Author Topic: McMahon- monkey off the back?  (Read 2637 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Pleasure and pain rides on McMahon’s boot (Age)
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2009, 04:15:28 AM »
Pleasure and pain rides on McMahon’s boot
Michael Gleeson | August 3, 2009

THIS was a game won at the speed of sound. When the clock reached time, the timekeeper observed as he pressed the siren button that the ball was still floating in the air to Jordan McMahon with Richmond trailing by two points.

When the umpire heard the sound, and the game officially ended, the ball was safely in McMahon’s arms. Which hardly made it safe at all.

McMahon had 14 kicks yesterday. Ten were ineffective or clangers. Twice he ran unopposed to goal and missed from 30 metres out, yet upon this foot rested Richmond’s hopes of salvaging the sweet taste of victory from the sourest of Tiger performances.

Upon his boot rode Melbourne’s pleasure and pain. The torturous dilemma confronting Melbourne fans, and officials, throughout the day was the mixed feeling of victory being worse than defeat.

That by winning they confronted the unpleasant reality that they could not win another game this year and keep a valuable extra first-up draft pick … and they have to play equally conflicted Fremantle yet. Richmond players had appeared to set about their business all day seemingly knowing that with victory being unwise for Melbourne, it was assured for them.

They were lazy, sloppy and lacking adventure and commitment. They played selfishly early and poorly throughout. Yet here they were with time gone and victory attainable.

‘‘No, never, never [done that before],’’ said McMahon the unlikely post-siren match winner. Unlikely not only for his kicking but that a player who polarises fans’ opinions should be the man to provide deliverance.

‘‘It’s something obviously you dream of as a kid, you know in the backyard kicking a goal after the siren to win a game but yeah, I guess it came true.

‘‘Yeah [I heard the siren] just after I marked it. I just thought this is an opportunity to kick a goal and make up for my two mistakes earlier on so I tried to put those aside.

‘‘Obviously it was still there, the idea to win the game, but honestly it was put aside to a degree to win the game and make up for those mistakes earlier on. I think Brad Miller was the only bloke to give me advice and it was not that constructive.’’

This kick was more difficult than those taken earlier as it was further out and with the pressure of the moment, but he reasoned it was simpler because he had time to settle and kick unhurried.

It is a measure of the mentality of different players that some wish for the ball and others to be anywhere but near the ball when that sort of pressure kick is required.

‘‘Yes, yes I wanted the ball, to make up for those two goals I missed earlier. It was a set shot so more time to compose yourself and just relax and take it easy,’’ he said.

McMahon figured it was a goal from the contact to his boot, but fretted until it passed the goals. He was mobbed by teammates as though a flag had been won.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/pleasure-pain-rides-on-mcmahons-boot/2009/08/02/1249152508054.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
McMahon says he owed the team (RFC)
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2009, 02:02:36 PM »
McMahon says he owed the team
richmondfc.com.au
By Jennifer Witham 9:05 AM Mon 03 August, 2009

IN ORDER to keep his emotions in check, Richmond midfielder Jordan McMahon pretended his after-the-siren kick to win Sunday's clash with Melbourne was merely an opportunity to atone for earlier misses.

McMahon, 26, marked the ball within range as the siren sounded across the MCG, with his side trailing by two points.

He said he put the fact the Tigers were down out of his mind, and instead focussed on making up for two sprayed kicks in the second term.

"I just thought this was an opportunity to kick a goal and make up for my two mistakes early on," he said.

"I tried to put it aside, but obviously it was still there - the kick was to win the game.

"I put it aside to a degree and just wanted to kick the goal to make up for the two mistakes before that."

The former Bulldog said he relished the immediate feeling his goal generated, despite finding himself beneath a stack of his thrilled teammates.

"The emotion afterwards felt really good. It was very much a relief, and that's when it really sunk in, that I had kicked the goal," he said.

"Then I realised when all the boys came around, and it was a really good feeling, especially for the other guys as well, who worked hard all day, to give reward to them as well.

"The closer it got to goal, the happier I was," he said, of his thoughts as the ball travelled through the air.

He said he wasn't approached by any of his teammates as he composed himself and prepared to take the shot, and was instead offered some suggestions by an unlikely contributor.

"Brad Miller was about the only bloke to give me advice, and that wasn't that very constructive," he said.

"It was more the other way around."

McMahon said he was thriving under the tutelage of caretaker coach Jade Rawlings, who had given him another opportunity to win over the often-critical Richmond fans.

"I haven't taken a huge amount of notice of the criticism [about me]," he said.

"I'm basically doing what Jade is telling me to do now. We've got a pretty good regime going on now about how he's running the club.

"I think we're all sticking to a good plan now. He's running a good ship."

He said he had never had the opportunity to win a game before, and agreed it was a moment to behold.

"It's something you obviously dream of, as a kid in the backyard, kicking a goal after the siren to win a game," he said.

"I guess it came true."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/81892/default.aspx

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: McMahon- monkey off the back?
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2009, 01:19:33 PM »
Monkey off Back?, Not likely with just one goal, unless he consistently lifts his game up about 75% and turns into an AFL footballer he will always be thought of as the guy we gave up for Selwood or I think the other name was Ward

http://www.livenews.com.au/sport/afl/callan-ward-earns-rising-star-nomination/2009/8/4/214987
Western Bulldogs local product Callan Ward has been rewarded for an impressive season with the round 18 nomination for the AFL Rising Star award.

Ward, 19, played his junior footy with Spotswood in the Bulldogs' western suburbs heartland and made his AFL debut last year while completing Year 12 at Williamstown High School.

He was a key figure in the Bulldogs' 31-point victory over Fremantle at Etihad Stadium on Saturday, gathering 22 disposals, five marks and booting two goals.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2009, 01:55:19 AM »
That would be a NO!  :wallywink
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Jackstar is back

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2009, 08:38:13 AM »
Worst player on any AFL list, and gets paid $330,000 a season to do it :banghead :banghead :banghead

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2009, 09:51:53 AM »
That would be a NO!  :wallywink

The monkey may have been off last week, but this guy replaced him at 5:00 yesterday afternoon  :rollin

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2009, 08:05:50 PM »
Staggered this guy is getting a game.
Expect him to make way for Bowdens farewell this week.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2009, 08:24:40 PM »
Waste of a footballer.

There's so much I dislike about the way he goes about things.

I laugh when people call him a good outside player, a go to man and a damaging kick. People only think he's a decent kick because he's physically weak and not all that quick between the ears and they need to justify his position on an AFL list.

I would be happy if we paid 25% of his contract next season for someone to take him off our hands.

Tigermonk

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2009, 06:32:55 AM »
Staggered this guy is getting a game.
Expect him to make way for Bowdens farewell this week.

knowing Richmond they will drop Tambling & keep McMahon & use him as a tanking excuse but no-one will know cause he is that poo.  ;D

be very interested to see who makes way, if its a young player they will look very stupid  ;D