Author Topic: No room for Richo sentiment: Rawlings (RFC)  (Read 809 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
No room for Richo sentiment: Rawlings (RFC)
« on: August 02, 2009, 09:34:04 PM »
No room for Richo sentiment: Rawlings
richmondfc.com.au
By Jennifer Witham Sun 02 August, 2009

RICHMOND coach Jade Rawlings says he won't let emotions get in the way of deciding brother-in-law Matthew Richardson's future beyond this season.

The Tigers caretaker coach said last week he thought the league's oldest player should play into next year despite missing most of this season with a hamstring problem.

Rawlings is married to Richardson's sister Samantha, but said he wouldn't let his personal relationship with the veteran affect his judgement should he be selected for the fulltime job.

"The club is bigger than the individual," he said.

"Yes, it's awkward and yes, people talk about the Christmas dinner or lunch and how that would be, and it would be difficult if you were attached to the decision.

"We've been unsuccessful for way too long to be caught up in emotional family attachments.

"Matthew is an outstanding person, which you'd all agree with, and we're great mates and we'll talk honestly about what's going to be best for both parties.

"The footy club's future is most paramount."

Richardson aborted his VFL return on Saturday after just half a quarter, with hamstring soreness. Rawlings said any decision on the player's future would be made by a team.

"For the short-term, we can have a good discussion about what's happened, both about what's happened over the past 12 weeks, and what happened [on Saturday], and what's the likelihood, or the benefits of playing for the next month," Rawlings said.

"I'd imagine he's getting a scan tomorrow and we'll put everything together and come up with the best decision for Matthew, and for the footy club."

Rawlings would not disclose if his opinion on Richardson's future had changed since Saturday's setback.

"I'm pretty sure I have [formed an opinion], and I'd like to keep that to myself," he said.

"I don't think it's for me to make too many judgements for him next year, but I'm pretty convinced in my mind where he sits.

"I think it's more in his court.

"I haven't had a good enough discussion with where he's at, but all the dealings I've had with him up until now have been positive about playing next year."

He said he had not spoken to Richardson about his future since Saturday's game at Coburg's ABD Stadium.

"We spoke more yesterday about the actual incident, how he felt, how he'd been going for the 12 minutes he was out there, not more long-term.

"I can't give you any more than that."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/81882/default.aspx

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: No room for Richo sentiment: Rawlings (RFC)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 09:43:10 PM »
Don't know if he is doing it deliberately but Rawlings is playing some very smart cards at the moment.  Talking all the talk as if he is already next year's coach.  It's an old business tactic to plant the subliminal impression and there has been a fair bit of it from him over the past couple of weeks.  Interesting times.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 09:57:54 PM »
He has been talking the talk in the last few weeks.
I just want to know how hard nosed he will be when the old coterie group fogeys get in his ear.

Offline rufio_1991

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 10:00:43 PM »
I don't want richo to leave :'(

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 11:01:59 PM »
Richo is a "free" player on the veterans list anyway, it's not like he's taking up a spot on the main list

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 09:06:09 AM »
I don't want richo to leave :'(

I dont either tigerland,  :'( as i said in another thread, i think he has earned the right to decide when to go and i dont think he is the type of man that will hang around just for the sake of it, He will do the right thing and retire when the time is right. I dont think he will make his brother in law sack him

TigerTimeII

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 11:00:25 AM »
richo should announce his retirement,, better players than him have left us and other clubs in the  past, all players eventually have to give it up, only if they all had wayne campbells wisdom

richo should retire, spend a yr in the media then come back as an assistant coach

full stop

Ramps

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 11:22:56 AM »
Only Cousins should probably stay in terms of the over 30s. Hes the only one who has a winners mentality.

Richos hammys seem to be a real problem now.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 12:37:13 PM by Ramps »

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 12:32:55 PM »
I would just hate for Matthew to go on next year and have a similar year (injury wise) to 09.
Unleash the tornado