Author Topic: Plough's aftermatch media conference / More relief than joy for Wallace  (Read 598 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
3aw played a snippet of Wallace's press conference. He was also interviewed by Ch 10 after the game

* Freo are a dangerous side. Saw them a fortnight ago 2 goals up on Sydney late in the game.

* Freo were putting numbers behind the ball. So our midfielders went forward to man them which enable us to get more goals out of our midfielders.

* 3/4 time: I told the boys to use the ball by foot more even if it was chipping the footy to just maintain possession and break through the zone. We were sharing the ball by hand too much and couldn't get through and kept turning over the footy. We weren't playing well but we just needed to get the job done.

* People forget we had 11 players today with less than 50 games experience so we're still a young side. Actually thought our better/senior players were down in the first half and that left too much to our young guys although they stood up. Senior players played better in the second half.

* Are we ready to play finals? Well it's out of our hands but we've drawn with the dogs and beat the Hawks last week who are both playing finals.

* Browny still in the mix to play next week but if results don't go our way this weekend then he won't play.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 07:11:17 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Plough's aftermatch media conference / More relief than joy for Wallace
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 07:10:21 PM »
More relief than joy for Wallace
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen
6:48 PM Sat 23 August, 2008

IT WAS difficult to work out what Richmond coach Terry Wallace was feeling after his side's seven-point win over Fremantle -- frustration and relief were both evident.

The Tigers played somewhat manic football for the majority of the match, and paid the price with turnover after turnover, but when they calmed down in the last four consecutive goals gave them the winning break.

The hosts trailed at every change, and Wallace's frustration was evident both in the coaches box and in the post-match media conference.

"From our point-of-view, we didn't think we played well," he said. "Particularly at half time, we had a lot of senior players that hadn't had a lot of footy and were down, which happens at times.

"But you don't always play well, and it's not always on your terms.

"This opposition were two goals in front of Sydney (with just minutes to go) in Sydney a couple of weeks ago, and they were a dangerous opponent coming into this match.

"But in the last quarter our boys found a way to win the game, which was the most important thing.

"I think we handled the last quarter better. I know they got close to us again at the end, but we came from seven or eight points behind at three-quarter time and got ourselves nearly three goals in front, so that's a fair turnaround when you're not playing great footy.

"I just thought we controlled the tempo in that period of time, and probably showed more control than what we had."

The majority of the game was played at a far more frenetic pace than Richmond's superb undoing of the Hawks last week, and although Wallace said that although teams needed to employ different game plans for each different opposition, he was glad his players finally worked out that  a change was needed.

"Every week you're dished up something else, and you've got to be prepared to adjust, but in saying that, I thought we played on ad nauseum in the early part of the game, and actually ran ourselves into trouble.

"The pleasing thing was that at three-quarter time they've got it through their heads  - it might have taken a quarter or so longer than we hoped – but they actually got it through their heads that we had to slow down the game ourselves and keep more control of it.

"When the game was there to be won, we controlled that part of the game better."

http://afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=66147

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Kids are doing okay: Wallace (RFC)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 02:00:17 PM »
Kids are doing okay
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen
12:11 PM Mon 25 August, 2008

KIDS ARE the long-term foundation of any successful rebuilding campaign and Richmond coach Terry Wallace says his kids are going okay.

Still with a lot to learn, but going okay.

The Tigers finished 16th last year with just three wins and a draw and this season have already notched 10 victories and a draw, with Melbourne as the season-closer on Sunday.

After the nail-biting win over Fremantle on Saturday, Wallace was at pains to point out how inexperienced the bulk of his team was.

"Look, the reality is that we've got a very young side out there, and I think that gets lost on people at times," he said.

"Today, again, we had 11 players who had played less than 50 games. The two sides in the competition that were the youngest this round were us and Melbourne – both had 11 players under 50 games.

"We thought that those young boys held sway in tight situations, and look, they'll grow and they'll learn and improve."

One area pinpointed for improvement by Wallace was the Tigers' defence which allowed Fremantle to kick easy goals on Saturday.

Richmond's three key defenders – Will Thursfield, Luke McGuane and Kelvin Moore – can expect a little more facetime with Wallace this week.

"Yeah, a bit wobbly – I must say that I thought we were a bit wobbly today down the backline, and certainly we need to improve on that next week," Wallace said.

"I spoke to some of those players – they got a fair bit of publicity the week before in the lead-up to the Hawthorn game and steeled themselves up.

"None of those key defenders have played 50 games, they're in that group, so they are young.

"With (Fremantle star forward Matthew) Pavlich not playing whether you just let your hair down a little bit, who knows, but they'll learn from it.

"We'll be learning together this week."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=66230