Author Topic: Tight lists make trades tough: Tigers (RFC)  (Read 528 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tight lists make trades tough: Tigers (RFC)
« on: October 10, 2008, 05:02:38 PM »
Tight lists make trades tough: Tigers
By Mic Cullen
 3:16 PM Fri 10 October, 2008

THE TIGERS led the way by fulfilling this year's only pre-Friday trade, but just five more followed – the lowest number in the history of the AFL's exchange period.

On Thursday the Tigers traded pick 42, their third-rounder, to Port Adelaide for inside midfielder Adam Thomson.

The 22-year-old has played just 28 matches in his four years at Alberton, but Richmond's general manager of football Craig Cameron said the deal was a good one for the Tigers.

"He fits into the age group, he's a midfielder, he's inside and hard," Cameron said.

The Tigers were linked to West Coast Eagles ruckman Mark Seaby at the start of the week, but Cameron said that was never a deal that was going to happen with expectations low in regards to major player movements.

"We told everyone on Monday that it wasn't going to happen, and I don't know why we kept getting asked," he said.

"There wasn't much going on – there were only six trades in the end.

"[We didn't expect much], and also there were a lot of guys in contract that were trying to be traded."

Cameron said smaller lists had a major influence on stalling or stopping trades, and that the structure of the week didn't need to be reformed.

"No, I think the problem is that our lists are tight – there were guys there to be traded, but guys didn't want to take them in, and that's just a factor of list numbers and list sizes," he said.

"I think also the money some of those guys are on is important, in terms of whether the clubs can fit them in."

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=68888