Author Topic: Newman right for captaincy, says Frawley (Age)  (Read 900 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Newman right for captaincy, says Frawley (Age)
« on: November 14, 2008, 03:03:56 AM »
Newman right for captaincy, says Frawley
Adrian Lowe and Samantha Lane | November 14, 2008

RICHMOND vice-captain Chris Newman has won the backing of his former coach to lead the Tigers in 2009.

But Matthew Richardson, who never envisaged being an older captain, has been ruled out, despite his iconic status at the club and calls from one club legend for him to take the lead.

Former coach Danny Frawley said yesterday that Newman was his choice.

"He would fit the bill quite nicely," he said. "He's been in the leadership group for a couple of years, he's represented in the international series, he's well respected by his peers, he espouses all the correct criteria for a leader (and) leads by example. He's not only a quality footballer but a quality person."

Newman, fellow vice-captain Nathan Foley and this year's best-and-fairest winner, Brett Deledio, are believed to be the leading contenders to replace the outgoing Kane Johnson.

Coach Terry Wallace has ruled out the romantic notion of Richardson leading the club next year. "I know people would love to see him wear the jumper because he justly deserves all that recognition, but I think he gets all the recognition he deserves from our Tiger faithful anyway," Wallace told SEN Radio. "He's got hero status there and I don't think he needs any more than that."

Richardson said yesterday that while he was a willing candidate for the captaincy the year Johnson won it, now it was a job for a younger man. "It was an option last time it was done, and everyone knew that. But not now. I wouldn't want to take it on now and I think the club needs a young guy going forward," Richardson told The Age.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/newman-for-skipper-frawley/2008/11/13/1226318841021.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Newman right for captaincy, says Frawley (Age)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 03:27:25 AM »
Poor Newy! Talk about the Spud curse  :scream. It's like being endorsed by George W  :help.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 08:59:26 AM »
Poor Newy! Talk about the Spud curse  :scream. It's like being endorsed by George W  :help.

LOL you got that right MT, hopefully his broken leg means he has already had his share of bad luck as this would have to be the mother of all black clouds over Newy.

It is probably time for him to renew the charge in his lucky talism and if he hasn't got one he probably needs one now.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »
The media always run to Spud when they can't get anyone actually from the RFC to talk  :sleep. Spud may remember what Newy was like under him as coach 5 years ago  ::) but he wouldn't have a clue whether Lids, Axel or some other Tiger in 2008 was a better or poorer option than Newy. His opinion is meaningless  :sleep.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 04:15:19 PM »
Frawley should shut the stuff up.

Here is just another example of the ineptitude of the man if he really thinks this is our best option.

Newman is a good ordinary footballer, he has age on his side which really is the only thing going for him. I personally think the club will pick him anyway.

Maybe i'm giving Frawley to much credit for having an original thought, maybe he's just jumping on what everybody else is saying and trying to put himself out there as an authority.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 07:19:36 PM »
Frawley should shut the eff up.

Sums it up perfectly.

I like all of the alleged 3 front runners, but if there is one reason that one of them doesnt get the job Frawley recomending him would be it. 

It really peees me of that the media go to and ask what the worst coach in the history of our club would do.  I mean seriously he wasnt a coaches hole.  Just like his "special comments" when broadcasting one of our games.   Ill search high and low to find another broadcast just so i dont have to listen to his "expert opinion"

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 09:24:45 AM »
I've always said that Newman wouldn't be my choice but now after Frawley's comments I feel that my initial view is spot on

thanks Spudley  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)