Author Topic: Crawf pays out on selfish senior Tigers  (Read 896 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Crawf pays out on selfish senior Tigers
« on: May 16, 2009, 08:39:07 PM »
In tomorrow's Sunday Herald-Sun. Crawf apparently doesn't hold back in laying into ALL the older Tiger players. Selfish, individualistic, playing in self-preservation mode, etc....
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Crawf pays out on selfish senior Tigers
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 08:42:40 PM »
Have to agree with the majority of them. Tackling, sheperding, blocking and committing themselves towards the 1% is not the history of our 'leaders'. Things need to change.

Stripes

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 08:43:18 PM »
In tomorrow's Sunday Herald-Sun. Crawf apparently doesn't hold back in laying into ALL the older Tiger players. Selfish, individualistic, playing in self-preservation mode, etc....

Tell us something we don't know Crawf.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 10:27:29 PM »
Wha? Even Richo?Easy  for Crawf to say after he self preserved himself to a flag!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 10:31:18 PM »
Yep even Richo cops it. From what Jon Ralph just said on the Fifth Quarter it sounds like Crawf is saying retire them all which gives the new coach a clean slate to impose and demand high standards on the remaining young list.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Senior Tigers need to do team thing: Shane Crawford (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 04:40:40 AM »
I couldn't find it on the net so I typed it out...

Senior Tigers need to do team thing
By Shane Crawford
Sunday Herald-Sun 17 MAY 2009, Page S03

AN attitude of self-preservation has brought about the death of many AFL careers, and that's what I fear is happening at the Richmond Football Club.

I saw it with the Tigers last weekend, and unless there is a rapid change in philosophy, you are likely to see it today against Port Adelaide, too.

I know all about it, because I was even guilty of it at a few stages in my career at Hawthorn.

But unless some of the senior players who appear to be gripped with it at the moment eradicate that from their game, then they will gone next year.

It's been well documented that Richmond has more players aged 30 or more than any other team -- six.

That's a damning stat when you consider where the Tigers are on the ladder.

It's a fair bet that regardless of who is coach next year, the bulk of them will be moved on. How many are gone probably depends on who gets the gig.

If a development coach replaces Terry Wallace, the chances are most of them will be pushed into retirement.

But if a more senior coach, such as Mick Malthouse, gets the job, he will know the importance of keeping a few old hands.

Matthew Richardson and Kane Johnson are injured, but the Tigers will go into today's game with four of their over 30s -- Joel Bowden, Nathan Brown, Ben Cousins and Troy Simmonds.

They all have fantastic traits and have had great individual careers.

The thing that strikes me about all six, though, is that I don't really see any of them as completely team-oriented players.

It pains me to say that about Richo, because he has been a superstar and is one of my all-time favourite players.

But when you are fighting to keep your spot, survival mode kicks in, and it can be detrimental to the team balance.

And sometimes the individual brilliance of those ageing Tigers has overshadowed the team aspect, perhaps not always of their own making.

It's a delicate balancing act, particularly for players at the tailend of their careers. When you are getting towards the end, you tend to jealously guard your patch.

Sometimes you think in trying to help your club you need to have 30 possessions or kick four goals.

But in many instances, particularly these days, you don't need that. You need a team focus.

When Hawthorn was in trouble five or so years ago, I was guilty of the same thing.

I thought it was my job to go out there and beat my opponent, win as many kicks as I could and have an impact.

But it's really about combining for the greater good. We weren't doing that at Hawthorn back then.

It wasn't Peter Schwab's fault as coach, it's just that too many players were playing for themselves.

As crazy as it sounds, I remember going to watch my cousin's under-14 basketball team and being envious of how they combined as a unit.

It was a simple plan: simply do everything in your power to back up your mates, forget about yourself and give everything to the team.

We did that at Hawthorn last year and it helped us win a premiership.

As an example, in a game against West Coast last year, we played Campbell Brown in the forward line specifically to keep the pressure on.

Never mind that he only got six touches, he did a super job and was voted best player by his teammates, even though he didn't get a look in with Brownlow votes or media commentators.

Geelong has had that philosophy. St Kilda has adopted it and perhaps is the best in the business with it so far this season.

Ross Lyon made a statement last year when he dropped Nick Dal Santo and Stephen Milne for not adhering to the team-first way. Both were known for wanting to get on the end of the ball to get a kick rather than doing the team stuff.

Now, their whole mindset has changed and they seem to derive more pleasure out of helping the team out rather than seeking their own stamp.

That's a good lesson for Bowden, Brown, Cousins and Simmonds today, and they need to carry that into the rest of the season.

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 08:36:28 AM »
1/ all should go except for cousins and brown as they are class acts

2/ hawks did not win a premieship because they playerd for each other, they ONLY WON BECAUSE GEELONG HAD AN OFF DAY INFROMT OF GOALS!!!!! ARE U HEARING ME CRAWF

3/ crawf is as selfish as they come , so is mitchell , buddy, hodge, williams, and half their fricken team

4/ hawks are not playing as a team this year are they , dont blame injuries, they are already in self preservation mode a yr after they fluked a flag
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 05:43:59 PM by TigerTime »

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 02:23:07 PM »
I'd never consider Cousins a selfish player, he's already doing more team orientated things than the rest of our team which is an indictment on the current list.

I also think its pretty harsh call on some of the senior players, its the entire list, not just the old guys.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 11:26:31 PM »
We lack leadership from all our senior players (not just the 30+ers). Crawf makes some fair points but he has forgotten that when the Hawks were struggling the media were blaming everything he did including being on the footy show for what was wrong with the team and club. There's more issues with our side than having six 30+ year olds.

I'd never consider Cousins a selfish player, he's already doing more team orientated things than the rest of our team which is an indictment on the current list.
Cuz showed that again today.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 11:32:06 PM »
1/ all should go except for cousins and brown as they are class acts

2/ hawks did not win a premieship because they playerd for each other, they ONLY WON BECAUSE GEELONG HAD AN OFF DAY INFROMT OF GOALS!!!!! ARE U HEARING ME CRAWF

3/ crawf is as selfish as they come , so is mitchell , buddy, hodge, williams, and half their fricken team

4/ hawks are not playing as a team this year are they , dont blame injuries, they are already in self preservation mode a yr after they fluked a flag

Plus a few of them are on their last strike so last year was their last shot.

Who says the funny stuff doesn't improve your game :shh

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 01:48:40 AM »

Every time we have a coach about to get chopped, someone writes the same article. Been happening for 30 years.

Different players, same selfish culture

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 09:32:29 AM »
After hearing Jon Ralph on Saturday night I thought it was going to be the greatest whack of 2009

It was the greatest no-event piece of 2009  :banghead

To throw Cousins in the selfish player category is a joke....here's a tip for you Shane actually watch the games rather than just reading Mike's and others dribble

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 09:44:21 AM »
I wouldn't mind Crawf as an assistant coach.

Sure he can be a idiot on the Footy Show, but as a player was one of the hardest workers and is also a bit of an extrovert.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 10:29:04 AM »
I wouldn't mind Crawf as an assistant coach.

Sure he can be a idiot on the Footy Show, but as a player was one of the hardest workers and is also a bit of an extrovert.

yep i agree 100%.

just what we need, a straight shooter

sign him up new coach i say
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.