Author Topic: Where do the Tigers need the most improvement next season?  (Read 1743 times)

Hellenic Tiger

Re: Where do the Tigers need the most improvement next season?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 10:30:45 PM »
Agree on the posts all make valid points. :bow
However rather than trying to go through our list with a fine comb to try and find ways in which we will improve, we all agree we have a list that still has alot of growth left in it that in time will leave us in a position of strength or so we hope, butwhat we really need to do is start beating the teams we have struggled against over the last few years.
The Adelaide's 1 win since 1999
The North's 3 wins since 2001
The Sydney's 1 win since 2005
The St Kilda's have not beaten them since 2003.

These are the clubs we are trying to replace in the top 8. If we aspire to be a great club 2 or 3 years from now we have to develop the mindset and identify these clubs and beat them when our opportunity comes knocking. We need to believe in our minds (the players) that we can beat them and that we are better them. We need to as a club ignore all the rumour mills that may be surrounding Terry and his future we need to as a club stay private and keep our thoughts to ourselves we need to as a club nurture this talent correctly and give them the game time to succeed and prosper.

Deficiencies in lists can be identified and rectified to a point much easier than cultural political and social problems that exist at clubs. Unless we fix those it does not matter what deficiencies or not exist in our list. A club like Richmond must first learn to not keep making these same errors as a club and then move forward. Unity will breed success. We can rave on about our list and its potential as well as sensibly think about what players we need to look for and where we need to work harder but unless the board coaches and players are all on the same wavelength and not looking out for the pursuit of their own agenda which has been our "Greatest" deficiency as a club in 28 long, barren and fruitless years then mid table mediocrity is the best we will muster with a token finals appearance scattered here or there every so often to give us false hope.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 08:04:21 PM »
I agree with regarding the culture of the club but to be honest, I believe, we are starting to find that stability and unification that we have sorely lacked in the past. With previous administrations, we would have seen TW sacked years a go but even with the esculating pressure the media (and possibly even some impatient supporters) that has been layed upon the club, the board has remained resolute. This is a very positive sign for the future.

March is holding true to the long term goals of the club and is not swayed by anyone outside of Richmond or even any internal pressure the coach may be creating, to influence the boards direction either way. If we have a good year TW will be reappointed and we will continue to strengthen as a business, as a football department and as a playing group.

I really hope our 2009 season is as successful as we all believe it can be.

Stripes

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 06:11:16 PM »
I believe the biggest improvement we can make throughout the year will be due to stability, consistency and confidence. For the last 4 years we have been introducing youth into the team, testing potential, reorganising structures and positions and incouraging players to fight for a spot in the line-up.

While this is a healthy motivational tool for the coach and players alike it makes it difficult for the playing group to strategise, become instinctual and to establish confidence in their team mates and even their own decisions/actions.

As last year began to draw to a close and hopefully continuing on in 2009, we had a more settled line up. We still had the odd players moved in and out but we left players like Riewoldt, Morton, White, Edwards, McGuane, Moore and Cotchin in the team over long periods. This allowed them to gain in confidence themselves and learn how to work with the other players.

Our defence in particular has now formed an excellent core group who continued to improve, understand their role and learn to relie upon the other defenders in the backline. Similiarly our forwardline is learning similiar lessons but we need Hughes to step back into the team to continue this development.

I am hoping that with continued stability our team start to play for each other more instead of just trying to ensure they keep their spot in the team. When every player is playing to win for the club regardless of individual accolyades then that creates onfield success.

I think our young lineup is almost settled. We just need to slot in a few players such as Rance and I think we will find changes to the team will become less and less week in, week out.

Hopefully this makes the biggest difference to our future success.

Stripes

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 11:39:59 AM »
9th to 8th