Author Topic: cancell hotmail account  (Read 4034 times)

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
cancell hotmail account
« on: June 17, 2008, 11:37:38 PM »
did anyone else get one of these

is it genuine or what???!!!

Subject: Hotmail Warning!!! ( Verify Your Account now To Avoid It Closed)‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 06:13:03 +0000

Dear Account User

This Email is from Hotmail Customer Care and we are sending it to every Hotmail Email User Accounts Owner for safety. we are having congestions due to the anonymous registration of Hotmail accounts so we are shutting down some Hotmail accounts and your account was among those to be deleted. We are sending this email to you so that you can verify and let us know if you still want to use this account. If you are still interested please confirm your account by filling the space below.Your User name, password, date of birth and your country information would be needed to verify your account.

Due to the congestion in all Hotmail users and removal of all unused Hotmail Accounts, Hotmail would be shutting down all unused Accounts, You will have to confirm your E-mail by filling out your Login Information below after clicking the reply button, or your account will be suspended within 24 hours for security reasons.

* Username: ..............................
* Password: ................................
* Date of Birth: ............................
* Country Or Territory: ................

After following the instructions in the sheet, your account will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Thanks for your attention to this request. We apologize for any inconveniences.

Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his/her account after two weeks of receiving this warning will lose his or her account permanently.

Sincerely,
The Windows Live Hotmail Team
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: cancell hotmail account
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 07:24:45 AM »
Bit suss.  My  hubby had someone hack into his hotmail account, change the secret question and use his hotmail name to fraudulently sell stuff on Ebay.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 08:22:24 AM »
Bit suss.  My  hubby had someone hack into his hotmail account, change the secret question and use his hotmail name to fraudulently sell stuff on Ebay.

same here. but it wa my older brother who also had money transferred out of his Westpac account.

Id recommend you email Msn/Hotmail to verify the email.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 08:22:50 PM »
Looks a scam to me. No legit organisation requests people to send unencrypted passwords via email.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 04:14:50 PM »
Yes this is a scam! I prevent personal data theft for our clients on a daily basis. Tiga's No1 Internet security rule....Never EVER give out personal details to anyone on the Internet no matter how official they look. NO EXCEPTIONS!! If they don't know your details already then they are not supposed to have them in the first place!! Ignore idle threats of closing accounts or updating details etc.... Oh and no legitimate Bank will ever correspond via email requiring you to send personal information to them.

Moi

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 04:17:39 PM »
Tiga, how bad is it out there with this sort of stuff.
Do many people fall for it?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 05:51:05 PM »
Moi, send tiga your bank account and PIN numbers and he'll let you know lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 12:13:19 AM »
lol MT... :rollin :rollin

Moi, plenty have been stung by "phishing" as it is officially called, especially in the early days of the Nigerian fraudsters and the notorious bank detail emails. Most of these are now trapped by systems we put in place and never see the light of day but home users with less accurate spam filters are still at risk of this sort of fraud but remember the old saying, if its sounds too good to be true, it usually is. I recently went to a security seminar which detailed how cyber criminals now act in stealth rather than a few years ago when if you got a virus, your computer crashed or you lost important data or your browser opened continuously. Nowdays its all about retreiving personal information silently through backdoors and key stroke loggers sent in by trojans or turning your computer into a "zombie" for the proliferation of spam or denial of service attacks.
"Pump and dumps" are also very popular these days where fraudsters send out share tips via email for listed companies with nothing but a registered name or a single desk in venezuela. People buy the legitimately purchaseable shares and once enough shares have been bought, the primary share holders bail out with the proceeds and the duped investors are left with shares that have $0 value as there was never any substance to them. People still get sucked in by these on a regular basis.

Moi

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 08:48:11 AM »
Moi, send tiga your bank account and PIN numbers and he'll let you know lol.
Done lol  :thumbsup

Thanks Tiga, I think these people are the lowest form of garbage.  Aren't there laws against phishers?  Why can't the emails they send be traced.  Why are the phishers smarter than the massive so-called criminal intelligence networks out there?  Gotta stop these guys before the internet is just unusable.
Having said that, I'm typing this while I've got a virus on my computer  :banghead

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 11:38:38 PM »
Moi, they are scum and the reason why the don't get caught is that they use Joe Public's unprotected home computer to do their dirty work. A lot of phishing
comes from organised crime syndicate's based in the former soviet union (Russian Mafia). Try arresting those blokes! Very nasty pieces of work that aren't afraid to cause
serious pain. Phishing is a hobby for them, a sideline from their usual maming, killing, drugs, prostitution and extortion. Its easy money.