Author Topic: Tambling wants Plough to stay / Tigers were in the dark  (Read 616 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tambling wants Plough to stay / Tigers were in the dark
« on: May 20, 2009, 02:56:48 PM »
Tambling wants Plough to stay
richmondfc.com.au
By Jennifer Witham 12:19 PM Wed 20 May, 2009

RICHMOND midfielder Richard Tambling believes the Tigers' focus has not deviated from their upcoming Dreamtime at the 'G clash with Essendon despite the recent chaos surrounding coach Terry Wallace.

Tambling said Wallace had the full support of the players and it was business as usual at Tigerland.

"Our focus is solidly on the weekend," Tambling said. "The boys are as tight as we have been all year.

"We know who our coach is and hopefully he is going to be there for the rest of the year.

"We've copped it a lot this year with Benny [Cousins] coming over and now with Plough [Wallace]; we're just treating every week as it comes. It's the only thing we can control so we're trying to control the controllables."

Tambling, 22, admitted he was met with chaotic scenes when he arrived at Punt Road on Monday morning.

"I turned up at training and the boys were talking about what was said in the paper, so obviously we were all very confused," he said.

"It was all laid to rest before training after we had a meeting. It was all over and done with within half an hour.

"I don't read the paper very much these days but the boys were talking about it and it was very disappointing it was in the paper."

The young speedster affirmed his positive relationship with Wallace, and said the embattled coach had been "very helpful" throughout his five-year career.

"He's put me in positions where I've never played before and kept me in the team when sometimes I didn't deserve to be," he said.

"He tells me to work hard and every time that he's dropped me, he's come and had a chat to me and said, 'You need to do this and this, and you'll get back in the team'.

As the oldest of Richmond's four indigenous players, Tambling said he had initially tried to create a home feeling for the younger boys after they arrived at the club from interstate.

He said Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls had since settled with his family coming to Melbourne, while Shane Edwards "had lots of mates" after arriving from Adelaide in 2006.

When the youngest of the lot, rookie Alroy Gilligan, arrived at Punt Road last year from Perth as an 18-year-old with no nearby family, Tambling stepped in.

"Before the season started, he was staying with Jackie, my mother-in-law, and they enjoy each other's company so it ended up being permanent," Tambling said.

"Having the other boys look up to me and ask me for advice has definitely helped me mature a bit."

Tambling says he always considered himself a mature person, considering he left home at a young age and has two children, Tyson (three and a half years) and Leah (six weeks), by the age of 22.

However, all the maturity in the world couldn't have made the past five years easier for the Territorian, having constantly been the topic of conversation for his deviating form.

"It's very hard. It did affect me for a few years but you can only control certain things and that's what I aim to do; control what I can control," he said.

"The comparison [to Buddy Franklin] doesn't really annoy me anymore. I just laugh at it now because there were 70 other boys in the draft that year and certain people have done better than others, and it just takes longer to develop for some people."

A new role within the side has since given Tambling hope for the future.

"I was thrown around a fair bit last year but as a junior I played as a midfielder," he said.

"What the team needs now is a lead up forward and that's what I'm playing, and I'm pretty comfortable with that.

"With more games played and having a fresh state of mind lets you just go out there and play on instincts, and I think that's what I'm doing more this year."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/77195/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers were in the dark (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 02:57:49 PM »
Tigers were in the dark
Eliza Sewell
May 20, 2009 02:00pm

RICHARD Tambling says the players had no idea what was going on when the leadership group and coach were absent from training yesterday.

Confusion reigned at Richmond amid speculation coach Terry Wallace had been sacked, and Tambling said the players were not spared from the drama.

It was later revealed Wallace had been in emergency meetings with Richmond officials and the leadership group, and would be staying on as coach.

‘‘When training started we were obviously wondering why (they weren’t at Punt Rd)," Tambling said.

‘‘They got us up into a meeting and explained why there weren’t any of the older boys there and why the coach wasn’t there and stuff like that.

‘‘It was pretty understandable, so we went out and just trained how we normally trained."

When questioned further about his reaction to yesterday’s mayhem, at the AFL’s launch of the Dreamtime at the ’G match, the panel chair quickly shut down the talk.

But Tambling had already said it was clear who was in charge at the Tigers and he insisted he was speaking for the playing group when he said he hoped Wallace would remain coach until season’s end.

‘‘We’re sure (who’ll be coaching)," he said. "We know who’s our coach and hopefully he’s going to be there for the rest of the year, on behalf of the boys."

Tambling denied the hysteria had distracted the playing group from its preparation for the clash with Essendon.

"Obviously we’ve copped it a lot this year with Benny (Cousins) coming over and now with Plough, we’re just treating every week as it comes, that’s the only thing we can control, so we try to control the controllables,’’ he said.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,25511639-5016212,00.html

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Tambling wants Plough to stay / Tigers were in the dark
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 03:28:14 PM »
On ya Richie.

Just get on with things Football is hysterical these days. Lets just concentrate on this game, I'm sick of hearing about my football club to be honest. Surely there are more important things to write about.

Go Tigers.
Go Tigers!

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 05:13:54 PM »
On ya Richie.

Just get on with things Football is hysterical these days. Lets just concentrate on this game, I'm sick of hearing about my football club to be honest. Surely there are more important things to write about.

Go Tigers.
Amen to that Pope :thumbsup.....and go Ritchie
Unleash the tornado

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 06:51:55 PM »
poignant  :clappingthat Bling did the interview considering TW has and continues to give him a crack! I hope he volunteered!

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 06:53:07 PM »
It is evident to us all that at times Richie has not lived to his top 4 draft pick status.
It is further evident that Terry has found it extremely strenuous to drop Tambling over 5 seasons of inconsistency and underachievment. After all he will forever be compared to Buddy at 5 wrightly or wrongly. Nevertheless Terry's admittance to having erred in selecting him in hindsight would be vindicated if he had been deservedly dropped numerous times since Round 1 2005. For Terry that would present an admittance of failure something he will never publically admit. To use Tambling as the source of this article is just ludicrous. The footy world knows Tambling has underachieved and a new coach may not have him in his plans and thus it may be the trade week or pre season draft for Tambo. Uncertainty for him in other words. An article of self interest on Richie's behalf if you ask me. :whistle

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 10:56:48 PM »
It is evident to us all that at times Richie has not lived to his top 4 draft pick status.
It is further evident that Terry has found it extremely strenuous to drop Tambling over 5 seasons of inconsistency and underachievment. After all he will forever be compared to Buddy at 5 wrightly or wrongly. Nevertheless Terry's admittance to having erred in selecting him in hindsight would be vindicated if he had been deservedly dropped numerous times since Round 1 2005. For Terry that would present an admittance of failure something he will never publically admit. To use Tambling as the source of this article is just ludicrous. The footy world knows Tambling has underachieved and a new coach may not have him in his plans and thus it may be the trade week or pre season draft for Tambo. Uncertainty for him in other words. An article of self interest on Richie's behalf if you ask me. :whistle

Wow Tuckerbag!  That's one hell of a longbow to draw and one hell of a shoulder chip to carry.