Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 1084266 times)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #315 on: May 26, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
should not be offered more than 400k to stay with us and he should be prepared to sign a 5 year deal to get it, if Dustin doesnt like the offer he should go to GWS- our club shouldnt allow itself to be held to ransom by other clubs, every year a new batch comes through, every kid wants to play AFL, RFC should hold firm and not stuff up the clubs finances for an 8 game player.

I think 450k-500k on a 3 years deal is fair and reasonable. If Mcguane that spud can get 450k a year then why cant Martin demand that after all he has shown in 8 games what he is capable of.

3 year deal will set him up nicely and also allow him to negotiate a cracking deal in about 3 years time if this form continues.

It should be about what the player is worth and  Martin is worth a lot more than your average new recruit.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #316 on: May 26, 2010, 11:09:42 AM »
Well I am afraid to say that if he does not re-sign I will officially give up following football and the RFC. I will concentrate on my childrens sport, motorbike riding, Golf, my photography, V8's, MotoGP, World Superbikes and a number of other interests that I put off yearly to watch and support my club. At least I will have plenty of time up my sleeve during the football season to fulfil my hobbies.

If Martin leaves it will finally prove that money is all this game has become and that we will never make it because all we will be doing year after year is trying to rebuild a team that will never exist as we will continue to lose players to the wealthier clubs.

Lets hope he stays!!

just spoke to my bro on the phone and we r the same, if this happen, goodbye AFL goodbye RFC

i thought it was against the rules to speak to contracted players... why dosnt martin go straigh to the aflpa and ,media and dob on the GC and gws. no point in going to the afl , as that cypriot poo pusher will hide it and protect the 2 new teams, but if he comes out and says publicly that these teams are breaking the rules and trying to negotiate with him just them maybe all these bastards will back off

as for sheedy and bartlett, march should come out and say the rfc has taken away their legend statuts at the club and they are no longer welcome

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #317 on: May 26, 2010, 12:50:15 PM »
Well I am afraid to say that if he does not re-sign I will officially give up following football and the RFC. I will concentrate on my childrens sport, motorbike riding, Golf, my photography, V8's, MotoGP, World Superbikes and a number of other interests that I put off yearly to watch and support my club. At least I will have plenty of time up my sleeve during the football season to fulfil my hobbies.

If Martin leaves it will finally prove that money is all this game has become and that we will never make it because all we will be doing year after year is trying to rebuild a team that will never exist as we will continue to lose players to the wealthier clubs.

Lets hope he stays!!

just spoke to my bro on the phone and we r the same, if this happen, goodbye AFL goodbye RFC

i thought it was against the rules to speak to contracted players... why dosnt martin go straigh to the aflpa and ,media and dob on the GC and gws. no point in going to the afl , as that cypriot poo pusher will hide it and protect the 2 new teams, but if he comes out and says publicly that these teams are breaking the rules and trying to negotiate with him just them maybe all these bastards will back off

as for sheedy and bartlett, march should come out and say the rfc has taken away their legend statuts at the club and they are no longer welcome

Totally agree X, imagine if they were trying to poach a young gun from the Blues or the Pies, geezus the army, airforce and navy would have been called in by now. But no it's Richmond again so lets pillage and ruin the club, someone has to stand up here and say something, I mean c'mon, even Bomber Thompson is starting to get stuck into Ablett at every opportunity.

Stand the hell up RFC, say and do something, re-sign him or just carry on as the weak club that we are known as. >:(
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #318 on: May 26, 2010, 01:29:10 PM »

.....I mean c'mon, even Bomber Thompson is starting to get stuck into Ablett at every opportunity.

Not if his interview on Monday's On The Couch was anything to go by.  He said he was basically sick of talking about it because he had been misquoted and taken out of context so many times by so many journalists that he had had enough - and then he refused to answer Sheehan's direct questions about it.  He said that he would love to keep Ablett but if stories of the reputed offer are true then Ablett has a duty to himself and his future to make a call when the time is right, not a moment before.  And he said that himself or the club was not going to pressure him to make any decision in any timeframe.  He couldn't have been more blunt or assertive with his answers and I don't know about you, but one things that strikes me about Thompson is that he comes across as more honest and open than most.  He was pretty peed to be getting asked again.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #319 on: May 26, 2010, 01:46:44 PM »
Let's all take a deep breath  ;D

1. Martin is contracted until the end of 2011. So he isn't about to fly the coop in the next 10 minutes

2. GWS haven't done anything "official" and haven't talked to the kid directly. Silly Ricky Nixon knows the rules so he isn't about to do anything that will risk himelf being stipped of his accreditation as an AFL agent.

3. All Clubs talk to player managers all the time about who is and isn't coming out of contract. And I do mean ALL clubs

4. Give the kid some some credit. This is the media spruiking to sell papers. Let things take it course and trust the kid to do the right thing. I don't think he needs this sort of pressure 8 games into a career

5. The club is on top of this and I am very confident indeed (like I was with Cotchin & Deledio) that young Dusty will be a tiger for a long time

:thumbsup

:gotigers
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 07:48:29 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #320 on: May 26, 2010, 03:13:44 PM »

.....I mean c'mon, even Bomber Thompson is starting to get stuck into Ablett at every opportunity.

Not if his interview on Monday's On The Couch was anything to go by.  He said he was basically sick of talking about it because he had been misquoted and taken out of context so many times by so many journalists that he had had enough - and then he refused to answer Sheehan's direct questions about it.  He said that he would love to keep Ablett but if stories of the reputed offer are true then Ablett has a duty to himself and his future to make a call when the time is right, not a moment before.  And he said that himself or the club was not going to pressure him to make any decision in any timeframe.  He couldn't have been more blunt or assertive with his answers and I don't know about you, but one things that strikes me about Thompson is that he comes across as more honest and open than most.  He was pretty peed to be getting asked again.

Yeah but did you hear the interview that they replayed on Footy Clasified Monday night that he had on the weekend?? He is honest though, I do agree.

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #321 on: May 26, 2010, 03:19:07 PM »

Yeah but did you hear the interview that they replayed on Footy Clasified Monday night that he had on the weekend?? He is honest though, I do agree.

No, what did he say?

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #322 on: May 26, 2010, 03:21:58 PM »
Let's all take a deep breath  ;D

1. Martin is contracted until the end of 2011. So he isn't about to fly the coop in the next 10 minutes

2. GWS have done anything "official" and haven't talked to the kid directly. Silly Ricky Nixon knows the rules so he isn't about to anything that risk himelf being stipped of his accreditation as an AFL agent.

3. All Clubs talk to player managers all the time about who is and isn't coming out of contract. And I do mean ALL clubs

4. Give the kid some some credit. This is the media spruiking to sell papers. Let things take it course and trust the kid to do the right thing. I don't think he needs this sort of pressure 8 games into a career

5. The club is on top of this and I am very confident indeed (like I was with Cotchin & Deledio) that young Dusty will be a tiger for a long time

:thumbsup

:gotigers

I think a few of us are more frustrated with the way Sheedy and co are going about it and the fact that the AFL has sat back and said bad luck if you want to keep him you had better fight for him.

"Rucks:

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #323 on: May 26, 2010, 03:33:44 PM »

No, what did he say?

When asked about if Ablett would leave the club he said straight out, why would he, he is at a successful club why would he leave, I know I wouldn't do that.

"Rucks:

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #324 on: May 26, 2010, 03:45:41 PM »

When asked about if Ablett would leave the club he said straight out, why would he, he is at a successful club why would he leave, I know I wouldn't do that.

Ta WAT.  Have to say, without seeing the interview and manner in which he said it, the answer itself says "fed up" to me.  Rather than having a go or pressuring Ablett, more a smart-ass answer to the journo.  Just my take on it.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #325 on: May 26, 2010, 03:50:10 PM »

Ta WAT.  Have to say, without seeing the interview and manner in which he said it, the answer itself says "fed up" to me.  Rather than having a go or pressuring Ablett, more a smart-ass answer to the journo.  Just my take on it.

Yeah you are dead right, he wasn't actually interviewed on Footy Clasified, they re-played a radio interview from that day. But yeah I agree he and I would say that 90% of the football community have had enough of the Ablett saga, I know i have.

Thats why IMO we have to act sooner rather than later on Martin, we can't afford to let the Martin signing drag out as long as the Ablett one. Lets hope his signing is announced directly after the bye..

"Rucks:

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #326 on: May 26, 2010, 03:56:01 PM »

Thats why IMO we have to act sooner rather than later on Martin, we can't afford to let the Martin signing drag out as long as the Ablett one. Lets hope his signing is announced directly after the bye..

Very true, and would be very happy with that announcement.  :thumbsup

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #327 on: May 26, 2010, 04:39:47 PM »
should not be offered more than 400k to stay with us and he should be prepared to sign a 5 year deal to get it, if Dustin doesnt like the offer he should go to GWS- our club shouldnt allow itself to be held to ransom by other clubs, every year a new batch comes through, every kid wants to play AFL, RFC should hold firm and not stuff up the clubs finances for an 8 game player.

Ramps, if that is the case, Martin is heading north!

$800,000 v $500,000 - which one would you choose?

this player is a 250+ matches in our midfield!

we need to keep him!

do what ever it takes.

Ramps

« Reply #328 on: May 26, 2010, 04:57:07 PM »

we need to keep him!

Its about how you run your business- if Martin is worth 500k then what is Deledio worth- $700k? or Cotchin- $700k : the salary cap gets blown to smitherines and we will never have success because we wont be able to get enough good players into our club.

do what ever it takes.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #329 on: May 26, 2010, 07:18:25 PM »

we need to keep him!

do what ever it takes.
Not that simple, they wouldn't be able to keep him on that amount of money for the rest of his career, especially given the amount of high draft picks they will have. Once their 2 year contract are up they will be up for big renegotiations.
Also haven stayed with us for only 2 years, remaining with the club will make it quicker to get access to veterans bonuses where only half of their salary counts towards the TPP and as such can be paid more.