Author Topic: No punting required: best song found on Punt Rd (Age)  (Read 1279 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
No punting required: best song found on Punt Rd (Age)
« on: July 11, 2008, 04:07:37 PM »
No punting required: best song found on Punt Rd
Cameron Noakes | July 11, 2008

AS PART of the AFL's 150th year celebrations, the Mongrel Punter was asked to adjudge the clubs' songs.

So in another exclusive for this column (after I leaked a press release to myself) the winners of each category have been revealed.

BEST NEW SONG: Adelaide
What the judges said: Sport 927 breakfast co-host Angela Pippos: "Without a doubt, my favourite line in the Crows' song is Admiration of the nation, Our determination shows…

"This gem of a couplet is always followed by: 'Oo Oo' (the kind of grunting sound an ape makes). And it goes beautifully with a fist-pump; so primal and cathartic too." (Steady on, Ange.)

MOST IRONIC: Collingwood
Oh, the premiership's a cakewalk.

What the judges said: "For a club that has lost 25 grand finals, this category was a no-contest."

MOST PLAYED SONG: Geelong
What the judges said: ABC sports commentator Gerard Whately: "I like the apparently forgotten second verse — a bit like the national anthem."

So stand up and fight, remember our tradition, so stand up and fight, it's always been our ambition …and from when the ball is bounced, to the final bell, STAND UP AND FIGHT LIKE HELL!

"I particularly like the last line and the fact it always appears in capital letters implying it should be shouted 'YELLOW AND BLACK' style." (No bias here.)

BEST INTRO: Carlton
What the judges said: Age journalist and Channel 10 football personality Samantha Lane: "Da da da da-ta, da da da da-ta, da da da da da da da da da … da da da … We are…" (OK, that's enough, Sam.)

BEST LINE: Sydney Swans.
Shake down the thunder from the sky.

What the judges said (umm, me): "To turn the sky into something tangible and then create imagery of a giant being reaching up, grabbing it, and shaking the living daylights out of it is powerful and poetic. Did Yeats write it?"

WORST LYRIC: Port Adelaide
We'll never stop, stop, stop, til we're top, top, top …What the judges said: "Primary school kids could do better."

WORST SONG: West Coast Eagles
What the judges said: "The Eagles song is a turkey, so bad it's actually hard to know where to start."

And the winner of the ultimate, if not final, category is …

BEST SONG: Richmond.

What the judges said: Political lecturer and media commentator Waleed Aly: "It would be easy to go straight for Yellow and Black and say that's the zenith of all football music. But if I'm being honest, I'll tell you it's all about the trumpets. Next time, pay close attention to the instrumental break of the Richmond theme song. The interplay between the trombones and the trumpets is priceless — clearly intended to symbolise the interaction of a quality midfield with an on-song forward line." (One suspects he thinks too much about the Richmond song.)

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/no-punting-required-best-song-found-on-punt-rd/2008/07/10/1215658037813.html

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: No punting required: best song found on Punt Rd (Age)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 05:19:38 PM »
We will always have the theme song....

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 06:50:29 PM »
And the newer interstate sides will always have the worst  :chuck.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

blx

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 12:11:59 AM »
i dont know, that freo song just makes me kak.

i immediately think of big burly hairy pirates on the deck of their ship rollicking their clench fisted arms back n forth "FREEEEE...OHHHH, FREEEEE...OHHHH" BWARHAHAHAHAHA see what i mean, it just makes me kak!!!  ;D

If it aint the worst it has to be the funniest  :cheers

Offline shannon

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 07:56:53 AM »
we have the best song, but have been the worst performed club in the modern era. when it comes down to whats important, who really cares how good our song is, we rarely bloody sing it
DELEDIO FOR CAPTAIN ASAP!

Tigermonk

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 08:14:38 AM »
l have a habit of not listening to other clubs sing thier club song
l either left the arena or shutoff the box in disappointment.
when with the family l just block the ears  ;D

your right Shannon we hardly bloody hear the Richmond song

Ox

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 08:48:55 AM »
Very song i crap.

Listen to the braber shop quartet vocals FFS.

Sounds like a bunch of inbred convicts.

While our song is a favorite - give me a break - the tools cant sing it.

None of them can - never keep time,song ends up quiceker than when they started it.
Whiteboy syndrome.

As for all the bup bups andstuff they add to make it more fun...........

I dont enjoy hearing our song as much anymore,probably cause i can detect
that they DGAF when they sing it.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 11:34:49 AM »
Big night, last night OX ?  :lol

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 02:08:25 PM »

None of them can - never keep time,song ends up quiceker than when they started it.
Whiteboy syndrome.

What a shame we never got Elmore James to record a version.