Author Topic: Richo and Lids in All Australian Squad / Richo named on bench in All-Aus 22  (Read 2074 times)

Moi

Re: Richo and Lids in All Australian Squad
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 09:07:28 PM »
MT , do you know who the panel is that chose the team?

Moi

Re: Richo and Lids in All Australian Squad
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 09:10:37 PM »
MT , do you know who the panel is that chose the team?

Andrew Demetriou (chairman), Adrian Anderson, Rod Austin, Kevin Bartlett, Mark Bickley, Gerard Healy, Glen Jakovich, Robert Walls

According to BF

Moi

Re: All Australian Side
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 09:14:31 PM »
A leak.......from bomberblitz

B: Dale Morris (W Bulldogs) - Matthew Scarlett (Geelong) - Tom Harley (Geelong)
HB: Luke Hodge (Hawthorn) - Nathan Bock (Adelaide) - Sam Fisher (St Kilda)
C: James Bartel (Geelong) - Joel Corey (Geelong) - Adam Cooney (W Bulldogs)
HF: Steven Johnson (Geelong) - Nick Riewoldt (St Kilda) - Brent Harvey (N Melbourne)
F: Brendan Fevola (Carlton) - Lance Franklin (Hawthorn) - Paul Medhurst (Collingwood)
R: Dean Cox (West Coast) - Chris Judd (Carlton) - Gary Ablett Jnr (Geelong)
INT: Corey Enright (Geelong), Matthew Pavlich (Fremantle), Matthew Richardson (Richmond), Aaron Sandilands (Fremantle)

Captain: Chris Judd (Carlton)
Vice-Captain: Tom Harley (Geelong)

How did someone on Bomberblitz get this?

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 09:24:13 PM »
A leak.......from bomberblitz

B: Dale Morris (W Bulldogs) - Matthew Scarlett (Geelong) - Tom Harley (Geelong)
HB: Luke Hodge (Hawthorn) - Nathan Bock (Adelaide) - Sam Fisher (St Kilda)
C: James Bartel (Geelong) - Joel Corey (Geelong) - Adam Cooney (W Bulldogs)
HF: Steven Johnson (Geelong) - Nick Riewoldt (St Kilda) - Brent Harvey (N Melbourne)
F: Brendan Fevola (Carlton) - Lance Franklin (Hawthorn) - Paul Medhurst (Collingwood)
R: Dean Cox (West Coast) - Chris Judd (Carlton) - Gary Ablett Jnr (Geelong)
INT: Corey Enright (Geelong), Matthew Pavlich (Fremantle), Matthew Richardson (Richmond), Aaron Sandilands (Fremantle)

Captain: Chris Judd (Carlton)
Vice-Captain: Tom Harley (Geelong)

Yeah the way they have been carrying on over there you'd think they'd have included Bomber megastars in the AA SIDE like
Jason Laycock, Courtney Johns Bachar Houli and Angus Monfries :lol :rollin :lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 09:27:53 PM »
Didn't they get last year's AA side as well?

Moi

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 09:32:38 PM »
Didn't they get last year's AA side as well?
Apparently so, MT  :banghead

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Richo and Lids in All Australian Squad / Richo named on bench in All-Aus 22
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 09:42:16 PM »
Richo should be on the wing and Cooney on the bench. Richo actually played on the wing  ::) and kicked 48 goals and took the most marks in the comp for the year.

How did Judd get the captaincy  ???.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Moi

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 09:45:59 PM »
I think Richo missed out on a the 1996 side because his position, I think, was taken by Gehrig, so he was relegated to the bench.
Not sure of that, but from memory that was why he didn't make the main team, even though he kicked 94 goals or something!

Seems to be different this year with Cooney  ::)

Moi

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 09:47:04 PM »
Richo should be on the wing and Cooney on the bench. Richo actually played on the wing  ::) and kicked 48 goals and took the most marks in the comp for the year.

Two Carlton people on the panel  :(

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008, 09:48:11 PM »

Judd is a media darling. He could get a gun kill people in broad daylight with witnesses and CCTV recording it all and he would walk scot free due to a lack of evidence. Just shows what a farce some of these awards degenerate into. Last week Tom Harley was voted best captain in the AFL yet he can't take the mantle in the All Australian Side with Chris Judd seen as a more worthy leader. Smells very fishy to me :whistle

Moi

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2008, 09:57:34 PM »
I was wrong about the '96 team, might have been Mitchell White I was thinking of, because Richo played HFF for memory that year.

1996 All-Australian Team
B:    Nathan Burke (St Kilda)    Stephen Silvagni (Carlton)    Michael Sexton (Carlton)
HB:    Nathan Buckley (Collingwood)    Paul Roos (Sydney)    Peter Matera (West Coast)
C:    Chris Mainwaring (West Coast)    Paul Kelly (Sydney) (Captain)    Shane Crawford (Hawthorn)
HF:    James Hird (Essendon)    Wayne Carey (North Melbourne)    Mitchell White (West Coast)
F:    Michael Voss (Brisbane)    Tony Lockett (Sydney)    Darren Jarman (Adelaide)
Foll:    Corey McKernan (North Melbourne)    Robert Harvey (St Kilda)    Craig Lambert (Brisbane)
Int:    Garry Hocking (Geelong)    Glenn Archer (North Melbourne)    Matthew Richardson (Richmond)

Coach:    Rodney Eade (Sydney)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2008, 10:59:43 PM »

Judd is a media darling. He could get a gun kill people in broad daylight with witnesses and CCTV recording it all and he would walk scot free due to a lack of evidence. Just shows what a farce some of these awards degenerate into. Last week Tom Harley was voted best captain in the AFL yet he can't take the mantle in the All Australian Side with Chris Judd seen as a more worthy leader. Smells very fishy to me :whistle
LOL @ the bold bit HT74.

Since Harley took over as captain of Geelong they've gone from handbaggers to a side that's won 42 of their past 44 games or something incredible like that yet Judd wins the AA captaincy as captain of a side that jumped from 15th to 11th spot and had only 10 wins  ::). He was lucky to be named IMHO. His first half of the year was underwhelming. I would've given cry-baby Nick Riewoldt the captaincy ahead of Judd FFS. Riewoldt has carried the Saints over the line in nearly every win they've had.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2008, 11:43:23 PM »
I was wrong about the '96 team, might have been Mitchell White I was thinking of, because Richo played HFF for memory that year.

1996 All-Australian Team
B:    Nathan Burke (St Kilda)    Stephen Silvagni (Carlton)    Michael Sexton (Carlton)
HB:    Nathan Buckley (Collingwood)    Paul Roos (Sydney)    Peter Matera (West Coast)
C:    Chris Mainwaring (West Coast)    Paul Kelly (Sydney) (Captain)    Shane Crawford (Hawthorn)
HF:    James Hird (Essendon)    Wayne Carey (North Melbourne)    Mitchell White (West Coast)
F:    Michael Voss (Brisbane)    Tony Lockett (Sydney)    Darren Jarman (Adelaide)
Foll:    Corey McKernan (North Melbourne)    Robert Harvey (St Kilda)    Craig Lambert (Brisbane)
Int:    Garry Hocking (Geelong)    Glenn Archer (North Melbourne)    Matthew Richardson (Richmond)

Coach:    Rodney Eade (Sydney)

Richo's 3rd time named as All Australian. He made the starting 18 in a FP of the 1999 All-Australian Team:

B: Jason Akermanis (Brisbane) Justin Leppitsch (Brisbane) Ben Hart (Adelaide)
HB: Byron Pickett (Kangaroos) Stephen Silvagni (Carlton) Andrew McKay (Carlton)
C: Brad Johnson (Bulldogs) Nathan Buckley (Collingwood) Wayne Schwass (Sydney)
HF: Mark Mercuri (Essendon) Wayne Carey (Kangaroos) (Captain) Michael Voss (Brisbane)
F: Ben Cousins (West Coast) Matthew Lloyd (Essendon) Matthew Richardson (Richmond)
Foll: Matthew Allan (Carlton) Robert Harvey (St Kilda) Shane Crawford (Hawthorn)
Int: Peter F. Bell (Kangaroos) Nathan Burke (St Kilda) Wayne Campbell (Richmond) Chris Grant (Bulldogs)   
Coach: Denis Pagan (Kangaroos)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2008, 04:34:54 AM »
Tiger veteran Matthew Richardson, 33, was named on the interchange bench in this year’s team, his third All-Australian gong. He was also picked in 1996 and 1999.

‘‘I’m just happy I scraped in,’’ he said last night. Asked whether the move from the forward line upfield might prolong his career, Richardson said: ‘‘The way I felt the last few games, I’m not too sure. But I think you can probably get a bit more out of your body up the ground.’’

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/judd-allaustralian-skipper/2008/09/15/1221330747373.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richo flies to honour on wing (RFC)
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2008, 02:00:46 PM »
Richo flies to honour on wing
richmondfc.com.au
By Matt Burgan
1:00 PM Tue 16 September, 2008

RICHMOND superstar Matthew Richardson has spoken with pride about receiving his third All-Australian honour and his first in almost a decade.

Richardson, who arguably had his finest AFL season in 2008, couldn't hide his delight at being acknowledged as one of the players of the season having been named as an interchange player during Monday night's announcement of the All-Australian team.

"It's been a long time between drinks, as they say, but I'm rapt," Richardson told richmondfc.com.au.

"It's not something I was expecting at the start of the year. I thought my days of vying for these sorts of things were over.

"The club played some good footy this year and my teammates have really helped me be able to play some better footy."

Richardson's ability to gain three All-Australians over 13 seasons – 1996, 1999 and now 2008 – is a testament to his remarkable durability in the game. It was something he reflected on before Monday night's announcement.

"I thought about it today. I thought: 'Gee, it is a long time since I first got selection'," he said.

"It's something I'll look back on and be proud of at the end of my career, but I've still got a bit of footy left in me."

The Richmond Team of the Century member also said to be selected as a midfielder – he shone on the wing and in front of goal this year – was something he never would've believed.

"You would've got pretty good odds at the start of the year, but it's been a good move for myself and for Richmond," Richardson said.

"I'm not sure what role I'll play next year, it might be similar and I've enjoyed it.

"It's freed me up a bit and it was a good move in the end."

Richardson, who has played 276 matches (seventh on Richmond's all-time games record list), said receiving individual awards was flattering, but team success was what drove him.

"Personal, individual things aren't what you play the game for," he said.

"Obviously, I haven't been able to play in many finals and that's a disappointing thing, but this is a good recognition of your season.

"You do have goals and aspirations, and most guys at the start of the year would be pretty happy if they could get All-Australian selection".

Still, the fact Richardson has made the All-Australian side on three occasions, despite the Tigers having limited success throughout his career, only highlights his ability to mix it with the competition's elite.

"You look around at the players that were selected and they're all just absolute champions," he said.

"So to get your name up in a team with those guys, it's something that you'll look back on and be pretty proud of."

As for his plans ahead of a 17th season at the elite level, Richardson said relaxation would be the order of the day.

"I'll just put the feet up and have a holiday and get back into it in a few months and see how we go next year," he said.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsid=67739