Author Topic: Rawlings aftermatch media conference  (Read 1329 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rawlings aftermatch media conference
« on: August 02, 2009, 07:19:33 PM »
McMahon gets Rawlings' backing
richmondfc.com.au
By Jennifer Witham | Sun 02 August, 2009

RICHMOND coach Jade Rawlings was confident his much-maligned midfielder Jordan McMahon would convert his after-the-siren shot at goal that won the Tigers Sunday's clash against Melbourne.

Rawlings said he thought the siren was about to sound as the ball floated through the air from Richard Tambling's boot to the arms of McMahon, and that the Tigers were "gone".

"I stood up and I didn't know how to feel," he said of his reaction as McMahon lined up.

"I backed him in because he's a good kick. A few times today he made some bad decisions, but 40m out, right in front, he's pretty reliable in that situation.

"To have the courage to go back and kick that goal was excellent.

"I thought he was close to our best player. Number 32 [Ben Cousins] was pretty handy but I thought McMahon across the course of the whole day was the one that continued to try and threaten the game."

Rawlings praised McMahon for not only having the composure to kick the goal, but also for his response to his lengthy stint in the VFL this year.

"He was well and truly aware where his career sat three weeks ago, and I don't think he was satisfied that it looked like Coburg for the rest of the year," he said.

"He's made some significant changes to how he approaches his footy, and how he actually plays on match day."

Rawlings said he was disappointed with the way his players got carried away with last weekend's five-point win over Essendon.

"It should be euphoric after the game. It should be one of the greatest feelings you've ever had," he said.

"Unfortunately, because we couldn't play the way we've become accustomed to play over the last six weeks … there was a bit of positive press and blokes got some articles and things were going OK.

"That's what happens. It's like the cricketer who makes 100 in his first innings, and goes out thinking the ball is going to be in the same spot at the same timing, and he gets knocked over for a duck.

"I thought we played terrific style [last week], we got commended by you guys for how we played, we got caught up with it in ourselves, and then we rolled out this performance that for most of today was ordinary".

Rawlings said he didn't read into any of Melbourne's second half structural changes, and that he was more concerned about where his side was at.

"They had some good tactical moves going on in the middle where their forwards would start in the centre bounce and duck forward, and we were getting caught in the cross-over," he said.

"I think they were a bit sore towards the end too, so that forced their hand to make some certain moves."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/81874/default.aspx
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 11:18:52 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Rawlings aftermatch media conference / McMahon gets Jade's backing
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 07:39:27 PM »
"I thought he was close to our best player..."

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Fairytale finish masks ugly win by Richmond (Australian)
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 11:20:09 PM »
Fairytale finish masks ugly win by Richmond
AAP | August 02, 2009

EVEN Richmond's fairytale win could not mask Jade Rawlings' disappointment at a dire performance against bottom side Melbourne at the MCG.

Jordan McMahon's goal after the siren, from 45 metres out in front, earned the Tigers a four-point win, 12.14 (86) to 12.10 (82), which was a memorable end to a forgettable game.

McMahon kicked truly after marking a centred pass from teammate Richard Tambling just seconds before the final siren.

The post-siren result - which had no bearing on the top eight - was the second in as many rounds, after Geelong's Jimmy Bartel kicked a behind to sink Hawthorn last weekend.

But where that score capped a great Cats comeback, McMahon's major could not hide caretaker coach Rawlings' sobering realisation the Tigers had almost taken a step backwards from their recent encouraging form.

"It should be euphoric, after the game it should have been one of the greatest wins you've ever had," Rawlings said.

"But unfortunately, because we couldn't play the way that we'd become accustomed to playing in the last six weeks, you don't even scratch the surface with it.

"They (Melbourne) still had a crack, they hit us up pretty well and forced us into errors.

"But the fact there's a bit of positive press and some blokes starting to get some articles (written about them) and things are going along OK ... you don't know how ingrained that sort of comfort is."

Melbourne coach Dean Bailey also endured his share of mixed feelings, as he did not see the deciding kick because he walked out of the coaches box thinking his side had the game won.

"I thought we'd won the game with five or six seconds to go," Bailey said.

"Then it went to fullback and I heard the roar and McMahon's kicked a goal ... it's not often you get beaten with three or four seconds to go."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25871321-2722,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Rawlings aftermatch media conference
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 11:21:24 PM »
from the Herald-Sun.......

Richmond caretaker coach Jade Rawlings said some of Melbourne's tactical moves were good and caught the Tigers off guard, while the Demons' long injury list also meant Richmond did not know entirely what to expect from their opponent.

"We just didn't know how they were going to look, so that was one of the challenges for the maturity of the group," he said.

The AFL is adamant that tanking does not occur.

Full story at:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25871457-19769,00.html

Tigermonk

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 01:29:23 PM »
To say Mcmahon was close to the best player on the day is a insult to Cousins
Jade Rawlings should be dismissed as caretaker for even saying something like that
Please dont give Rawlings the coaching job we will go backwards

Liegh Matthews, Gary Ayres, Paul Hudson, or Leon Cameron please  :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 02:57:30 PM »
To say Mcmahon was close to the best player on the day is a insult to Cousins
Jade Rawlings should be dismissed as caretaker for even saying something like that
Please dont give Rawlings the coaching job we will go backwards

Liegh Matthews, Gary Ayres, Paul Hudson, or Leon Cameron please  :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray

Maybe Jade is just trying to increase this guys currency...a 4th round draft pick is better than the pizza some thought he was only worth.
Unleash the tornado

Tigermonk

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 05:10:03 PM »
l can tell ya no other club would even take a slight look at McMahon. They see enough of how bad he is on the field  ;D his a write off. get rich at Richmond  ;D

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 07:56:23 PM »
The media are interesting creatures

I have just had a listen to the aftermatch press-conference on bigpond

It's disappointing that no one newspaper printed any the comments regarding the 1st qtr/half performance and how certain individuals (no names named) broke team rules .... and how they was addressed

would have been good to see that in print  ;D

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ramps

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 09:18:27 PM »
The media are interesting creatures

I have just had a listen to the aftermatch press-conference on bigpond

It's disappointing that no one newspaper printed any the comments regarding the 1st qtr/half performance and how certain individuals (no names named) broke team rules .... and how they was addressed

would have been good to see that in print  ;D

WP: Are you running the Rawlings campaigning or something these days?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 09:51:44 PM »
WP: Are you running the Rawlings campaigning or something these days?

Not at all Ramps

I just thought it was interesting after reading the papers and then to listen to the press conference, that the things that I reckon should have been on the papers, didn't make the papers. The papers took one angle and missed out on some really interesting comments

It is the same at all the after match press conferences - the papers sometimes seem to concentrate on the boring
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Tigermonk

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 08:00:48 AM »
Thats cause they want to stay away from the tanking issues

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 09:22:49 AM »
Thats cause they want to stay away from the tanking issues

do they, I thought that's all the papers are interested in :-\
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled