Author Topic: PSD Selection Vital This Year IMHO  (Read 1538 times)

Ramps

PSD Selection Vital This Year IMHO
« on: September 01, 2009, 11:43:26 AM »
In the past its been difficult to secure a decent player in the PSD. Considering the appalling state of our list the PSD becomes Vital. We have pick 2 and this year we must use it to find a decent player, preferably a 20 to 22 year old coming out of contract at his club. Melbourne have the first pick however there are ways of ensuring you get a player that is decent, front loading contracts, etc etc. A key position defender would be preferable, and no Im not talking about Harris-Lake as he is to old for what we need.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Re: PSD Selection Vital This Year IMHO
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 12:29:35 PM »
yep a smart strategy would if we are to add say 11 new players to the list...take 8 in ND and leave the remaining 3 open for a squad to train with us for the last 3 spots & rookie...pretty sure this would be the way we go
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 12:20:57 AM »
Given the Gold Coast have the first 5 rookie picks I would gather most clubs will use the PSD this year to pick up a kid who they think GC17 will grab. After seeing Melbourne get special permission to pick up Liam Jurrah at No.1 last year in the PSD (ta for the correction GB  :) ), it's not a bad strategy. There'll be no Cuz this year and it's been years since a top player has been allowed to walk out on a club into the PSD.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 02:12:51 PM »
Bump.

Against the trend of previous trade weeks there looks to be a number of fairly high profile players changing clubs this year. Any chance someone decent and out of contract might slip through trade week to the PSD to our pick 2?  :-\

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 08:02:02 PM »
Bump.

Against the trend of previous trade weeks there looks to be a number of fairly high profile players changing clubs this year. Any chance someone decent and out of contract might slip through trade week to the PSD to our pick 2?  :-\

Actually I would think that it is more likely that there wont be many high profile slipping through to the PSD. Clubs will want something, perhaps going as far as taking anything rather than letting players go for nothing.

Where in the past clubs mat have played "hardball" on trades (eg Port with Stevens) I think we will see deals get done and some players go for picks that will have people scratching heads and saying "though tthey would have got a better pick for him than that"
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 08:21:21 PM »
Another BF rumour so make of it what you will......

Richmond will use their PSD pick. They missed out on the main target in Mark Nicoski who is Sydney bound. They will run the rule over a few players including a good mate of mine in the WAFL who finished in the top 5 of the Sandover (mature aged)

-------

I dont know if its true or not [Greg Bentley to Richmond] but you will be getting a mature aged recruit in the PSD. Of that I can 1000% guarantee you. As I said one of my mates is travelling over doing a 3 week trial with the club before the PSD and a few others will probably be joining him by the sounds of it. Wont drop names but hes a better player than Bentley thats for sure.

-------

Well its not Ross Young...

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=636589

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 11:29:33 PM »
Sandover Medal top 5

1. Ross Young (Perth) 45
2. Jason Salecic (West Perth) 43
3. Luke Blackwell (Claremont) 34
4. Josh Roberts (Swan Districts) 30
5. Brendon Jones (Perth) 29

Salecic's named came up and was ratedly highly by Scott Watters on the radio coverage when Richmond played Freo this year.

Surely we wouldn't go near Greg Bentley or Blackwell. Ex-Carlton duds.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 11:32:49 PM »
Let's hope Melbourne commit to a player so our's becomes the first live pick

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 11:35:44 PM »
Geezus whats going on with the names that keep getting associated with our picks?????????? Who the hell are they?????????
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"