Author Topic: Rampaging Tigers 1st Phantom Draft for 2004  (Read 2441 times)

PuntRdRoar

Rampaging Tigers 1st Phantom Draft for 2004
« on: September 11, 2004, 11:33:26 AM »
After much information gathering, and remaining quiet on some key prospects...I have decided to put together my first phantom draft for 2004. I would have kept quiet on my draft picks however it has come to my knowledge in the past 24 hours that 1 player 1 have rated in the top 5 picks and was being kept hidden away by South Australian clubs...(but Greg Miller- knew anyway) is now widely known about. So here it is....Ramps' Phantom Draft for 2004 (Well atleast the top 20 picks anyway incorporating 3 Richmond selections.

1. Richmond: Thomas Reddin- (SANFL)
2. Hawthorn: Brett Deledio- (Mur)
3. Western: Ryan Griffen- (SANFL)
4. Richmond: Lance Franklin- (WAFL)
5. Hawthorn: Jaryd Roughead- (Gips)
6. Western: Richard Tambling- (NT)
7. Collingwood: Jordan Lewis- (Gee)
8. Adelaide: Ben Eckermann- (SANFL)
9. Carlton: Angus Monfries- (SANFL)
10. Kangaroos: Ryan Willits- (Nor)
11. Fremantle: Ben Sharp- (Oak)
12. WCE: Ruory Kirky- (Ben)
13. Melb: Fabian DeLuca- (Eas)
14. Essendon: Chris Egan- (Mur)
15. Sydney: Cameron Wood- (SANFL)
16. Geelong: Chad Gibson- (SANFL)
17. St Kilda: John Meeson- (Geel)
18. Brisbane:Danny Meyer- (SANFL)
19. Port Adelaide: Heath Grundy (SANFL)
20. Richmond: Ryan Jackson (Nor)

PS: My top 20 picks does not take into consideration trading of players and picks. I believe Richmond could end up with atleast 1 more pick in the top 10 and one extra between 10 and 20. In those instances- I believe that Richmond would take Cameron Wood and another midfielder. Richmond also has another pick at 36. Whilst he isnt mentioned at being rated this high...If Sam Robertson is available at 36 I would take Robertson- Robertson at 192cm is worth the risk. Beyond that...the draft is a raffle.

In a perfect world...Reddin would not have been found out and we could have taken him later in the draft...that would have meant we probably could have taken Deledio then Franklin-
« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 12:19:13 PM by RampagingTiger »

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Rampaging Tigers 1st Phantom Draft for 2004
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 11:58:59 AM »
rampo tell us about Reddin.

Height Weight position and abilities please

RonBranton

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 12:10:50 PM »
Franklin might be a diificult one to keep in Victoria in year three.

Re other trades -

Bruce reportedly (from his manager) wants 300 - 350 to stay at Melbourne - Ottons was on 440 in his last year (from a good source) and might leave RFC for more - doesn't compute unless we have offered Ottens less.

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 12:14:46 PM »
I first became aware of Reddin about 2 months ago. I have friends in SA who take a close interest in young footballers coming up...Reddin is 17...I believe he is underage but has been given an exemption!. Hes predominantly played school footy for Sacred Heart i think...He is 194cm, about 83-84kgs, hes very mobile and quick for his size- Hes predominantly played at CHF for his team. Takes a good grab, shows outstanding leadership qualities on the park...or so ive been told.

Furthermore, there was no appearance from the young man in the CB Cup...the story goes that adelaide were keen to keep him out of the spotlight. Reddin is Considered by many to be the top SA prospect this year. I raised the subject of Reddin with Jacko on here a week ago. Until then...I hadnt seen his name mentioned in any preseason draft, newspaper, or draft commentary...unfortunately in the past 48 hours ive seen his name listed in atleast 3 different places including the newspapers. Reddin is no longer a secret and as such requires us to take him either at 1 or 4...imho-i wouldnt be surprised if he gets taken at 1 anyway.

The upshot is...is that if Franklin could be settled down at CHB and we have Reddin at CHF...and we can nab someone like Robertson at 36 who I think if he puts on some weight could eventually go to full back...well basically include Schulz and thats the goal to goal line for the next 10 years. And that my friends is a very good reason to think that Wallace may at some stage become a Richmond Premiership Coach!

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 12:16:23 PM »
stuff where has he been mentioned.

chance to go no1 he better be good!

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 03:01:06 PM »
From what Ive been told Reddin is very very good. If this is true and I dont have any doubt that it is...then the opportunity to take a 17yo CHF and a 18yo CHB/CHF would be to good to refuse. I know everyone wants Deledio...but as someone who follows junior footy let me say this about all footballers and all the young kids..."None of them are perfect footballers"

Deledio misses to many targets for me
Griffen has a dodgy knee according to some
Tambling is too Skinny
Franklin didnt perform well at the CB Cup...

so what im saying is...we have to get over the problems and take the best kids with the best potential in helping Richmond win a flag... Key position players win flags...and as such i would go for a Reddin/Franklin one-two selection!

Offline wrennyboy

• Future Richmond star
  • Captain Coughlan
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2004, 03:29:42 PM »
Your absoulotly kidding me. You want us to take a guy that didnt even play in teh championships at number 1? Pick number 1 should be for proven players with potential. Deledio is clearly the number 1 and i am not just saying that i have been watching brett since he made the team in the under 16's. He is a gifted player that is very versatile and thats a big advantage cause unlike other players if they cant make the grade in teh one position then they lose confidence. Brett can play anywhere. While i dont know anything about redden maybe pick 20 if your so hyped up about him but seriously mate you are stupid to think we would take redden pick 1.

If we get redden pick 1 i will buy every one in this room a richmond membership for the next 5 years.
wrenny

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2004, 04:03:35 PM »
By in the room do you mean this forum?
I get a family membership. Just in case wrenny. ;)
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2004, 05:22:38 PM »
I agree with wrenny (apart from the buying memberships offer lol ;D). We would be totally braindead to take on a risk like that with our first pick. We are not in a position to try and be cute with our draft selections. Take the best kid available. Just because at the moment we lack KPP (especially defenders) and young ruckman doesn't mean we draft a whole heap these types in one go ::).

Here's some info about Redden on the footydraft site (pick #46). Granted all these phantom drafts are done before seeing these kids at the draft camp.

Thomas Redden

Club: Sacred Heart/Glenelg
DOB: May 1987 Hgt: 190cm Wgt: 88kg
Position: Onballer
Natural Foot: Right

Honours:
National Draft Camp 2004

Strengths: Thomas could be one of the surprises of the draft, getting a draft camp invite despite not playing for SA in the carnival. He has spent most of the year playing school football for Sacred Heart where he has been a star.

Redden is a tall midfielder with the ability to play tall, in a similar mould to former schoolmate Andrew Mackie. He was given an exemption into this year's draft so there is plenty of scope for improvement. He has good pace, good skills and his versatility will make him very attractive to most clubs.

Weaknesses: Almost unproven at the elite level, clubs are really taking a gamble on selecting Redden.

Footydraft.com comment: Every year Sacred Heart seem to produce a player from left-field, and Redden looks like it for 2004. Tall midfielders are gold for any AFL recruiter and this should see Thomas selected.

http://www.footydraft.com/players.php?player=thomas_redden
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Jackstar

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2004, 05:41:50 PM »
As i have posted somewhere before, the mail is the we are very keen on players in S.A. ;)
Ramps could be"" nearly"" on the mark here.
Dont forget Griffin ;)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2004, 06:10:48 PM »
I can understand if we went for Griffen as he's a young kid who has played some senior SANFL games.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2004, 07:23:51 PM »
Dont blame me for my opinion...my opinion is purely based on what ive heard from some people in SA who i rate as people who know what a talented player looks like.To be honest, i dont care what other drafts have put up...I was unaware that the footy site had put reddin at 46...just shows that people have differing views. I will stick to the people who in the past 3 or 4 drafts have picked players that were drafted later in the draft...whilst earlier selections failed. Maybe Reddin could have been taken at 46 or in our case 36 (round 3) but you should always remember one thing gentlemen...look at the quote from the footy site on reddin again...

it says...similar to mackie .... starred all year in school footy!.... then remember this...Mackie was taken by Geelong as a top 10 pick. Then ask yourselves why a star with the most famous footballing school in South Australia...didnt get selected for the CB Cup?  Well the answer is...the Crows wanted to pick him up with a late pick.

PS...My information is that there are maybe 1 or 2 others who I will also name as being in a similar boat to Reddin...that is...they were kept out of the CB Cup so they could be picked up by Adelaide and Port Adelaide respectively. In those instances...these players would be top 20 picks!

And Jacko...probably knows more than what hes telling ;D

Offline wrennyboy

• Future Richmond star
  • Captain Coughlan
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2004, 10:47:27 AM »
Im not blaming you ramps its just i so want the tigers to do right in this draft. We cannot go for what we need in the first 2 picks anyway. We have to take best available. And in my opinion that is still deledio and that is personal opinion and my viewing. We could maybe get redden pick 20 or whateva.
wrenny

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2004, 09:37:16 PM »
Wrenny: I refer you back to your comment in a previous post where you say that we shouldnt take the risk of picking someone with no1 pick that wasnt playing in the CB Cup...I want to say these things about this years CB Cup-

1) It was a very ordinary carnival

2) Brett Deledio performed well below what I would expect from a number 1 pick...Infact I would say he was extremely disappointing...In the three games i saw ...i only saw him perform for approx 1/4 or about 20 minutes. The rest of the time he was average

3) For me the best player at the carnival...and by a long long way...was Ryan Griffen from South Australia. He performed at a much higher level at the carnival than Deledio

4) Tambling for whom you also had major positives is a very skinny kid who will struggle at a club like ours. Further, he was playing in division 2...and was pitted against some overated and sometimes overweight and fat footballers from other states. My grandmother could have played well against some of those guys

5) Lance Franklin was disappointing. Questions about his want to play at high levels all the time arose from the CB Cup. I have a suspicion that the kid wanted to fall down the draft order a little...maybe to freo or wce.

6) The only thing that Deledio has in his favour over the last 5 weeks was his performance in kicking 6 in a game. Without that performance Griffen would be a clear cut number 1 selection. I still believe at this stage that Griffen is still RFCs preferred choice. This may change if Deledio produces an outstanding Draft Camp. Im also looking for Reddin to become more widely known. I wouldnt be surprised to see him now start to pop up in phantom draft top 10's- just remember- where you heard about him first ;)

If the draft was held tomorrow...and I was drafting for RFC...I would take 1) Griffen 4) Reddin. And Id be praying like hell that Reddins name doesnt get called before 4.

I will update my phantom draft after draft camp wrenny. Who knows buddy...depending on how they perform...I may give you something to be happy about and put Deledio at 1 :scream