Author Topic: 13 survivors under Wallace  (Read 3032 times)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: 13 survivors under Wallace
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 02:32:27 PM »
What was wrong with Gourdis?

I thought he was going to be a ruckman project player that would come into his prime at age 24, so no games this year was par for the course. But after one year he's gone.  Did the recruiting staff stuff up that much with the pre season draft?  Or was there nothing to really choose?

Did anyone see him play at casey?  I assume he played there.

IMO the PSD = nothing to choose

Any decent players that possibly could go to there have already determined their club of choice and a trade has gone through. 

Disclaimer = White

Con65

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 02:53:21 PM »
Tyden...was never going to be a ruckman...they were grooming him to be a KPP backman.

Nothing in the pre-season draft other than Walsh see: http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2007&t=P&s=P

Didnt play at Casey - played for Coburg Reserves...

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 10:31:23 AM »
Tyden...was never going to be a ruckman...they were grooming him to be a KPP backman.

Nothing in the pre-season draft other than Walsh see: http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2007&t=P&s=P

Didnt play at Casey - played for Coburg Reserves...

Your right coburg, my bad.  That pre season draft link (nice link btw) you sent does make you wonder if we did stuff up though, we got 0 games and dropped him.
So what was wrong with him as a KPP?  again we spent a lot of time building guys like Kelvin Moore, so I assumed we would be spending time building Gourdis up too if he was too skinny etc.

One other link said he was depressed, wanted to go home to WA.

Could he play? Did anyone see him?

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 01:16:34 PM »
That was Collard Tdyen who wanted to go back to WA

Gourdis couldn't barely get of Coburg reserves, I can only assume he wasn't up to AFL standard or Coburg 1st's either

Edit I thought it was Collard who was homesick, but maybe it was Gourdis or both? Can anyone clarify, Thanks
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 06:20:37 PM by Chuck17 »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 04:58:38 PM »
Gourdis kicked 7 for Coburg ressies one day and did crack it for a Coburg seniors game late in the year. His kicking was probably his main deficiency (sounds silly for someone who kicked a bag of 7). He was still learning the game and lacked control (didn't have a smooth natural kicking technique) once he had to footpass over 30m IMO. If it's true he also suffers from depression then understandably that would be tough on the kid.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 08:12:12 PM »
One other link said he was depressed, wanted to go home to WA.

Could he play? Did anyone see him?

Just on the other "link" (and tdyen this isn't directed at you or anyone else)

I don't think it is right to speculate on whether Gourdis had a issue with depression... the comment about depression I viewed for the first time on BF on Friday arvo and as such I think it can only be deemed to a be rumour (and a rather cruel one at that if there is no fact to back it up) and as I said it was on BF (would argue nuff said) .....

back to whether he can play.... Yes I reckon he can but I think he was coming from a long way back, my view he is more of an athlete than footballer. But without question he improved greatly as the year went on. Before his delisting I would have said that he needed another year at VFL before he was ready for AFL

Gourdis kicked 7 for Coburg ressies one day and did crack it for a Coburg seniors game late in the year. His kicking was probably his main deficiency (sounds silly for someone who kicked a bag of 7). He was still learning the game and lacked control (didn't have a smooth natural kicking technique) once he had to footpass over 30m IMO. If it's true he also suffers from depression then understandably that would be tough on the kid.

Yes he kicked those 7 down at Casey and then played the following week against Bendigo :thumbsup

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2008, 10:42:45 PM »
back to whether he can play.... Yes I reckon he can but I think he was coming from a long way back, my view he is more of an athlete than footballer. But without question he improved greatly as the year went on. Before his delisting I would have said that he needed another year at VFL before he was ready for AFL
I agree WP. Perhaps a rookie spot is still a chance. With the rookie list now expanded to 6 spots he'd be an ideal rookie candidate if the club still sees him as a project player.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 10:31:31 AM »
I agree WP. Perhaps a rookie spot is still a chance. With the rookie list now expanded to 6 spots he'd be an ideal rookie candidate if the club still sees him as a project player.
Well the question then is does he want to go back to WA?  I'm pretty sure he was from WA if my memory serves me right.  Kicking is notoriously hard to rectify and one thing Terry Wallace is demanding is kicking skill.  There has been a noticeable shift since the Danny Frawley days to a more skillful side if less bulky. 
There is little point in having a project player who cannot kick, poor kicks only get so much better. They never become great kicks.

The damning thing then is why the heck did we pick him if it is a kicking skill problem?  Kicking skill is dead obvious to see.  If that is the issue and its not a homesickness issue then it is a blot on our recruiting department.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 07:24:10 PM »
Well the question then is does he want to go back to WA?  I'm pretty sure he was from WA if my memory serves me right.  Kicking is notoriously hard to rectify and one thing Terry Wallace is demanding is kicking skill.  There has been a noticeable shift since the Danny Frawley days to a more skillful side if less bulky. 
There is little point in having a project player who cannot kick, poor kicks only get so much better. They never become great kicks.

The damning thing then is why the heck did we pick him if it is a kicking skill problem?  Kicking skill is dead obvious to see.  If that is the issue and its not a homesickness issue then it is a blot on our recruiting department.
Yep Gourdis is originally from Subiaco tyden. He was picked up due to his speed for his 193cm size - 2.83s over 20m. He obviously slipped through the National draft due to his footy rawness. I think we took him in the PSD because we wanted Collard as well and didn't believe we could get both with our first two rookie picks 1 & 17. At the end they're both gone within one year unless Gourdis is rookied.