Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 1087806 times)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #2970 on: September 25, 2013, 07:25:19 PM »
Longer  :pray

Dwaino have you seen Longer play? I only ask because i dont get why he is all the rage.

I have seen Adams though as well as Dusty, and to be honest i would be making a play for Adams before Longer any day of the week.
Longer averages 2 kicks and 1 mark a game, what is it I missed, I must have blinked at the wrong time ::)

Oh we already have got big benny G who can do that (well up to 3/4 time anyway until he gets injured)

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #2971 on: September 25, 2013, 09:02:31 PM »
Whats Tiger71 report today  ;D

This isn't verbatim but it goes something like this.

"Before lists need to be finalised by October 31 we'll know."

In other words Big Footy = Big Malakies. ;D

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2972 on: September 25, 2013, 09:05:53 PM »
Not a single mention of Dusty tonight on AFL360 despite Robbo's "curve-ball" comment last night?

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #2973 on: September 25, 2013, 09:15:18 PM »
Not a single mention of Dusty tonight on AFL360 despite Robbo's "curve-ball" comment last night?
My mail is the fox lawyers gagged him,  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2974 on: September 25, 2013, 09:37:43 PM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2975 on: September 25, 2013, 10:03:19 PM »

Did you expect anything? ;D

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2976 on: September 26, 2013, 01:46:26 AM »
If only the donut shop would do likewise.  :shh

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2977 on: September 26, 2013, 12:58:47 PM »
For love or money
by Tom Viney
oneweekatatime.com.au
September 26th, 2013

Mahatma Ghandi once wrote a different spin of the Seven Deadly Sins and his first was, “wealth without work.” Dustin Martin and the Richmond Football Club and “Shoeless” Joe Jackson and the 1919 Chicago White Sox sprung to mind when I recently stumbled across Ghandi’s quote.

In 1919, eight members of the Chicago White Sox conspired to ‘throw’ the World Series versus Cincinnati, a series they were expected to win 5-0. The story goes the players were angry at their owner Charles Comiskey, who didn’t look after them financially while he pocketed large amounts of cash himself. Each player was to be paid the princely sum of five thousand dollars for his part in the fix, double the salary most of them were paid.  They lost the series and so much more that October nearly one hundred years ago. The ’19 Chicago team are still referred to as ‘The Black Sox’.

One of the players indicted and banned for life was the legendary “Shoeless” Joe Jackson. Babe Ruth famously said he modelled his swing on Jackson’s. He still has the third highest career batting average of all time (.356), and the sixth highest single season average (.408). Jackson always maintained his innocence and pop culture movies “Eight Men Out” (1988) and “Field of Dreams” (1989) certainly support this view of the scandal. There has been more than one attempt to remove “Shoeless Joe” from the ineligible list for the Baseball Hall of Fame, such is the love for him and belief in his innocence, but at the time of writing Joe Jackson is still the greatest player not inducted in the Hall of Fame.

Jackson’s raw stats for the 1919 series suggested that even if he took the money from the gamblers, he didn’t act on his promise. During the series Jackson led all players in hits (12) and batting average (.375), and he committed no errors from his usual position at left field. He also hit the only home run in the series. Legend has it that outside the court house after the trial of the players, a young White Sox fan was heard to say with tears streaming, “Say it ain’t so, Joe!”

Thankfully, stories like the “Black Sox” have not rocked Australian sport too often. There has been the odd bet that has landed the perpetrator in hot water for a while, Damien Oliver being the most recent case. But overall, our sports are pretty clean (or perhaps I’m a bit naïve?).

In the last twenty years or so however, there has been an American infiltration into Australian sport that has me worried. It is a monster that may be worse than gambling on sports. It is unpredictable and it is set the rock the world of many more young fans, like the lad outside the courthouse waiting to ask his hero a question in 1920. It is the player manager who is the new breed of gambler. They are perfectly legal, but some consider them immoral.

When Dustin Martin decided to “field other offers” despite not walking out on the club, it caused everyone from tiger legend Matthew Richardson to league boss Andrew Demetriou to talk or tweet. Everyone had an opinion and social media was in a frenzy. I read on a Richmond fan forum that it was akin to saying to your wife, “I’m going out tonight honey to see if I can pick up a hotter lady, but if I can’t I’ll be home at 11!” Dustin himself tweeted for patience and understanding, but they are two things society is short of these days.

The odd thing is, Martin is nowhere near being a free agent (another new term for Aussie sports fans), but coming out of contract is just as powerful in 2013. Player manager Ralph Carr, who was also in charge during Travis Cloke’s drawn out negotiations last year, seems to care only for the number of zeros in the contract and little else. He plays hard ball for his clients. He takes no prisoners and that trait is admirable and one to be respected until he plays hard ball with the brightest young star at your club, too bad if you’re a young tiger fan with number four on your jumper and tears streaming.

‘An extra fifty thousand here, a lucrative endorsement there, and whatever you do, don’t sign too early kids. Loyalty is dead anyway!’

The interesting thing is, in 1919, Major League Baseball had a reserve clause which meant if a player refused the contract his club offered, he was not permitted to sign for another team, effectively ruling him out of the game. A system Ralph Carr would struggle to operate in I’m sure.

There is another rather sad similarity between Dustin Martin and “Shoeless” Joe.  Jackson was illiterate and some say he was “tricked or bullied” into signing the papers to fix the World Series. I’m not saying Martin is in anyway illiterate but the constant suggestion that he needs “looking after” off-field rings alarm bells. Some clubs have baulked at recruiting him apparently because of the extra resources required to keep him on track. I don’t know Dustin personally and have no knowledge of his movements after the final siren of games and I wonder if he is an easy target because of the way he looks and where he comes from (Dustin left high school in Year 9 to work with his father). I just hope his decision, whatever he chooses, is his own and not Carr’s.

I wondered what had happened to the Chicago Black Sox after the trial and Commissioner Landis’ decision to ban them from playing Major League Baseball for life despite the players being acquitted by the grand jury. The team would not win the American League championship for forty years, spawning the “Curse of the Black Sox”.  Comiskey died in 1931 with the reputation of being a frugal owner who failed to earn the respect of his players. Joe Jackson would never play organised baseball again, although in “Field of Dreams” he is said to have turned up in a much lower level league under an assumed name, because he loved to play and couldn’t keep away from the game.  The image of him swinging the bat with a smile on his face is a haunting image.

I haven’t seen Dustin Martin smile with that same level of satisfaction and confidence since he came into the league. Perhaps his mate, Dan Connors got it right when he tweeted “…let the kid live…” Would a young star like Dustin Martin be able to derive pleasure from the game if he played every Saturday at 2pm at a suburban ground? Does he love the game or is he thinking only of the dollars on offer?

Dustin has done four years of work and now wants the wealth but is he worth the extras? Only time will tell. It might be worth heading down to a suburban ground like, hmm, I don’t know, maybe Aberfeldie in ten years time and asking one or two of the players why they play the game.

http://www.oneweekatatime.com.au/for-love-or-money/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2978 on: September 26, 2013, 01:00:41 PM »
Richmond captain Trent Cotchin says Tigers have no hard feelings towards Dustin Martin

Matt Windley
    Herald Sun
    September 26, 2013

RICHMOND captain Trent Cotchin says Dustin Martin will not be shunned by his teammates should he remain a Tiger.

Cotchin said he had kept in regular contact with Martin since the Tigers were bundled out of the finals by Carlton.

Martin’s decision to entertain offers from rival clubs has attracted criticism from the footy public, but Cotchin said that will not affect his relationships or the way he is viewed at the club.

New Brisbane coach Justin Leppitsch, who worked with Martin for four years at Richmond, has not ruled out trying to lure the midefielder north.

But asked if he thought Martin would remain a Tiger, Cotchin said: "I would hope so".

"He’s definitely a very important part of our future and he’s a very talented player," Cotchin told the Herald Sun.

"I obviously saw him on Brownlow night, I speak to him probably every second day.

"As it’s been mentioned a number of times, it’s probably one of those things where it’s up to the player, his management and the club to work through. Until that happens that’s about as much as I know about it."

Cotchin has provided constant support for Martin since the Bendigo Pioneers youth arrived at the club in late 2009.

He said he had been in a bind throughout the contract saga.

"I’m captain of a very proud football club, but I’m also a close friend of his and have been there to support him," Cotchin said.

"Sometimes it puts you in a tough position, but nothing will ever change for me, I’m always going to be there for him."

Cotchin said Martin would be embraced by his teammates if he does decide to stay.

"We started out at the start of the year saying that we needed everyone to be on the same page," he said.

"If Dusty’s a part of our footy club then he is one of us 100 per cent and we’ll be looking forward to pre-season training and also taking on 2014 and beyond together.’’

Leppitsch, formally introduced as Lions coach in Melbourne on Tuesday, was coy when asked about Martin.

Greater Western Sydney and Melbourne have declared they are out of the race after expressing some early interest.

"Obviously I know Dusty well,’’ Leppitsch said.

"I do have my views but I won’t discuss them here today, this isn’t really the forum to start talking about individuals and where we see them when my feet haven’t really got under the desk yet."

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-captain-trent-cotchin-says-tigers-have-no-hard-feelings-towards-dustin-martin/story-fniv6drm-1226727356867

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2979 on: September 26, 2013, 06:07:03 PM »
Brett Anderson from Inside Football on twitter:

DavidM ‏- "Is Martin still likely to stay?"

‏@BrettAndersonIF - "Martin will stay, no one else will touch him."

Gigantor

« Reply #2980 on: September 26, 2013, 06:19:03 PM »
This is one of the strangest episodes  I have witnessed.We have a footballer who is on the verge of becoming elite,who has skills that can turn a game on its head.
Yet it appears that almost no club will go near him.In times past badboys like Fev,Cuzz,even our own Aaron Edwards have drawn interest.I mean is this kid an assassin,a terrorist.did he shoot kennedy..whats prompting this avoidance plus?

gerkin greg

« Reply #2981 on: September 26, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
Urotsukidoji

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #2982 on: September 26, 2013, 06:30:39 PM »
I reckon they are making a stand against this Carr twit, they want rid of him and his like, he is completely unreasonable.  Every club is thinking the same thing can happen to us if this idiot gets his mitts on one of our young stars, causing havoc in opposition lists by shaking players free and / or causing pressure on salary margins for other players, the dude stinks to high heaven and given that he was a former board member for Carltank. So far he has targeted Collingwood and Richmond, Carlton arch enemies.  Stinks to me.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2983 on: September 26, 2013, 06:36:20 PM »
I reckon its crap and clubs are interested. Just not speaking up yet.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #2984 on: September 26, 2013, 07:04:29 PM »
I reckon its crap and clubs are interested. Just not speaking up yet.

i dunno so much, I get the feeling he s proving about as popular as a Julia gillard gig at the comic lounge right now, stay tuned :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled