Author Topic: Next 6 weeks  (Read 1345 times)

Offline MattR

• Tiger Rookie
Re: Next 6 weeks
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 02:03:30 PM »
Thanks Chuck17 :cheers

We do know that they collect very detailed stats on each player and have benchmarks for performance - I wonder how much 'extra' endeavour there would be if selection and remuneration were at least in part, linked to meeting or exceeding these over time?

Perhaps one of our posters who regularly meet with club staff could enlighten us?

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 02:12:27 PM »
The problem is the 5 year deal crap that Casey served up to Wallace, Brown and Simmonds. All have come back to bite us. Nothing over 3 years should ever be signed.

Brown received a 3 year contract and was recontracted for 2 more on a vastly reduced salary during the recovery from his injury
Simmonds' 5 years has hardly come back to bite us, he was very good last year including selection for Victoria in the All Stars match so he would have always been recontracted for 2009 regardless. His 5 year deal was VERY VERY cheap and was a big win for the club.
Wallace's 5 years is still up for debate, I guess after all is said and done it will be seen as a failure, however given the lack of resources at the club when he was hired and the financial restraints we've had, it's not all his fault.

So a possible 1 out of 3 for you, that's worse than Terry's win/loss ratio at Richmond

5 year deals is business suicide.

Browns technically wasn't a 5 year deal so fine.

5 year deal for a coach is laughable. Wallace would have been under pressure at the end of 07 after 3 years and no finals, he would have been under pressure at the end of last year only to be saved with the wet sail of the teams good finish.

Simmonds hasn't worked out, the cash he was on for the 5 year deal was huge. He's missed chunks of it through injury and played 1 full good season. That's football, he can't help that. From a business point of view the 5 year deal was wrong, we would have given him an extension for far less than what he is earning now.

And to say Brown has taken a pay cut, is hardly a pay cut when it's from 800k to 700k a year.
Go Tigers!

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 02:17:18 PM »
First time poster so please be gentle :)
For mine its not the length of the contract per se, its that they aren't performance based.  Whether that be for coaches, officials or players.  It's seems to be too easy for these key people to 'sit in' these contracts with seemingly little or no accountability for an outcome.  As a supporter, it would be very interesting to know how (if at all) marquee players, coaches and or officials are measured and what consequence clauses (if any) exist?

If you keep adding sensible suggestions to the debate then you will in trouble.  :lol

:banghead

Welcome to the aslylum.

:help

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 06:40:58 PM »
The problem is the 5 year deal crap that Casey served up to Wallace, Brown and Simmonds. All have come back to bite us. Nothing over 3 years should ever be signed.

Brown received a 3 year contract and was recontracted for 2 more on a vastly reduced salary during the recovery from his injury
Simmonds' 5 years has hardly come back to bite us, he was very good last year including selection for Victoria in the All Stars match so he would have always been recontracted for 2009 regardless. His 5 year deal was VERY VERY cheap and was a big win for the club.
Wallace's 5 years is still up for debate, I guess after all is said and done it will be seen as a failure, however given the lack of resources at the club when he was hired and the financial restraints we've had, it's not all his fault.

So a possible 1 out of 3 for you, that's worse than Terry's win/loss ratio at Richmond

5 year deals is business suicide.

Browns technically wasn't a 5 year deal so fine.

5 year deal for a coach is laughable. Wallace would have been under pressure at the end of 07 after 3 years and no finals, he would have been under pressure at the end of last year only to be saved with the wet sail of the teams good finish.

Simmonds hasn't worked out, the cash he was on for the 5 year deal was huge. He's missed chunks of it through injury and played 1 full good season. That's football, he can't help that. From a business point of view the 5 year deal was wrong, we would have given him an extension for far less than what he is earning now.

And to say Brown has taken a pay cut, is hardly a pay cut when it's from 800k to 700k a year.
Simmonds signed for $1.2 million for 5 years, that's $240,000 per year. Do you have any idea how cheap that is for a ruckman? The average AFL wage is around $280k per year, so he's well under that. If we had to resign him again after his first 3 years, he'd be looking at around $500k per season. We effectively got 5 years out of him for 3 years salary. Hell, we were paying Ottens around $650k per year, it saved us a fortune.

Brown resigned for around $300-400k per season, not $700k, he wasn't worth that much after his injury.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 06:49:28 PM »

Flights booked, car hired, tickets booked

You forgot to book the therapy... ;)

booked in for that too once I'm home  :thumbsup ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)