Author Topic: Wallace's aftermatch media conference / Ninth alright for Tigers  (Read 911 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ninth alright for Tigers
richmondfc.com.au
By Ben Casanelia
6:02 PM Sun 31 August, 2008

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace says his side is locked and loaded for season 2009 after rounding out its 2008 home and away campaign with a comprehensive dismantling of wooden-spooner Melbourne.

The win was the Tigers 11th of the season and eight from its last 11 games – only red-hot premiership favourite Geelong has won more games in the second half of the season.

“We’ll take ninth, that’s where we’re at,” Wallace said of the Tigers final ladder position.

“We believe that this time around it’s a strong ninth.

“I genuinely think we are on the improve and what we’ve got to do is take that momentum into summer and ride into the start of next season.”

Wallace hopes the club can add to its list during the October trading period. The Tigers are rumoured to be keen to lure out of contract Fremantle ruckman Robert Warnock to back up the aging Troy Simmonds.

Wallace said the decision might not be his to make.

“I’d like to think we’ve set the scene for the footy club and I’d like to think the club would now give us opportunity got go to the market place,” he said.

“Decisions have to be made there and they’re not all my decisions.

“I think we are now locked and loaded and ready to be able to put in some form of challenge going into next year. What that means is do we go with the group we’ve got at the moment, or can we go out into the market place and add to that?

“That’s a financial decision, it’s not always a footy decision.”

The Tiger coach said 11 wins did not exceed his pre-season expectations and he was thrilled the side was able to finish the year strongly despite fielding a number of inexperienced players.

He said the key to the club’s future success was to get more games into the group and keep it intact for the long haul.

“We’ve come a fair way and we’ve still got a long way to go,” he said.

“Always the challenge for us was to get the young blokes into reasonable form before our senior players were at retirement stage

“That’s clearly a battle we’ve still got but our senior guys have still got a bit of senior footy in them.”

Joel Bowden, whose career looked to be in trouble when he was dropped earlier in the year, kicked three goals and had 34 possessions to be among the best against Melbourne.

Wallace predicted Bowden would be used all over the ground again next season.

http://afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=66714

Ramps

Re: Wallace's aftermatch media conference / Ninth alright for Tigers
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 07:01:53 PM »
This is why there are questions over Wallace, there is no serious need to go to the market place at this point of time, we are better off going to the National draft- taking 3 picks in the national draft and 1 in the psd. Add Collard from the rookie list and that makes 5 not including any side bets on irish recruits. Thats more than enough. We dont need to be coughing up picks 8 and 27 or whatever for blokes like Warnock. 

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 07:14:45 PM »
This is why there are questions over Wallace, there is no serious need to go to the market place at this point of time, we are better off going to the National draft- taking 3 picks in the national draft and 1 in the psd. Add Collard from the rookie list and that makes 5 not including any side bets on irish recruits. Thats more than enough. We dont need to be coughing up picks 8 and 27 or whatever for blokes like Warnock. 

thats easy to say ramps but simmo is 31 next yr.

If he goes down its patto and graham. It will get ugly, and jack will be right back on this forum saying wallet should be sacked.

Damned if you do and damned if you dont.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 07:42:39 PM »
I said in another thread we need a ruckman, I would seriously consider White ? Pros Cons ??????

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 08:37:03 PM »
I agree. We should trade for Warnock. We all saw what happened last year when Patto had to act as our No.1 Ruckman with others filling in as the No.2. If Simmo is injured next year or even the next we have noone of size or experience to fill the void. I would love to think that Gus or Putt could step straight in but the reality is, they are miles away.

Picks 8 and 27 maybe the price we have to pay but I hope we get some bargaining power with some earlier trades of our own.

Stripes

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 08:42:16 PM »
I agree. We should trade for Warnock. We all saw what happened last year when Patto had to act as our No.1 Ruckman with others filling in as the No.2. If Simmo is injured next year or even the next we have noone of size or experience to fill the void. I would love to think that Gus or Putt could step straight in but the reality is, they are miles away.

Picks 8 and 27 maybe the price we have to pay but I hope we get some bargaining power with some earlier trades of our own.

Stripes

For Warnock?

Better check me into the psychiatric clinic if he gets traded for that amount of picks.   :help
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 09:31:59 PM »
Doctor!  ;)

I would suggest that we offer our second round draft pick plus any picks we gain through trades.

Stripes

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 10:41:22 PM »
I've posted on the Kerr thread so I won't get to heavy here except to mention that the board should get Wallace away from list management and get his focus on coaching & player development as he can be a formidable match day coach if allowed to set-up for it.

The acceptance of near enough is good enough, IMHO, sends a wrong message to the player group and the bar should be set higher during the pre-season.