Author Topic: Browny's anxious about next year (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1407 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Browny's anxious about next year (Herald-Sun)
« on: July 17, 2009, 02:40:34 AM »
I couldn't find this on the net yet so I scanned it in.

Tiger anxious about next year
By Matt Windley
Friday 17 JUL 2009, Page 87

RICHMOND veteran Nathan Brown will play a second successive game in the VFL tomorrow, and there is no timeline for his return to the AFL.

Brown, 31, out of contract at the end of the year, missed four games with a groin complaint before returning with Coburg last weekend.

Tigers caretaker coach Jade Rawlings said Brown was ``a little bit anxious'' about his situation.

"We've been in constant conversations with Nathan about where he's at. He's very realistic,'' Rawlings said. "He needs to be able to prove he can recover from one game and then play again, then we'll judge it on his form.''

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Browny's anxious about next year (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 03:22:42 AM »
Like Rawls says, see how he goes from week to week.
Reckon if he can play out the year and show form he may be OK.
Richo Cuz and Browny our over 30 keepers.
Brown is class and we cant delist everyone.
I know it's about looking to a premiership, but I wont be complaing about watching the Tigers in September in the next year or 2 either! While we continue to build of course.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 08:53:36 AM »
Browny is no where near the player he was. We all romanticise about his '05 season but he has never come near that form since. He remains a good finisher but he has lost the pace and lateral movement he once possessed which enabled him to be so exciting on the lead. Now he just sits in the goal square waiting for the easy give or hopes he recieves a free kick. He is now given the No 3rd or 4th best defender who runs off him. Adding to this is his injury woes which don't seem to be going away and the situation doesn't bode well for Browny.

I would suggest he may get a game or two come season end but he will be moved on

Stripes

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 09:00:23 AM »
I think he is anxious about losing the free publicity for his clothing brand.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 09:06:37 AM »
He should be anxious to, it looks as though we are not going to carry anyone regardless of their reputation.

If he doesnt show something in the last half of the season he is gawwwwwwn.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rawlings ponders Brown situation (RFC)
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 11:01:27 AM »
Rawlings ponders Brown situation
richmondfc.com.au
By Ben Broad 6:17 PM Thu 16 July, 2009

RICHMOND caretaker coach Jade Rawlings says he faces a "delicate" situation with Nathan Brown as the veteran battles to force his way back into the senior line-up and also extend his AFL career.

Rawlings said he wouldn’t be the one to make the decision on Brown’s future beyond this season, but acknowledged the talented left-footer had been frustrated by his inability to get out on the field as much as he wanted.

Brown is now playing with VFL affiliate Coburg after overcoming a persistent groin injury and while Rawlings admitted that he would coach the 31-year-old on form, the club’s future was also a factor.

"That’ll be a list management decision more than me and that’s where it’s going to be delicate, to be able to coach Nathan according to how he’s playing for the now and also according to the club’s future," he said.

Rawlings said Brown hadn’t voiced any concerns about his future and that their communication remained as strong as ever.

"We chatted all the way through with his injury up until now when he’s playing and he just wants to know what he needs to do as far as the team ethos [and] his actual role within the Coburg side to give himself a chance to play AFL again this year," Rawlings said.

"I think he’s a little bit anxious about the fact that his body hasn’t been allowing him to do what he wants … but he’s very mature about it and he’s giving himself every opportunity.

"He needs to be able to prove he can pull up and recover and then play again.

"We’ll judge it on his form and how he keeps recovering from his groin injury but you’d expect to see him back fairly soon I would have thought."

This weekend Rawlings is shooting for his second win since taking control at Tigerland.

Richmond tackles North Melbourne at the MCG in Sunday's Eureka Game and Rawlings will front up against a couple of familiar faces.

While brother Brady will be wearing the Kangaroos jumper, he is also more than familiar with his counterpart, Darren Crocker, after spending a season as a player at Arden Street.

"Crock and I are good friends," Rawlings said.

"We had a year together at North in 2006 in which I had a ball but … as far as us myself against Crock, we couldn’t care less about that.

"It’s more about the footy clubs and trying to get four points on Sunday."

Brady, however, might prove to be a different story.

"It’s a unique situation," he said.

"I wasn’t aware until yesterday as to how long it had been since a brother had coached against a playing brother.

"When it comes to game day I’m sure he couldn’t care less about how I’m going in the coaches’ box, but manipulating his positioning on the ground might be a bit of fun.

"It’d be good to reverse his role and have someone run with him and see how he likes it. He’s annoyed enough people over his career."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/80815/default.aspx

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 12:28:23 PM »
At worst for Nayf he will be delisted.
He may even be up for trade due to the status his name once had.
As for staying at the club he's slim chance as you can't cull everyone but if he was in the coaches plans he would be in the 22 not running around for Coburg. I agree its not looking good for him on the footy field but Black Byrd T shirts should exponentially increase next year.

I am sure he will make cameo appearances on the footy show on Thursdays when no other mug is available to come on.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 08:42:21 PM »
Passed over at the selection table after a 31 possession game for the Burgers. Not looking good for Browny.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 10:11:40 PM »
Passed over at the selection table after a 31 possession game for the Burgers. Not looking good for Browny.
To be fair he's been recalled a few times after injury and broken down again repeatedly so its pretty understandable they want him to prove he can stay fit after more than one game of football

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 10:45:29 PM »
To be fair he's been recalled a few times after injury and broken down again repeatedly so its pretty understandable they want him to prove he can stay fit after more than one game of football
That bold bit may go against Browny though. That broken leg stuffed his footy career at his brilliant peak  :( as he's never been able to get on the park for long periods since without suffering another lower body injury beit leg or now groin. We still see glimpses of his footy smarts and skills but he's slowed up now he's over 30.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 08:36:51 PM »
That bold bit may go against Browny though. That broken leg stuffed his footy career at his brilliant peak  :( as he's never been able to get on the park for long periods since without suffering another lower body injury beit leg or now groin. We still see glimpses of his footy smarts and skills but he's slowed up now he's over 30.
I don't mind either way if Browny plays next year BUT I do think we are writing him off prematurely. I know for a fact he has not been playing 100% fit since coming back. You ask any player to play injured and they will look slow and not up to it. I personally would like to see him given every chance of playing next year if he can get his body right. Even since he has come back he still shows glimpsers of his old self, so a fit Brown imo can still add something to our developing list. I hope he can prove all the knockers wrong!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 09:01:26 AM »
I don't mind either way if Browny plays next year BUT I do think we are writing him off prematurely. I know for a fact he has not been playing 100% fit since coming back. You ask any player to play injured and they will look slow and not up to it. I personally would like to see him given every chance of playing next year if he can get his body right. Even since he has come back he still shows glimpsers of his old self, so a fit Brown imo can still add something to our developing list. I hope he can prove all the knockers wrong!

:gobdrop :gobdrop Twice in 72 hours - we agree  :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 12:56:40 PM »
I agree, if we can get him 100% fit then we need to play him for the rest of the remaining season.
That way we may get something half decent for him at the trade table.