Author Topic: Hawks' window of opportunity  (Read 2498 times)

Moi

Hawks' window of opportunity
« on: September 09, 2008, 03:48:05 PM »
Every so often teams reach their window of opportunity to win a flag.
And they only generally have a couple of years where they're at their peak before ageing of players etc take their toll and they have to go on the rebuild, a la, Swans, Freo.
I think it's the Hawks' time now.

BUT the great thing about it is I doubt they'll ever see it this time around with the Cats probably ruining the party for a couple more years yet.

Probably wishful thinking on my part, but I'm hoping the Cats keep on knocking the Hawks out of finals until we're ready to have a go  :thumbsup

The things you think of when you're trying to sleep lol

bushranger

Re: Hawks' window of opportunity
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 03:58:10 PM »
I think that what you have said is right and the Cats will spoil it for them. But it will be good to watch two top team at it for once in a final. As I think this will be a good one if both make it through. Not that I can see any team in there able to stop either team.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 06:12:52 PM »
And they only generally have a couple of years where they're at their peak before ageing of players etc take their toll and they have to go on the rebuild, a la, Swans, Freo.

BUT the great thing about it is I doubt they'll ever see it this time around with the Cats probably ruining the party for a couple more years yet.

Probably wishful thinking on my part, but I'm hoping the Cats keep on knocking the Hawks out of finals until we're ready to have a go  :thumbsup

dont kid yourself MOi, the Hawks will have a window foe the next 6-8 years MIN. A couple of years pull your head in.

the hawks best players are under 25 years of age.

Hodge, Buddy, Roughy, Ellis, Lewis, Campbell, Birchall, Lewis, Ladson, Rioli, Sewell
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 07:01:52 PM »
A promoters dream in 2011 based on Terry's 2007 predictions

A Richmond v Hawthorn Grand Final

Based on the selections in the 2005 draft and if the Hawks have not won a GF by then.

Hawks window of opportunity I feel is the next 4 -5 years based on salary cap, up and coming players who will be seeking extra $$$$$ injuries stability within the club, club management, club finances,quality of people within the club working behind closed doors, administration, as well as the psychology of the team. If today's scenario keeps prevailing and the Hawk Trolls hopefully will be bridesmaids to the Cats then possibly the desire may begin to wane due to getting so close and not winning. Of course it could have the opposite effect but the way the AFL operates especially with GC 17 in its infancy as well and no agenda to win them a flag at that point in time and the fact that the system will only give a club the opp of 4-5 years possibly 6-7 at most to build to or win a flag than the Hawks have till about 2013 to snare one.

Sydney started Roos era and rebuild post 1996 runners up circa 2002 when Roos took over. Won a flag in 2005 

W Coast rebuilt 2002 in Worsfold 1st year. Flag in 2006

Geelong started in Bombers 1st year 2000 and won flag in 2007.

Port rebuild in Choco's first year 1999 Flag in 2004

Brissie had a core of players already there when Lethal took over in 99 with J Brown the only stand out in the draft as well as shrewd trading in Michael and a few handy draftees that complemented the Fab Four in midfield.

Nevertheless based on that 4-7 years is the accepted plan although the Cats management plan and admin is so sound that they will be able to milk possibly another 2 years out of their plan although they made their charge into the upper echelon of the top 8 in 2004 so perhaps they are in only the 5th of 7 years of having an open premiership window. Scary.

Moi

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 07:32:36 PM »

dont kid yourself MOi, the Hawks will have a window foe the next 6-8 years MIN. A couple of years pull your head in.

the hawks best players are under 25 years of age.

Hodge, Buddy, Roughy, Ellis, Lewis, Campbell, Birchall, Lewis, Ladson, Rioli, Sewell
Just saying Dufas, that as good as their line up is, I reckon the Cats is better, and they picked a bad time to be contesting for the GF.
Having said that, they'll probably come out and win it, but it was just a thought.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 10:07:38 PM »
Only fair considering how many flags Hawthorn denied Geelong in the 80s

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 10:14:53 PM »
Only fair considering how many flags Hawthorn denied Geelong in the 80s

Was only one in 1989 although the Hawks did beat the Cats by 2pts in the 2nd semi in 1991. Hawks went on to win the flag. Cats lost to the Eagles the following week.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 10:58:05 PM »
Jeff last year said he wanted 2 flags in 5 years didn't he?

They'll only lose Crawf in the next couple of years. I think their next oldest is Croad at 28. The group they drafted b/w 1999-2001 should see them stay in the finals for the next 3-4 years  :P. No guarantees of a flag though. Hopefully their cockiness sees them stuff it up like the Saints have. Geelong of the late 80s/early 90s had Ablett's freakishness up forward yet there was always one side that was better than them.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 11:03:34 PM »

They'll only lose Crawf in the next couple of years. I think their next oldest is Croad at 28. The group they drafted b/w 1999-2001 should see them stay in the finals for the next 3-4 years  :P. No guarantees of a flag though. Hopefully their cockiness sees them stuff it up like the Saints have. Geelong of the late 80s/early 90s had Ablett's freakishness up forward yet there was always one side that was better than them.

Hawks have a winning culture winning flags im affraid to say, as do the bombers and blues

hawks will win a flag in the next 3 years no doubt about that.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 11:25:24 PM »

Hawks have a winning culture winning flags im affraid to say, as do the bombers and blues

17 years is a long time ago for a club with a supposedly winning culture  ;).

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 08:21:49 AM »

4 flags since 1983 suggests a winning culture making the finals all but 3 years since 1980 also.

i think you may want to take that comment back now mate.

Moi

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 08:34:33 AM »
You block off Buddy's supply, which the Cats are more than capable of, and the Hawks will struggle against them.
And this is a new era for the Hawks, with new leadership, new coach et al.  That so-called winning culture will be tested by the Cats.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 07:14:36 PM »

4 flags since 1983 suggests a winning culture making the finals all but 3 years since 1980 also.

i think you may want to take that comment back now mate.
The 80s are ancient history. They won 5 flags b/w 1983-1991 btw. One of the greatest teams ever but irrelevant to the Hawthorn team now.

The Hawks didn't make the finals 2002-2006, 1997-1999, 1995. That's 9 years without finals since 1995 and just twice to a PF (same as us). I'll stick by my comment.