came. Both good players. Adam Maric there too. Big strong 193cm kid to add to Thursty and McGuane in defence. Adds to our armoury. Putt a ruckman added too.

* We did all this homework on players who we thought would be around at 18 but ended up had gone but then find Rance and Selwood were still around.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 01:41:57 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
Re: Miller coming up on 3aw
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 02:16:45 PM »

Rance slipping to 18 surprised everyone. Most of the selections around picks 10-17 were totally unexpected. Even if we had kept hold of pick 19 (which I agree we should have but anyway) no way we would've thought we could have got both Rance and Selwood.

I know what you mean MT but part of the reasoning behind selecting mcMahon was it was considered a shallow draft, yet a guy that Francis Jackson was white hot on taking was still available at a pick we dispensed with, and once again highlighted that top 20 picks are gold that shouldn't be traded........especially for a non-pressing structure addition!

Ask FJ if he'd rather a 17yo Selwood or a 24 yo Mcmahon on our list in private and see what he says!
The rest l just wasted.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 04:47:56 PM »

I know what you mean MT but part of the reasoning behind selecting mcMahon was it was considered a shallow draft, yet a guy that Francis Jackson was white hot on taking was still available at a pick we dispensed with, and once again highlighted that top 20 picks are gold that shouldn't be traded........especially for a non-pressing structure addition!

Ask FJ if he'd rather a 17yo Selwood or a 24 yo Mcmahon on our list in private and see what he says!
I agree with you struggles and that is the precise reason why you hold onto good picks. Every year someone slips due to other clubs going for needed types instead of best available. All I'm saying is no one expected Rance and Selwood to last past the first round.

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 05:53:01 PM »

I agree with you struggles and that is the precise reason why you hold onto good picks. Every year someone slips due to other clubs going for needed types instead of best available. All I'm saying is no one expected Rance and Selwood to last past the first round.

That's certainly the case.

At the draft night there was a group of 8 players that Frank and Miller didn't even bother discussing with us as they were certanties to be gone.
Selwood and Rance were both part of that group, with Dangefield and McEvoy being targetted as likely at 18 who both went 1st round.

I guess my point is despite what various media outlets suggest, there's no really 'weak' drafts, and certainly no weak top 20.
The rest l just wasted.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 09:40:59 PM »

That's certainly the case.

At the draft night there was a group of 8 players that Frank and Miller didn't even bother discussing with us as they were certanties to be gone.
Selwood and Rance were both part of that group, with Dangefield and McEvoy being targetted as likely at 18 who both went 1st round.

I guess my point is despite what various media outlets suggest, there's no really 'weak' drafts, and certainly no weak top 20.
There's no doubt about that struggles. Probably the difference is how deep/shallow a draft is but as you rightly say no draft is as shallow to excuse trading away top 20 picks. Even in this draft everybdy was saying it went to at least pick 25-30.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tip-top Cotchin to Tigers (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 05:47:36 AM »
 Tip-top Cotchin to Tigers
25 November 2007   Sunday Herald Sun
Jackie Epstein

RICHMOND has applied the finishing touch of class to its midfield by selecting ready-made teenager Trent Cotchin at No. 2 yesterday.

Football manager Greg Miller said the club had kept an eye on Cotchin for two years and rated him a class addition.

"He came down in January through the AIS/AFL Academy and we were like, 'How good would it be to have him on your list?' " Miller said.

"And now it's come to fruition we're over the moon about it. The Tiger fans will be chaffing at the bit to see him playing alongside the (Richard) Tamblings and Brett Deledios and Dean Polos in the next few years. It'll be great."

Cotchin suffered a broken ankle playing with the Northern Knights in the TAC Cup finals and missed most of draft camp testing while on crutches.

He will start in the Tiger rehab group tomorrow, but Miller has no doubt he is capable of slotting straight into the senior line-up.

"He'll be a slow starter, but he'll be fine, absolutely, straight into the midfield," Miller said.

"He is equally balanced on both sides of his body and those sorts of attributes are important."

One of Cotchin's favourite players is 2004 No. 1 pick Deledio.

Flanked by parents Peter and Kath, two sisters and girlfriend Lilah Nieuwland, he said he couldn't wait to start at Punt Rd.

His nerves were soothed when the Tigers confirmed they would take him this week.

"I would love to play Round 1, but I have got a lot of challenges ahead first," he said.

"I got off crutches two weeks ago and am slowly increasing the workload at the moment, so hopefully I am running shortly."

The Tigers also added some much needed height to their list by selecting Alex Rance at No. 18 and Dean Putt at No. 51.

They passed on their final pick with a view to possibly picking up former Collingwood ruckman Guy Richards, who has joined them for pre-season training.

"Alex Rance was a bit of a surprise to be there," Miller said. "He adds real size to our list. He's a big strong boy who can play key back and we need that sort of player.

"Our third choice was big, tall power forward Dean Putt, so we've added some height."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22815754%255E20322,00.html