Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 1087589 times)

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #3150 on: September 29, 2013, 05:39:19 PM »
its pretty simple daniel youre correct no one wants him and it seems to me he doesnt want us so he has a problem. personally if they gave him the arse I wouldnt be much bothered. plenty of players have come and gone and the RFC is still here. he will just be replaced by a kid who wants an opportunity to be a Richmond player.

I haven't seen Dusty or - to be fair - his manager claim that he doesn't want to be at the Tigers.
He just wants a lot of money, which he isn't getting!

I wouldn't humiliate him by cutting his contract back severely, sends a poor message to the rest of the playing group.

Just pay him what you said he was worth the whole way, include the behavioural and performance incentives you wanted the entire time of the negotiation and hold the line.

If he plays to potential, he's worth every cent of the $500k, if not then it will be worth the sliding scale down.

The club doesn't just win this negotiation but also sends a clear message to the entire playing list and player managers that we know our pooh.

Much respect to the club, showed balls and done it very well IMO.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #3151 on: September 29, 2013, 05:47:05 PM »
its pretty simple daniel youre correct no one wants him and it seems to me he doesnt want us so he has a problem. personally if they gave him the arse I wouldnt be much bothered. plenty of players have come and gone and the RFC is still here. he will just be replaced by a kid who wants an opportunity to be a Richmond player.

I haven't seen Dusty or - to be fair - his manager claim that he doesn't want to be at the Tigers.
He just wants a lot of money, which he isn't getting!

I wouldn't humiliate him by cutting his contract back severely, sends a poor message to the rest of the playing group.

Just pay him what you said he was worth the whole way, include the behavioural and performance incentives you wanted the entire time of the negotiation and hold the line.

If he plays to potential, he's worth every cent of the $500k, if not then it will be worth the sliding scale down.

The club doesn't just win this negotiation but also sends a clear message to the entire playing list and player managers that we know our pooh.

Much respect to the club, showed balls and done it very well IMO.

Agree completely. Give him 500, that sits fine with me, especially if his season to season form continues along the same trend. Barrett has genuinely lost it, claiming we're offering 380.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3152 on: September 29, 2013, 06:01:58 PM »

No l don't know what is in his contract or what anyone wants to put in his contract. Just know he does not like the club controlling his life from what l have heard. None of them like to be controlled outside of work. Heard it so many times from current players & retired players & not just at RFC but other clubs. Everyone knows he wants more money or their would be no issue so l don't know what your getting at contradicting myself. It common that any players management to get more than what the players are worth so the manager gets a bigger cut. Why don't you ask him yourself at the B&F what his problem is. We will all know next week.

Fair enough

And I will be having a chat to the young man tomorrow  ;D and his old man too  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3153 on: September 29, 2013, 06:04:23 PM »
Barrett is out of control.  :rollin

Gigantor

« Reply #3154 on: September 29, 2013, 06:04:52 PM »
WP............when you do chat with dusty and dad choose your words wisely ,we want you back here with a full report ;D

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3155 on: September 29, 2013, 06:08:43 PM »
Well you have a good night at the B&F & lets hope the young fella don't go to that scum team Carlton.  :thumbsup

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3156 on: September 29, 2013, 06:18:18 PM »

WP............when you do chat with dusty and dad choose your words wisely ,we want you back here with a full report ;D

:rollin

Met his dad earlier this year all will be good  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3157 on: September 29, 2013, 06:32:04 PM »
From Barrett's sliding doors article ...

IF .......... Dusty actually ever gets his entire life in order ...

THEN ...... he could win a Brownlow.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-28/sliding-doors-round-17

Gigantor

« Reply #3158 on: September 29, 2013, 06:35:15 PM »
WP..if you get a chance tomorrow evening see if you can settle the presidential row...
if they don't settle it nicely threaten them with an evening of reading all of claws posts

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3159 on: September 29, 2013, 07:59:15 PM »
WP - let me correct myself. What I am trying to say is that I believe Dusty feel's bitter towards the club at present. I worry that his attitude is too egocentric and he doesn't value the club has done for him as much as he should. I get the impression that he feels the club is being too protective, too interfering and over-reacting to his lifestyle. I worry about his maturity and wisdom. I don't think this 'lesson' in humility that the club has tried to hand out has been heeded. I think he will return to the club but I wonder if it is really the best thing for Richmond if he is just a ticking time bomb that will never realize his potential because of his attitude and lifestyle. 

My loyalty is to Richmond first and Dusty second. If Dusty can start to grow up and realize the opportunity that the club is supporting him to grasp then I will become his number one fan but I have seen too many teams/cultures ripped to shredded on the back of individuals.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #3160 on: September 29, 2013, 08:18:48 PM »
I think by tomorrow night this issue will be settled one way or another and we'll know whether he's at the B&F or the Rhianna concert.

Offline Golfprotiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Risking Head and Shin
« Reply #3161 on: September 29, 2013, 08:51:30 PM »
From Barrett's sliding doors article ...

IF .......... Dusty actually ever gets his entire life in order ...

THEN ...... he could win a Brownlow.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-28/sliding-doors-round-17

Wayne Ker!!!!!!
Tommy Hafey - "There's nothing more tiger-ish than a bloody tiger, a wounded tiger''

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3162 on: September 29, 2013, 09:46:14 PM »
I think by tomorrow night this issue will be settled one way or another and we'll know whether he's at the B&F or the Rhianna concert.

If nothing else it will tell us his mindset. I think he'll be at the B&F.....................begrudgingly  :-\

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3163 on: September 29, 2013, 09:48:58 PM »
DUSTIN Martin appears almost certain to remain at Richmond, after his last remaining suitor, the Brisbane Lions, officially withdrew their interest on Sunday.

A Lions statement on Sunday morning said the club had contacted Martin's manager Ralph Carr late last week to tell him it was not interested in trading for the midfielder.

"After evaluating our list and discussions with our general manager  of football operations, Dean Warren, and senior coach, Justin Leppitsch, we have decided not to pursue Dustin in the upcoming trade period," Lions national talent manager Rob Kerr said in the statement.

"We wish Dustin all the best in his career but at this point in time our key focus is on retaining the club's young talent, and we're working hard to try and achieve this."

The Lions follow Melbourne and Greater Western Sydney in declaring they will not pursue the talented 22-year-old, whose off-field behavior is seen as an issue.

In mid-September, Richmond sensationally announced that Martin would be pursuing offers from other clubs, after failing to reach agreement on a new contract despite months of negotiations.

But, with no other club declaring interest, the former No.3 draft pick's only option may be to re-sign at Punt Road, possibly on a lesser deal than that originally offered.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-29/lions-dont-want-dusty

You have to wonder how bad his off field indiscretions really are.  Leppitsch knows Dusty and would have been in the know on his past indiscretions and what Richmond did to clean them up and hide them.  If Leppitsch really wanted him he could have traded something from Brisbane, a Longer or a Karnetzsis and maybe a draft pick or two and I don't think there would be any hard feelings with Hardwick or the Richmond FC, if the trade was fair.

It would have been particularly easy as Brisbane have 3 or 4 players who want out anyway.

People have mentioned late nights, girls and "alleged" drugs, who knows what the truth is.

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3164 on: September 29, 2013, 10:20:10 PM »
DUSTIN Martin appears almost certain to remain at Richmond, after his last remaining suitor, the Brisbane Lions, officially withdrew their interest on Sunday.

A Lions statement on Sunday morning said the club had contacted Martin's manager Ralph Carr late last week to tell him it was not interested in trading for the midfielder.

"After evaluating our list and discussions with our general manager  of football operations, Dean Warren, and senior coach, Justin Leppitsch, we have decided not to pursue Dustin in the upcoming trade period," Lions national talent manager Rob Kerr said in the statement.

"We wish Dustin all the best in his career but at this point in time our key focus is on retaining the club's young talent, and we're working hard to try and achieve this."

The Lions follow Melbourne and Greater Western Sydney in declaring they will not pursue the talented 22-year-old, whose off-field behavior is seen as an issue.

In mid-September, Richmond sensationally announced that Martin would be pursuing offers from other clubs, after failing to reach agreement on a new contract despite months of negotiations.

But, with no other club declaring interest, the former No.3 draft pick's only option may be to re-sign at Punt Road, possibly on a lesser deal than that originally offered.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-29/lions-dont-want-dusty

You have to wonder how bad his off field indiscretions really are.  Leppitsch knows Dusty and would have been in the know on his past indiscretions and what Richmond did to clean them up and hide them.  If Leppitsch really wanted him he could have traded something from Brisbane, a Longer or a Karnetzsis and maybe a draft pick or two and I don't think there would be any hard feelings with Hardwick or the Richmond FC, if the trade was fair.

It would have been particularly easy as Brisbane have 3 or 4 players who want out anyway.

People have mentioned late nights, girls and "alleged" drugs, who knows what the truth is.
If this is the case then the process of shopping around for a better deal is nothing more than career suicide. Why put yourself under the spotlight and additional scrutiny when its not in your best interest to do so. Even Carr would know you don't damage your own investment so it just doesn't add up. In Brisbane's case I believe its more that Leppitsch understands Dusty and realises taking him on wouldn't be in Dusty's best interests.