Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 849829 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #450 on: July 11, 2010, 05:33:36 PM »
Dusty won't leave. We're a young and up and coming side part of a well supported and passionate club which is now winning games and he's getting maximum gametime in the heart of the action.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #451 on: July 11, 2010, 05:47:05 PM »
he is a freaking gun

plays like a man , plays like a seasoned star 

has no fear

he better not leave us

makes joel selwoods debut season look average !!!!!

He won't be going anywhere judging on his obvious bond with the other players and excitment of winning in the yellow and black. I was at the game and watching Dusty celebrate with the other players and coaches, hugging them with pure joy, my brother turned to me and said 'He's not going anywhere'. Hard to argue with that given how well we are going and the passion of the group.

Stripes

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #452 on: July 11, 2010, 05:54:37 PM »
Can Martin still poll RS votes like in the Brownlow?

Could be a bit embarrassing for the AFL and the eventual winner

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #453 on: August 01, 2010, 05:49:54 AM »
He's strong and he's bold
EMMA QUAYLE
August 1, 2010

Dustin Martin is comfortable in the spotlight. Photo: Craig Sillitoe

BEFORE he was drafted by Richmond late last year, Dustin Martin was boarding a few minutes' drive outside Bendigo with one of his junior teammates and his mother. They lived in a housing estate with new homes springing up everywhere, and as Martin leaned against a tree on a vacant property, having his photo taken for an Age article, a group of men working across the road began giving him a hard time.

They outnumbered him, they weren't particularly nice and they would have prompted many teenage footballers to request an alternative location. But they didn't worry this young man, at all. “They're idiots,” shrugged Martin, tucking a football underneath his arm, looking back at the camera, ignoring them completely and getting on with things. “Who cares about them?”

Not much gets under Dustin Martin's skin. “I don't like traffic …” said the midfielder this week, adding, “… and I hate slow drivers. But that's probably it, I reckon.” Watching the 19-year-old play all but one of Richmond's games this year, it has become clear that not much ruffles him on the field, either. He ranks second at his club for clearances and inside 50s, and third for contested possessions and disposals, and was nominated for the Rising Star Award after the 47-point win against Port Adelaide in round 10.

http://images.theage.com.au/2010/07/31/1727263/svTATTS-420x0.jpg
Dustin Martin shows off his tatts. Photo: Vince Caligiuri

Shadowed by Brett Kirk for much of the Tigers' round-14 win over Sydney, it was Martin who burst out of a pack late in the game, thumping the ball towards goal — this from a first-year player. Everything that has happened in the past eight months has been new to him. He wanted to play all of his first season, and he has found a way to, but not all of it has been as seamless as it has seemed from the outside.

It was obvious, in the few weeks leading up to the draft, that the Tigers would call Martin's name, but it still had to happen and he still went to bed each night thinking about how much things would suck if, for some reason, he didn't end up at an AFL club.

Moving to Melbourne, he was seriously unsure how he would remember the way to training each day. Waiting to start a pre-season run around the Tan, he felt nervous, hoping he wouldn't post a lousy time. “I thought I knew what it would be like, but everything surprised me, just with how professional it was, all the little things you had to do,” he explained. “I thought it would just be that we'd go to the club, train, and that's it. But you've got meetings, massages, physio, heaps of little things you wouldn't have thought of.”

He might have looked instantly comfortable against some of the competition's best midfielders, but he hasn't always felt that way. “It's still pretty weird, to be honest, playing against any team,” he said. “I still think of how I used to watch some of the players and think of how good they were, how I could never be that good. And then to be playing against them, competing against them and trying to beat them to get the footy, it's the weirdest thing. I like it, though. I like it a lot.”

As a footballer, Martin has been trying to get better every day. In training sessions, he reminds himself to ask not only why he has done something wrong, but what he has done right. At a stoppage during his round-one debut against Carlton, he paused for a moment, watching the ball, then looked for his opponent and saw him metres and metres away, running into the Blues' forward line. “I couldn't believe it. I just couldn't believe how fast the game was, how quick the players were. I had this problem with my defensive side — and I still do it a little bit — where I was watching the ball more than I should have been,” he said.

“Sometimes I just sort of sit there and watch where the ball's going, and all of sudden my man's down the other end of the ground and I'm chasing him. It's not like you can just go out there and play footy, in the AFL. You can at times, but you've to remember game plans, structures and all those things. There's a lot more to think about, but I think I'm getting better. Now I'm a bit more aware about what's going on around me. I still watch the footy a bit, but I think I do it less. That's what I had to do, switch on a bit quicker, jump onto things. I've improved a bit each week, I reckon.”

In other ways, Martin has tried not to move too far, too fast. As a teenager, he dropped out of his Castlemaine high school at the end of year nine, a decision he regrets now, but understands. “I was always keen to play AFL and I'd played in a schoolboys team and that sort of thing, but I started hanging out with blokes who weren't that interested in footy and who were kind of dragging me away from it a bit. Or, not dragging me away, but who probably just weren't such a good influence,” he said.

His father, Shane, made him move to Sydney and put him to work at his transport company, where Martin worked on the computer in the back office and loaded trucks. At Campbelltown, he played football alongside a few kids signed to NSW scholarships, and realised he should be able to play AFL too, if he wanted to.

He was away from home, he had no friends and he was working long, boring days. He was ready to go back, and he went back with more purpose. “I was just wasting my time, wasting my life up there,” said Martin, who made the Bendigo under-18 side four rounds into last year and by the end of the season was a No. 3 draft pick. “It was just, 'what am I doing with my life?' My dad was saying to me, 'These mates are no good for you' and all I was saying was, 'Yeah, whatever'. I wasn't going to school, I wasn't doing anything good with my time. He got me up there and it made me realise that I wasn't really going anywhere. I was working 12 hours a day, in a crappy job, and I didn't want to do that for however many years, for the rest of my life. There was no point in me being there, so I pretty much knew that I had to knuckle down.”

Martin grew up quickly, but he has, in his words, “sort of settled back down”. He moved in with a host family after the draft, then out to Altona with teammates Jayden Post and Ben Nason. He thought it was what he wanted to do, but he quickly realised that being independent meant cooking, and cleaning, and all those annoying things. From there, he moved in with club president Gary March and his family.

"I realised I wanted to just have a family around me again. I don't know what it is, it's just going home and having people there, I guess, sitting down to dinner with a family. It's been a much better thing for me, but we joke about it a bit. The boys were probably happy I went. I can be a little bit messy.”

He also has, he said, one more pet hate for the list. “Jayden Post's cooking. It's pretty bad. Can you add that in?”

Martin is learning more and more about footy — and about life — each day. “I've learnt a lot about life, I reckon,” he said. “Like how good it is to have a routine, to have a bit of purpose with what you do. How important it is, if you're doing something, to do it properly.” He is looking forward to the next month, to complete his plans to play an (almost) full first season.

“It feels like I've been here for ages already, but I'm still loving it every day,” he said. “I never wake up and wish I didn't have to train. I just love doing everything. When you're with the boys after the game, singing the song, it's so good. Even when you walk out of the ground, walk down Punt Road after a game with all the supporters, it's a pretty awesome feeling. It's been a good year, so far. It's been a really good year.”

TALE OF THE TATTS

DUSTIN Martin had his neck tattooed in June, returning from the mid-season break with two Maori phrases - Ngati Maru and Matai Whetu - on either side of his neck. He and father Shane also have an identical tattoo, "Live Free. Die Free" across their stomachs.

Ngati Maru, said Martin, represents his father's "bloodlines", while Matai Whetu is his family's traditional meeting place. "It's just about my heritage. It's something I'd wanted to get done for a while," he said. "Some spots weren't too bad, but other bits just killed."

RISING FAST

(Stats for Rising Star nominees after round 17)

Disposals (ave)
1 Tom Rockliff (BL, 14 games) 22.1
2 Jordan Gysberts (Melb, 3) 21
3 Tom Scully (Melb, 16) 20.4
=4 Dustin Martin (Rich, 16) 20.3
=4 Jack Trengove (Melb, 14) 20.3

Disposal efficiency
1 Phil Davis (Adel, 12 games) 83.4%
2 Ben Reid (Coll, 14) 78.9%
3 Ben Stratton (Haw, 15) 77.7%
4 Jarrad Grant (WB, 13) 75.3%
5 Tom Rockliff (BL, 14) 73.2%
(Martin 70.2%)

Contested possessions (ave)
=1 Dustin Martin (Rich, 16 games) 8.4

=1 Nic Naitanui (WC, 17) 8.4
3 Jordan Gysberts (Melb, 3) 8
4 Dan Hannebery (Syd, 15) 7.6
5 Jack Trengove (Melb, 14) 7

Clearances
1 Dustin Martin (Rich, 16 games) 4.8

2 Nic Naitanui (WC, 17) 3.8
3 Ryan Bastinac (NM, 17) 2.9
=4 Jack Trengove (Melb, 14) 2.9
=4 Jordan Gysberts (Melb, 3) 2.9

Tackles
1 Jack Redden (BL, 17 games) 5.7
2 Jack Trengove (Melb, 14) 3.9
3 Tom Scully (Melb, 16) 3.7
4 Todd Banfi eld (BL, 17) 3.5
5 Dustin Martin (Rich, 16) 3.4

Inside 50s
1 Dustin Martin (Rich, 16 games) 3.7

2 Todd Banfi eld (BL, 17) 3.5
3 Jack Redden (BL, 17) 3.4
4 Nat Fyfe (Freo, 12) 3.3
5 Ryan Bastinac (NM, 17) 2.9

Marks
=1 Ben Reid (Coll, 14 games) 5.4
=1 Tom Rockliff (BL, 14) 5.4
=1 Ben Stratton (Haw, 15) 5.4
=1 Jack Redden (BL, 17) 5.4
=1 Phil Davis (Adel, 12) 5.4
=1 Jarrad Grant (WB, 13) 5.4
(Martin 2.1)

STATS: CHAMPION DATA

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/richmond-tigers/hes-strong-and-hes-bold-20100731-110mz.html

TigerTimeII

« Reply #454 on: August 01, 2010, 10:01:13 AM »
GUN

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #455 on: August 01, 2010, 11:06:46 AM »
Emma Quayle sets a standard in her work that many other so called sports journalists should take note of.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline crannyvegas

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #456 on: August 01, 2010, 12:16:50 PM »
Emma Quayle sets a standard in her work that many other so called sports journalists should take note of.

exactly!
Detka! Detka! Detka!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #457 on: August 01, 2010, 04:02:05 PM »
He's also tough and rough

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #458 on: August 01, 2010, 04:43:35 PM »
Did Dusty drop the 'F' bomb in the interview with Colby on the ground?
Needs some media work as he didn't have the ready made cliches!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #459 on: August 03, 2010, 08:40:01 PM »
Caro mentioned earlier tonight on 3aw that Cousins has told people at Richmond that Martin is the best first year player he's ever played alongside.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #460 on: August 03, 2010, 08:52:34 PM »
Can Martin still poll RS votes like in the Brownlow?

Could be a bit embarrassing for the AFL and the eventual winner

no kb said he will get no votes at all

TigerTimeII

« Reply #461 on: August 03, 2010, 08:53:23 PM »
Caro mentioned earlier tonight on 3aw that Cousins has told people at Richmond that Martin is the best first year player he's ever played alongside.

thats cos dusty is

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #462 on: August 04, 2010, 01:11:03 AM »
The Herald-Sun are obsessed with footballers' tattoos especially Dusty's :yawn.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #463 on: August 05, 2010, 06:18:41 PM »
Hardwick: Martin the best youngster
sen.com.au
5-8-2010

Dustin Martin has produced one of the best first seasons seen by a player in AFL history.

That was the verdict of Richmond coach Damien Hardwick on Thursday as the Tigers and Martin prepared to face a Melbourne side chock-full of some of the game's most exciting young talent, at the MCG on Sunday.

Martin, the No.3 pick in last year's national draft, will come up against the two players taken immediately ahead of him in what was a stellar crop of 2009 draftees, in Melbourne pair Tom Scully and Jack Trengove.

However, while Martin is ineligible to win this year's AFL Rising Star Award - after accepting a reprimand for collecting Sydney's Josh Kennedy with a front-on bump in Round 3 - Hardwick has no doubt that if not for that incident, his young gun would be acclaimed the league's best young player this season.

"I think you would struggle to see a better first season," he said of Martin, prior to Richmond's training session at Victoria Park on Thursday.

Martin has burst onto the scene like a seasoned player, not only averaging more than 20 disposals per game while playing 17 of the 18 matches to date, but also impressing with his ability to win the contested ball - an area first year players traditionally struggle in, given their lack of size compared to older players.

"He is elite in a lot of areas," Hardwick said of Martin.

"He is elite in his ability to win the ball and he is a great clearance player and he is going to be a very good player for our club for a long time."

And Hardwick says that while Martin can consider himself unlucky to be ineligible to win the Rising Star Award - an award he surely would have won - he said that would not worry the 19-year-old in the slightest.

"It's an individual award and if you go and ask Dusty whether he wins it or not, he probably doesn’t mind as long as he is playing good footy for the Richmond Football Club and we are winning games."

Hardwick said Martin had also been helped considerably in his first season by the steadying advice and influence of veteran Ben Cousins - one of the AFL's best midfielders of the past decade, who has acted as a mentor for Martin throughout the season.

However despite Cousins' positive influence on the Tigers' young group and his own stellar form of recent weeks, Hardwick said the club was still no closer to deciding on whether to offer Cousins a new deal to continue his career in 2011.

http://sen.com.au/display-article/Hardwick-Martin-the-best-youngster/13212

Offline wayne again

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #464 on: August 05, 2010, 11:57:11 PM »
This is why cuz needs to play on next year.
One more year.