Author Topic: Being patient to 2009?  (Read 781 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Being patient to 2009?
« on: March 26, 2006, 06:08:15 AM »
"Through five years of experience comes five years of development. You rarely go from an under 19 player to a star overnight.

Going by Mick McGuane's quote above in the Herald-Sun today we might make the finals before 2009 but won't be a serious contender until then when Lids, Blingers and co have got 5 years under their belt.

Your guys thoughts?   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Moi

Re: Being patient to 2009?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 12:31:53 PM »
Of our seniors, who will still be there in 4 years?  Doubts on these players still being there, and if they are they'll be on their last legs as league players.

Gas
Kellaway
Richo
Browny
Joel
Knobel
Chaff
Hall
Johnston
Stafford
Tiv
Simmo should be there by virtue of a great contract  ::)

That'll be a lot of experience lost, but i'm pretty sure there's a few kids on our list now that can not only replace them, but do better. I think our kids are great, but with the exception of Browny, Joel and Richo i'm not sure most of our seniors are up to winning a premiership, so four years is probably a good estimate of when we will be in contention.  I'm guessing McGuane doesn't rate our senior list either, hence why he said four years before we become finals regulars.

Can the Tiger faithful put up with four more years though?  Got no choice really.

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 01:32:23 PM »
Moi is correct- we have no choice, people are running around saying top 4 this season, finals this season. i doubt we
ll make the 8 and  to be honest we are looking at 14-16th finish.

With a number of players finishing up we need to get some good picks again. By the end of 2007 i expect us to be around the 8, 2008 i expect us to consolidate in the 8 and 2009 id be disappointed if we werent a real chance, but in the end, for that to occur our club needs to have some balls- and get rid of players who are coming up to the end of their careers and may be worth something in trade week and we must get rid of the players who arent up to it. We need another group of 8 or so youngsters to be picked at the 2006 national draft and a poor finish this year will get us atleast 2 picks in the top 20 possibly 3 players- depending on how bad weve done. We need to look at the KPP players and select atleast 2 maybe 3 at this years draft.

Offline harry bosch

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 01:43:36 PM »
Perhaps i am being overly pessimistic(or realistic?) but i think it would be more likely 2011 or so before we could become a genuine contender..
Given some of the reasons pointed out(older players retiring etc) i cannot see us being there by 2009...

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 07:31:58 PM »
4 years is a long time in footy. The Lions went from wooden spooners (98) to multi-premiers in that space of time while Sheeds has continually rebuilt the bombers list in 4-5 year cycles for the past 25 years.

I agree with Ramps that in this year's draft we need a couple of top KPP from early picks. If they are class acts they'll be key players for us by 2009. I also agree with Moi that most of our senior core will be gone but that's ok over a 4 year term as the likes of Cogs, Tuck, Newman, Pettifer and Schulz will become the senior core while Lids, Blingers, Raines and hopefully a number of our newbie teenagers will be regular senior players hitting their peaks in their early twenties. The key now is to match the number of young talented midfielders and smalls we have coming through with talls to replace Gas and Richo especially.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 12:51:00 PM »
There are exceptions to the rule, but generally, teams need a number of finals campaigns before they can be considered genuine contenders.  We have a long way to go before we are anywhere near close to resembling that.

Our list is too unbalanced, and our depth not very deep, for anyone to consider us even being good enough to make finals this year.  Other teams will have to fall over themselves and everything will have to go our way for that to happen.

4 years is a long time in footy. The Lions went from wooden spooners (98) to multi-premiers in that space of time while Sheeds has continually rebuilt the bombers list in 4-5 year cycles for the past 25 years.

The difference between them and RFC is that those clubs had lists that took them to the finals on a regular basis, before they became premiers, so people could rightly talk them up.  We cannot really measure how much difference it makes to teams that have that sort of experience, and it’s hard to say whether home and away games really prepare teams for the step up needed to play finals footy.  But you’d think it would give teams an advantage.

If we’ve had 1 or 2 finals campaigns by 2009 people can start talking us up then.  Right now, the ‘potential’ of our list alone isn’t enough to convince anyone of anything.  Only finals footy can really do that.  And, basically, I’m not expecting a whole lot from us until our depth improves, which will take a few more seasons yet, as others have outlined.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 02:07:01 PM »
Perhaps i am being overly pessimistic(or realistic?) but i think it would be more likely 2011 or so before we could become a genuine contender..
Given some of the reasons pointed out(older players retiring etc) i cannot see us being there by 2009...
HB you are OER's oracle  :bow