Author Topic: Media has lost its head: Patrick Smith (Australian)  (Read 987 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Media has lost its head: Patrick Smith (Australian)
« on: May 20, 2009, 04:54:29 AM »
Media has lost its head
Patrick Smith | May 20, 2009  | The Australian

IT all appeared to be going to the formula, wretched and discredited as it was. Richmond had won just one match out of eight attempts so there was nothing for it but to bump the coach.

You don't mess with a rich tradition. See you later, Terry Wallace.

There did not need to be any sense in the decision or benefit from it, only acknowledgement that's how the club reacts to a lack of outrageous success. It is not peculiar to Richmond, but it is a process the club has made its own. The club's last premiership came in 1980 under coach Tony Jewell and since then the Tigers have reached one grand final, an 18-point loss to Carlton two years later.

Jewell went at the end of 1981, Francis Bourke went at the end of 1983, followed by Mike Patterson, Paul Sproule, Jewell (for a second time), Kevin Bartlett, Allan Jeans, John Northey, Robert Walls, Jeff Gieschen and Danny Frawley.

Then yesterday, it was Wallace who got the boot. Well, that's what the internet sites were telling us. The coach was sacked. The television and radio networks leapt upon it so quickly and emphatically that it was not enough that Wallace was gone but some journalists had even factored in his replacement and likely strategy to gain maximum value at the end of season draft.

The advent of the internet as a competitive and immediate provider of news has changed journalism for the worse. It is not enough now to be right - though that would help - but it is imperative to be the first. Checking of facts is considered an inconvenience, an internet brake and not a responsibility. That said, online readers of The Australian would not have been misled, kept up to date instantly and, most importantly, accurately.

What threatened to be lost in too many hours of journalistic shenanigans and self-indulgence was the very importance of the day itself to Richmond, a member of the VFL/AFL for 101 years.

Whatever the result it would be critical as to how the club was perceived by supporters and the public in general. And sponsors, benefactors and the godfather, the AFL commission.

If a group of frustrated players could revolt and have the coach sacked, then the Tigers' shambolic reputation would have become impossible to redeem. But if the administration was seen to stand by its previous declarations that Wallace would remain coach, the club would show a resolve and integrity that many suspected wasn't there when the Wallace rumblings started after the opening-round loss to Carlton.

Pivotal to the club's mature handling of the issue appears to be football general manager Craig Cameron. He controlled the circumstances from beginning to end - from captain Chris Newman's concerns on Monday to the midday news conference yesterday, which confirmed Wallace was coach and that suggestions to the contrary were plainly wrong. Neither did president Gary March waiver.

If March, the board and the football administration had handled the Ben Cousins recruitment awkwardly and the early season pressure on Wallace ineptly, then yesterday the club showed praiseworthy steel as all around it was the media which had lost its head. News bulletins last night said it was a chaotic day at Richmond. In truth, it was a chaos of the media's making.

Once the players present at yesterday's meeting with Wallace, Cameron and March were told that the club would stand by its public position of support for the coach, then a frank and open discussion followed. Given that Wallace was not going to re-sign it would have to be the players who forced the club's hand in sacking the coach. A little think music please.

Clearer lines of communication were one immediate and essential outcome. Whatever the exact grumblings the players had they were addressed positively. Which is just as well for the playing list at Richmond. Sitting with just one win in eight games and having thrown away a win over Port Adelaide through its own incompetence and indulgence, the players were not a stronghold of best practice themselves.

Under such circumstances it is worth players noting that incoming coaches do not have much time for player activists. If they sacked one coach, then they will sack another. New coaches tend to root out who they perceive as the troublemakers and have them moved on. Any deflection the players might have gained by moving on Wallace would have proved short lived. It is not just one career that ends when a coach is sacked.

So what loomed as a disastrous day for the club remained one for the media only. The Richmond administration and its players sorted out this from that and then publicly supported each other and, most importantly, their coach. There is still much for which to play.

Wallace is a proud man and superior coach and it clearly hurts him that - for whatever reasons - he has not been able to push his team into premiership contention. It may have seen him try to manipulate his cheer leaders in the media to soften his exit. His unsavoury departure from the Bulldogs after round 21 of the 2002 season continues to haunt him. He forever seeks to erase it.

Such has been Richmond's reputation that yesterday could have proved bloody and shameful. In fact, it marked the day a more mature, more decisive president reaffirmed his control; a determined, more confident football manager confirmed his influence and expertise. The players have been saved from themselves and, in the process, so has Richmond.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25509185-12270,00.html

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Media has lost its head: Patrick Smith (Australian)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 09:25:37 AM »
Well, that was interesting reading especially the last paragraph.

I will be interested to hear others views on this article.

Personally it is good to see some balance in the media with articles that dont play up to the conspriracy theorists, distressed/raving/excitable fans etc.

Offline gtig

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 09:33:34 AM »
A lot of sensible articles seem to have come out this morning. I'm surprised at supporters who think this episode has made our club look weak or foolish - seems it's only the media who have egg on their face. Good on rfc for being the source of so much emotion and drama, like no other club could be. we really are the sleeping giant.  :sleep

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 09:40:14 AM »
It is an iteresting read looking at it from the media perspective.

Had a chuckle with Patrick's comments about the Australian Web-site didn't mislead and only gave accurate info

Thought this was an interesting statement because I actually said something similar to someone yesterday when my phone went into melt down with all my concerned friends calling me  ;D

It is not just one career that ends when a coach is sacked.

I think this is very true

However despite Patrick's article and it's balanced, I am still disappointed with what's gone on and still embarrassed by the events of yesterday

Because clearly we have leaks down there and they need to be weeded and then turfed out

Until they are things like yesterday will continue to happen and that makes wanna do this  :banghead :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 11:17:54 AM »
It's not beyond the realm of my imagination to suspect that the leak came from the coach.  He's a seasoned media performer, doesn't want to lose his job mid-season and knows how to handle the press.

It would be a high risk tactic to, more or less, challenge the Richmond hierarchy to sack him given that they have said that the review will happen mid-year.

I'm thinking that he knew he had gone too far with whatever was said on Sunday night and that to recover he chose to go on the attack, which may have been managed via the media .......

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 11:41:25 AM »
From what I have heard Bowden one of the strongest leaders at the club within the playing group and also one of the biggest white-anters in the league. When his brother Patrick was moved on, his destablization efforts went into meltdown.

He should go, and go quickly.

Any new coach would look to get rid of destabilizing factors immediately, probably more so that under performing players, so if a few players are moved on next year unexpectedly you know why...

Stripes

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 01:36:43 PM »
And the new coach would know who is a destabilizing factor how? Oh that's right he might have 'heard' it.

Adding to the rumours and scaremongering does no one any favours. Some of the things I heard at the end of last season were downright hilarious but they were from some one close to the Club. ::)
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 03:11:08 PM »
And the new coach would know who is a destabilizing factor how? Oh that's right he might have 'heard' it.

You could probably start with the group that came together and went to the board to start with if that has or does eventuate and then of course others on the list would inform the new coach during initial interviews. Media rumours and supporter inuendo's is one thing, first hand knowledge from within the club is another. Dissenters can be identified pretty quickly.

To quote Tim Watson - 'The fish rots at the head first' - and the senior players are a big part of the problem not the solution. If Bowden is such a strong personality, confident speaker, member of the PA, who has been AA why was he never made captain?

Time to build a successful TEAM who is unified and behind the coach regardless of outside influences.

We need leaders who lead in the correct manner, lead positively through their actions and words. If they are disgruntled move them on.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 10:19:35 PM »
im loathe to believe that innuendo however JB would have every right to bare a grudge being made the ONLY scapegoat in 2008, out of the senior side for a month...therein I beleive is the undercurrent that is unsettling TW and player relationship....this selective singling out with other such as NB being protected species :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 10:54:01 PM »
The fact that Patrick Smith just wrote an article supportive of Richmond for the first time in his journalistic life speaks volumes to me.

Offline jezza

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 08:08:28 AM »
From what I have heard Bowden one of the strongest leaders at the club within the playing group and also one of the biggest white-anters in the league. When his brother Patrick was moved on, his destablization efforts went into meltdown.

He should go, and go quickly.

Any new coach would look to get rid of destabilizing factors immediately, probably more so that under performing players, so if a few players are moved on next year unexpectedly you know why...

Stripes

Read today's articles yet?

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 01:42:54 PM »

Read today's articles yet?

Exactly!

Let's all keep reacting to Chinese whispers and half truths.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 01:54:42 PM »
I read todays article and if it is true, like I said in another topic on Caros's article, I owe Bowden an apology. Perhaps he finally realized that if TW went he would probably follow shortly after.  :shh but regardless I admire his wisdom in this matter.

In regards to finding out who is the destablizing factors in the club, well its obviously not difficult if the players make a public call for their coaches head. Those who work behind the scenes are harder to find warranted but getting rid of these players types is crucial to our future success.

Stripes