Author Topic: Tigers in total disarray - Grant Thomas  (Read 1432 times)

Offline gtig

• Jack Dyer medallist
Tigers in total disarray - Grant Thomas
« on: May 25, 2009, 10:09:16 PM »
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/Blog.aspx?blogentryid=416550&showcomments=true

Tigers in total disarray
24/05/2009 10:53:00 PM, Grant Thomas

Having been sacked as an AFL coach I understand the pain and trauma that Terry Wallace must be going through. In some ways I was more fortunate given the surprise and unexpected nature against the drawn out public humiliation afforded to Plough. What I don’t understand is the inordinate amount of time they are taking to make the decision – or at least should I say publicise it.

Everyone knows Wallace will not be reappointed next year but the Board will stick to their "mid-year review" for their sake more than the club's or their coaches. Richmond is on the nose and has been for some time. A recent famous movie cited "attitude reflects leadership". The core of the problem is a flakey board which lacks strength and decisiveness. They have no problem in passing the buck and deflecting blame however do not - and will not - take any responsibility. Richmond President Gary March is more interested in how the media and public perceive the "process" than honesty, integrity and transparency.

Perhaps the Richmond Board should throw some caution to the wind, realise they have the sanction and charter to make hard, swift and effective decisions and act. One cant help but feeling they are waiting and nearly willing a groundswell of public support to say "its all over Wallace" to alleviate any potential criticism or responsibility for the decision. I find it quite distasteful how things have eventuated and irrespective of what individuals think about Terry Wallace's future, he deserves better – much better. "Plough" is a good coach and ironically will be a better credentialed and performed coach than the next one, if rumours are correct about appointing a cleanskin.

Whilst "Plough" has been obviously nervous - to a point embarrassed - about the prevailing circumstances and the inevitability of the ending, he has conducted himself with real pride and class in a horrifically difficult situation that has been blatantly played out as a live reality show.

In my mind I would think Richmond will really struggle to secure the services of an "A-grade" established coach because of the way they have deflected responsibility with this important decision. For whatever reason the Tigers have lacked bite when circumstances turn sour.

I don't know what it is but they have a terrible record with hiring and firing coaches – a fact that will not be lost on their next candidate.

Richmond desperately need an experienced, well credentialled, highly motivated driver that can lead them back into the light – again. They can ill-afford to waste important time with an untried or relatively inexperienced coach learning on the job. They need to hit the road running next year and start delivering.

No doubt they will appoint an inexperienced, excitable "puppet" who will do what he is told until he also fails and they once again transfer responsibility for poor performance.

Before they are able to do that and wallow in the pride and self indulgence of a new appointment they must consider their existing coach; but more importantly conduct themselves with the dignity and professionalism of a club that is prepared to do whatever it takes to be successful, not a club that is pathetically attempting to juggle public perception for their own gain.

Someone, somewhere needs to take this dilemma by the scruff of the neck and lead with strength and conviction as clearly the incumbents cannot. "Plough" is clearly gone, perhaps the President should march.

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
Re: Tigers in total disarray - Grant Thomas
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 07:07:12 AM »
Thankyou Grant for your continued amazing insight......... :wallywink

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 09:31:33 AM »
While I disagree with Thomas on the way the board is handling events  (they have remained committed to their processes from day one, it has only been the media that has been the circus here) I do have to agree with him regarding our future coach.

We do need an 'A-grade' experienced coach to set the agenda from day one. We can ill afford to have a young coach who is still learning the trade. We need a coach who is going to bring team unity, accountability and leadership to the club. We need a coach who is going to demand physical and mental toughness.

I think we will struggle to get anyone of worth after this media generated frenzy. The media have done it to us for decades and the amount of negative hype that they have built up around the coaches contract issues will not go unnoticed by prospective coaches. It is the very reason TW demanded a 5 year contract when he took on the job and the very reason why coaches such as Malthouse, Williams and Buckley will not even look at us.

The likely eventuality is that we will be forced to take a coach from 'left-field' and the club will herald to us the supporters that they were looking for a young coach to take our young developing group forward over the next few years.

The worst part is is that we are caught in this cycle until we have consistent success and the media have to avert their negative attention elsewhere. If we do get a young coach I hope we make sure he is there to continue to rebuild and develop the young players. I do not want him aiming for the premiership in his first year. It would be nice but completely unrealistic. We just need to do what Essendon and Melbourne are doing - playing the kids and creating some stability in the team so players are no continuely coming in and out and fighting for to keep there own places in the team rather than for the team.

I think from this point on the players need to be made accountable to the team and each other but also given the time to become a team. A new coach must demand the 1%.

So thankyou media for again handicapping our coach pursuit and for pressuring our players and for making it harder to attract quality trades into the side and for....well you get the picture. Bloddy media  :banghead

Hope we can get a quality coach or expect this circus to start all over again in a few years.  :help

Stripes

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 09:43:35 AM »
grant is a wank and is not handicapping anything

sheedy will coach us, it was earmarked along time agi imo, becaue the board knew wallace would be a failure, he showed in his first 3.5 yrs he was crap

but what amazes me is how last night caro brought up scenarios about when the giesh was sacked, BUT NO ONE TALKED ABOUT HOW J.BROWN WAS BEHIND LETHALS DEMISE  :banghead :banghead :banghead

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 10:07:46 AM »

sheedy will coach us, it was earmarked along time agi imo, becaue the board knew wallace would be a failure, he showed in his first 3.5 yrs he was crap

but what amazes me is how last night caro brought up scenarios about when the giesh was sacked, BUT NO ONE TALKED ABOUT HOW J.BROWN WAS BEHIND LETHALS DEMISE  :banghead :banghead :banghead

That is true. I heard from Aka that J.Brown lied through his teeth on the footy show when he was asked whether he was going to leave unless Lethal left. We are the medias number one target when it comes to anything remotely negative particularly coaches.  >:(

Stripes

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 11:57:18 AM »

That is true. I heard from Aka that J.Brown lied through his teeth on the footy show when he was asked whether he was going to leave unless Lethal left. We are the medias number one target when it comes to anything remotely negative particularly coaches.  >:(

Stripes

I HEARD THE SAME THING BY AN ASSISNTANT COACH AT THE LIONS WHO IS A FRIEND OF MY BROs, lets just say it wasnt just brown but other players in the team also, esp the leadership group.  so its ok for captain brown and his troops to call mutiny but not captain newman and the tigers

media are weak

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 01:27:32 PM »
I HEARD THE SAME THING BY AN ASSISNTANT COACH AT THE LIONS WHO IS A FRIEND OF MY BROs, lets just say it wasnt just brown but other players in the team also, esp the leadership group.  so its ok for captain brown and his troops to call mutiny but not captain newman and the tigers

media are weak

Actually Caro made a comment last night that is along these lines

She said that it's interesting St Kilda's leadership group have a say in the dropping of Gram and they get applauded for it

The Tiger leadership group had input in the dropping of Morton after the Sydney game for not following team rules and are questioned.

She then said the focus is different when you are winning compared to losing

Fair point I thought
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 02:28:23 PM »

media are weak

Actually Caro made a comment last night that is along these lines

She said that it's interesting St Kilda's leadership group have a say in the dropping of Gram and they get applauded for it

The Tiger leadership group had input in the dropping of Morton after the Sydney game for not following team rules and are questioned.

She then said the focus is different when you are winning compared to losing

Fair point I thought

she also failed to mention that harvey and lowe were the main players behind the sacking of stan alves , its amazing how grant bargearse never mentioned this either

saints cant be touched at the moment lol what a joke

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 06:05:43 PM »
Yes Grant its all fine to be hypocritical.

Remember your role in wearing two hats in the transpiring of events leading to Malcolm Blight's demise? What club was that at? St Kilda oh yes. 1 Flag since 1897 and we are now 2009 and 27 wooden spoons. Yes Grant we are a shambles but we are still 10 times the club St Kilda is with 11 years less history in the VFL/AFL.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 03:22:56 AM »
Some how I don't think Grant will be applying for the coaching position at Richmond anytime soon or indeed ever. :rollin
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 04:08:11 AM »
Newsflash, media career of Grant Thomas is in shambles.

Dropped from The Age and SEN, now blogging on ninemsn looking to pump up ratings for a Monday night panel at the ratings bursting time of 10.30pm.

Expouses Quasi management crap - you are a peanut Thomas. No more & no less - yet still a peanut (they still don't grow on trees either Hutchy you ambo chaser)

end of rant ........