Author Topic: Buckley is a perfect match for Tigerland: Alastair Lynch (Sunday Mail Qld)  (Read 509 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Nathan Buckley is a perfect match for Tigerland
Alastair Lynch
The Sunday Mail (Qld) | July 19, 2009

IF I was Nathan Buckley and had a choice of the vacant coaching jobs in the AFL, I would pick Richmond every day of the week.

They are the sleeping giants of the competition.

Twenty-nine years without a premiership, they've had only two finals appearances since their 1982 grand final loss.

In that time they have been through 11 coaches.

As much as they have a reputation for eating their own at Tigerland, their potential is massive.

When you talk power clubs in Melbourne you talk Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and Richmond.

This was demonstrated when the recruitment of Ben Cousins this year gave the Tigers hope. Membership went through the roof, and everyone at Tigerland was buzzing. All because they had reasonable expectation of a good season. At least better than the 9th-16th-9th-12th-16th-13th-14th since their preliminary final effort of 2001.

That the bubble burst in Round 1, when the Tigers were smashed by Carlton, doesn't matter. It gives you an insight into what could happen if they were actually successful for a prolonged period. They've got a massive supporter base, a solid financial platform, and a brand that can be as dominant as the Magpies, Blues and Bombers if the team was to challenge over a prolonged period.

It'd be a massive challenge. Look at the past 11 coaches who haven't been able to make it work -- Terry Wallace (2005-09), Danny Frawley (2000-04), Jeff Gieschen (1997-99), Robert Walls (1996-97), John Northey (1993-95), Allan Jeans (1992), Kevin Bartlett (1988-91), Tony Jewell (1986-87), Paul Sproule (1985), Mike Patterson (1984) and Francis Bourke (1982-83).

If Buckley could harness the Richmond potential and get the whole place working in harmony, they'd just about re-name their Punt Road headquarters in his honour.

I think that would appeal to the former Collingwood captain, who would relish the opportunity to tackle one of the biggest jobs in football.

As much as the fairytale script has him succeeding Mick Malthouse as coach at Collingwood, I can't see that happening.

Malthouse has surely done enough to earn another gig with the Pies, and I can't see Buckley wanting to serve an apprenticeship under his former boss when he could be a senior coach in his own right.

If Buckley decides his mission in life is to coach Collingwood, he'll have to be content to bide his time.

If he wants to jump straight into a senior job next year, it's Richmond or North Melbourne.

As much as North would be appealing for some, especially those without the same choice, it wouldn't offer anything like the same financial resources, membership or corporate support, or potential, as Richmond.

As much as they've always shown fantastic Shinboner spirit, the Kangaroos need everything going well just to survive. Even then they need a financial handout from the AFL.

The other thing Buckley has to realise is that if he jumps straight into another job elsewhere, he might never coach Collingwood. He'll get settled wherever he goes and committed to that job, and someone else will succeed Malthouse at Collingwood.

It's all about timing. The timing was perfect for Michael Voss to return "home" to the Lions this year but right now it doesn't look like things will align favorably for Buckley if he wants to join the club where he was a six-times club champion and favourite son.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25800835-10389,00.html