Author Topic: No Gold Coast home game next year  (Read 1134 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
No Gold Coast home game next year
« on: May 14, 2009, 05:34:29 AM »
Coast games on hold for upgrade
Jake Niall | May 14, 2009

THE reconstruction of the ground earmarked for football on the Gold Coast means that no AFL games will be played at Carrara next year, depriving three Victorian clubs of a guaranteed $400,000.

The AFL has confirmed that, due to the massive upgrade of Gold Coast Stadium, where Carlton, St Kilda and Richmond have had home games scheduled this year, there will be no games played at the ground that will become a state-of-the-art stadium by the time the 17th club enters the competition in 2011.

The AFL's general manager of commercial operations, Gillon McLachlan, said because of the upgrade the league would instead rely on events that focused on the incoming Gold Coast team to maintain a presence.

He said it had yet to be determined where those three games would be played, with the AFL yet to resolve the future of games in Canberra and the Northern Territory, which have hosted premiership matches in recent years.

The loss of the Gold Coast games 12 months before the 17th club joins the competition means the three Melbourne-based clubs will "lose" the opportunity to make $400,000 from a game against a low-drawing opponent — a setback in the difficult financial climate.

But McLachlan said the clubs did not factor the certainty of a game into their calculations.

"There's always a challenge. It was an opportunity there this year. I don't think any of them have built it into their (budgets) long term," he said. "Carlton got a bit of flak for selling the game, but in the end, $400,000 is $400,000."

On what it would do to maintain a presence on the Gold Coast, McLachlan said: "There will be other calendar events on the Gold Coast, focusing on the Gold Coast footy club team," he said.

"The focus … will be on the development of the Gold Coast Football Club. It will be a calendar event to build the team, the list, the club, the brand etc."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/coast-games-on-hold-for-upgrade/2009/05/13/1241894045400.html

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: No Gold Coast home game next year
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 12:02:14 PM »
I understand that public transport and parking is a problem around this ground. IS this being addressed too?

Stripes

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 12:05:17 PM »
I understand that public transport and parking is a problem around this ground. IS this being addressed too?

Stripes

It's being addressed as part of the upgrade but at present it's still as crap as it ever was.  And whether addressing it actually resolves it - well, that's another thing entirely.

Offline gtig

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 12:47:58 PM »
what's happening with the punt road redevelopment?
i notice the grass is looking greener, the blue cut-out men occassionally appearing, some radial lines around the brunton ave goal.... but no redevelopment activity?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 03:58:37 PM »
what's happening with the punt road redevelopment?
i notice the grass is looking greener, the blue cut-out men occassionally appearing, some radial lines around the brunton ave goal.... but no redevelopment activity?
Apparently its still out to tender and demolition won't be starting until June/July at the earliest. The starting date has been pushed date a number of times though so don't hold your breath :-\.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 04:15:39 PM »
Should we play home games at Craigieburn to get a better stadium deal?
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline gtig

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 04:16:17 PM »
thanks mt  :cheers
you'd think there'd be an army of developers clamouring for the work.
maybe we're trying to get some stands overhanging punt road thrown in - might make a nice boutique stadium!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 04:32:08 PM »
wayne we all could toot our car horns when we scored a goal at Craigeburn lol. There's the oval, goalposts and boundary fence and that's about it.

thanks mt  :cheers
you'd think there'd be an army of developers clamouring for the work.
maybe we're trying to get some stands overhanging punt road thrown in - might make a nice boutique stadium!
Tiger Dome does have a nice ring to it. We could have it like the big EPL stadiums or the new Munich stadion with it decked out in yellow and black, club logo every 25m along the fence on every tier, seats in the shape of "R F C" on the wing, and at night the outside could glow and a silouette of a tiger would walk around around it when its gameday. No tackiness will be spared lol.

Offline gtig

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 04:50:27 PM »
Tiger Dome does have a nice ring to it. We could have it like the big EPL stadiums or the new Munich stadion with it decked out in yellow and black, club logo every 25m along the fence on every tier, seats in the shape of "R F C" on the wing, and at night the outside could glow and a silouette of a tiger would walk around around it when its gameday. No tackiness will be spared lol.

i was thinking something along the lines of this

just embed the Royal into the stand.

...but the munich monster is something else... maybe Craigieburn phase 2...

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 04:54:59 PM »
wayne we all could toot our car horns when we scored a goal at Craigeburn lol. There's the oval, goalposts and boundary fence and that's about it.

:lol
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 06:06:11 PM »
Crikey!! Who said there is no money in insurance these days.  :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 11:16:29 PM »
i was thinking something along the lines of this

just embed the Royal into the stand.
:lol

Solves the Punt Rd problem :thumbsup. That's Atletico Madrid's stadium.

The Allianz Arena is the one I was thinking of. Ours can glow Y&B at night  :thumbsup