Author Topic: Tigers give battlers a real kick along (Herald-Sun)  (Read 835 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers give battlers a real kick along (Herald-Sun)
« on: April 09, 2009, 04:38:03 AM »
I couldn't find this on the web so I typed it out....

Tigers give battlers a real kick along
Herald-Sun | Thurs 09 APR 2009, Page 21

RICHMOND star Matthew Richardson is kicking goals off the field at a revamped centre for the homeless and disadvantaged.

Richo and teammates Joel Bowden, Kane Johnson, Troy Simmonds and Adam Pattison are regular volunteers at St Mary's House of Welcome, Fitzroy, serving meals to clients and just having a chat.

Yesterday, they were on hand as Premier John Brumby launched a $5 million renovation of the premises.

Richardson, 34, can't wait to work in the new state of the art kitchen, which he admitted put his Punt Rd training quarters to shame.

"You just realise how lucky you are in your own life, and it's good to be able to help people out who are in a less fortunate position,'' he said.

The transformation has left clients gobsmacked.

The new features read like a real estate brochure: mural-edged courtyard, pool room, spacious modern kitchen, large multi-purpose areas, computer rooms, training kitchen and a health clinic.

Former client and volunteer Kenny McCracken, 57, and his wife, Pat, 50, think the transformation is amazing.

"(And) they are fantastic,'' Mr McCracken said of the Richmond players.

Run by the Daughters of Charity, St Mary's serves 4000 meals a month to the homeless, disadvantaged and mentally ill. It's expected that number will rise as the economic crisis worsens.

The renovation is paid for but donations are needed for maintenance, which is expected to be high.

Net link: www.smhow.org.au

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers give battlers a real kick along (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 07:59:26 AM »
Good on ya Richo and other boys :clapping I work with homeless youths and i see everyday the stereotypes that we put on them. They need all the help they can get as they are often the forgotten people in society! Totally awesome guys :thumbsup

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 08:55:30 AM »
i wouldn't expect anything different from my man Richo.

hopefully some of you take note of what he does off field and one must wonder how he never got the captaincy gig
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 10:57:10 AM »

hopefully some of you take note of what he does off field and one must wonder how he never got the captaincy gig
Every player in the AFL does this stuff, it's part of their role in the community

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 01:27:07 PM »

Pretty simple - when Richo was young enough to be considered for the captaincy role his on-field demeanor and leadership was terrible.  He has only turned that around in Wallace's era and by the time it became obvious he had matured he was too old.

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 02:03:15 PM »

Every player in the AFL does this stuff, it's part of their role in the community

Some better than others.

Perhaps North should help out at a women's refuge?
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 02:09:18 PM »

Some better than others.

Certainly not downplaying what he's done, just hardly see it as a reason to give someone the captaincy

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 04:58:15 PM »

Some better than others.

Certainly not downplaying what he's done, just hardly see it as a reason to give someone the captaincy
Id still turn for the big fella ;)