Author Topic: Power struggles at Richmond nothing new: Aker (Herald-Sun)  (Read 742 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Power struggles at Richmond nothing new: Aker (Herald-Sun)
« on: June 10, 2009, 02:30:42 AM »
Power struggles at Richmond nothing new
Jason Akermanis | June 09, 2009 11:23pm

WITH eight rounds to go in the 1998 season, the Brisbane Lions sacked coach John Northey. I remember it well as the players were divided on everything, except for the coach.

He was sacked and the club appointed favourite son Roger Merrett as caretaker. And for a while, the group was happy to give him a go.

Our club at the time was leaking like a sieve and some senior players were only too happy to tell scribes what they thought of the coach.

It may well have been that some of the leaks contributed to Northey's demise.

John didn't see the relationship with Roger coming back the way it did.

John didn't notice enough of what was happening around him to see Roger was gunning for more power.

As a player I didn't know what to do.

I'll be honest, and it is easy to be honest now, I couldn't wait to see the end of John.

His constant changing of game plans from quarter to quarter was bad. But his relationship with some players, including myself, was one-way and lacked depth.

John had taken us to third in 1996 and some of the football department said he was fortunate to get us that high.

Sure enough the side fell to eighth in 1997.

That year my mum passed away. The week she died I told the club that I wanted to play our match in Perth, as I knew it would have been what mum would have wanted me to do.

I played, and we lost narrowly. In his post-match address, Northey gave me a spray for which I would never forgive him. He screamed hysterically at me in front of the group. "You wanted to play. You said: 'Play me'."

Clearly, he thought I shouldn't have played and even worse, that I played and played poorly. I did some good things that day to help us nearly get the win, but he didn't see it that way.

I thought then that the playing group wasn't going to tolerate such behaviour.

Removing a coach should never be a decision made by players, but the opinion of players is always sought when things start to get ugly.

I know some players back then took it upon themselves to seek change. I know some rang the press. I know some met a board member, and there was even dialogue between some and the chairman.

I couldn't help but see similarities with what appears to have happened at Richmond.

When a team is losing, it is so easy to shift blame.

At the end of Terry Wallace's time at Punt Rd, Blind Freddy could see that Terry had lost some of his players for good.

Maybe he changed tactics too often, but something had happened.

And while only a small group had the biggest problem with him, it appeared the small group had the influence.

Some might say it is the list that is the problem, but time will tell on that one.

In 1998 we were a laughing stock of the AFL. The next year under Leigh Matthews we reached a preliminary final with mostly the same list.

Maybe a good coach can transform an average team into a good team, and maybe a bad coach can lead a talented team to underperform.

Either way, the Richmond players will know if they are dealing with a coach they can respect and relate to.

They will know right now if the new caretaker coach, Jade Rawlings, can do a good job, for the most important relationship that a player needs to perform is with the coach.

It doesn't matter if he is young, experienced or a caretaker coach, the performance under pressure will show.

When you have nothing to play for except pride, that relationship will determine if they will put their bodies on the line when it gets tough.

Only time will tell if Jade can do that, but first he will need to deal with three disappointed assistant coaches who all want to be a senior AFL coach some time soon.

My view is that Merrett never got to retain the senior job at Brisbane because he didn't appear to have the respect of his assistants or the younger group.

And I heard that one assistant made it known to the chairman Alan Piper that while he was moving on, the one decision that had to be made was not picking Roger.

In footy, relationships and who you know are often as important as ability.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25613252-19742,00.html

bushranger

Re: Power struggles at Richmond nothing new: Aker (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 11:25:13 AM »
Who would give a rats arse what this big mouthed d head has to say about any club.
He has proven not to be a team man as with the Lions split.
He should be never listened to, a complete w@nker.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 12:42:27 PM »
I tought it was a well thought out artilce that made a lot of sense.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 02:23:32 PM »
Yeah good to get a perspective on how it could have gone so bad within our club as it did at the Lions. Liked the part where he said the next year they played in the prelim.... :thumbsup
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 02:28:57 PM »
I tought it was a well thought out artilce that made a lot of sense.

Agree.  It provided a good insight from someone who had lived through a very very similar circumstance.

Tigermonk

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 04:37:03 PM »
great man Akermanis, tells it as it is
got to admire a man like him to be so honest & open

Offline HD

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 04:51:39 PM »
I'm personally not a fan of Aker. He irritates me with just about everything he does but he raises an interesting point with his line about Wallace changing tactics to much as Northey did - or more to the point abandoning winning tactics for a stop and prop style that hasn't won us a game in 5 years (save for one against Adelaide  :lol)

Whether or not that was Terry or the players effecting that change mid-game remains to be seen but Rawlings tenure should give us an indicator. If it was the players, I doubt a new coach will see any change within 1/2 a season but if it was the coach, and we have a caretaker who will be staking his claim for the job in 2010, we should see an almost immediate improvement.

Ah well, you can't hate everything someone says, no matter how much damage the peroxide has done hey Aker.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 05:15:55 PM »
1997 Brisbane 10 1/2 wins.105 %

1998 Brisbane 5 1/2 wins. 75.8 %

1999 Brisbane 16 wins. 144.9 %

You never know your luck in a big city...... :gotigers

Unleash the tornado

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 07:25:47 PM »
1997 Brisbane 10 1/2 wins.105 %

1998 Brisbane 5 1/2 wins. 75.8 %

1999 Brisbane 16 wins. 144.9 %

You never know your luck in a big city...... :gotigers

And not a priority pick to be seen.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 07:34:01 PM »
Yeah good to get a perspective on how it could have gone so bad within our club as it did at the Lions. Liked the part where he said the next year they played in the prelim.... :thumbsup

He didn't write this in the article but he was an integral part in 3 successive flags within 5 years of Lethal's appointment. :clapping

I too thought it was a great article. Smart man is Aker. Plays the buffoon to suck you in by underesimating him.

3 flags
1 Brownlow
300 games.
Legend of the game. Has sucked in plenty of people.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 08:13:53 PM »
Great article.

Amazing how much stuff about the Lions never hit the papers. They run a pretty tight ship up here and the scribes probably don't go looking as much either.

Northey I would have thought the players quite liked. Merrett the same.

The entire Aker vs. Leppa/Mal Michael thing was hidden pretty well until the end.