Author Topic: Browny and Cogs - final game for both  (Read 2555 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers say it's the end for Brown, Coughlan (Age)
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 06:45:17 AM »
Tigers say it's the end for Brown, Coughlan
Tim Clarke, Perth | August 29, 2009

IN A tumultuous start to the end to the season for Richmond and West Coast, Tiger stalwarts Nathan Brown and Mark Coughlan were told before the round-22 clash last night they would both be playing their last game for the club - while the retirement of Eagles premiership hero Adam Hunter was also confirmed.

With Ben Cousins returning to the ground he used to rule to take on the club he used to lead, even Perth's prodigal son was put in the shade temporarily with the slew of news before the first bounce.

Coughlan and Brown, with 172 games between them for Richmond before the match, will not get any more under new Tigers coach Damien Hardwick - with Brown likely to enter the draft. Tigers assistant coach David King told Fairfax Radio the Tigers' terrible season after such high hopes had taken its toll.

''That is unfortunately the cycle that football takes, players come under the microscope very quickly when you go through a cycle like Richmond have the last couple of years,'' King said.

''Mark has been an outstanding contributor, but just has not been able to get his body right - an absolute warrior.

''Nathan Brown will be first to tell he is a star of the game, but Nathan has not been able to get back to his best form.

''It is certainly not the players' choice, it has come from above, the club has made the decision not to offer those players contracts.''

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/tigers-say-its-the-end-for-brown-coughlan/2009/08/28/1251394593905.html

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Browny and Cogs - final game for both
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 11:42:19 AM »
Thanks for the memories Cogs and Browny but unfortunately that's all you had to offer the club this year.

Hopefully the first of many welcomed exclusions

Stripes

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 12:34:10 PM »
Well done to the both of them

Brown: we and he were robbed of his best after his broken leg. Our season went pear shape that night and to be honest I don't think we ever recovered in a way

Coughlan: I understand that he was one of our youngest B&F winners and again injuries curtailed his career but the reality for me at least was his games this year showed when he first came back that he major issues with pace.

I actually said to someone last night at the game that I honestly thought the club should have cut him last year - harsh I know but just my view   
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 09:08:51 PM »
Coughlan: I understand that he was one of our youngest B&F winners and again injuries curtailed his career but the reality for me at least was his games this year showed when he first came back that he major issues with pace.

I actually said to someone last night at the game that I honestly thought the club should have cut him last year - harsh I know but just my view   
The Club wanted to give Cogs a full preseason and then see how he went in the first month. He would've known deep down he was gone end of the April. A football tradegy he only played 92 games in 9 years.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 09:16:41 PM »
Did i miss something this week or did the Tigers not announce that these two would be retiring or moving on? I think both deserved a little bit better send off game. They both have been really great for our club and should have been treated with more respect in terms of the supporters saying goodbye. Really strange imo.   

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 09:21:58 PM »
Did i miss something this week or did the Tigers not announce that these two would be retiring or moving on? I think both deserved a little bit better send off game. They both have been really great for our club and should have been treated with more respect in terms of the supporters saying goodbye. Really strange imo.   

we dont owe them anything.

i would have thought giving COGS another 2 seasons when he didnt warrant it was a nice enough yet stupid thing to do.

Brown what has he actually done for our club.

Got injured in his prime, we kept him for a few seasons gave him every chance to get back. He didnt get better. End of story!!

hardwick would've had something to do with it and he was at the club only for the last round so what were you thinking. another send off game round 1 so us supporters can say goodbye.

no room for sentiment anymore pal we need to be ruthless
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 09:32:07 PM »

i would have thought giving COGS another 2 seasons when he didnt warrant it was a nice enough yet stupid thing to do.

Got injured in his prime, we kept him for a few seasons gave him every chance to get back. He didnt get better. End of story!!

hardwick would've had something to do with it and he was at the club only for the last round so what were you thinking. another send off game round 1 so us supporters can say goodbye.

I'm all for being ruthless but telling the members and supporters of the club that it is these guys last games is not to much to ask. Whatever they did at our club they both put their heart and soul into it.
No need to be a big hero Daniel, we all know how big a man you are!  :lol

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2009, 09:39:54 PM »

I'm all for being ruthless but telling the members and supporters of the club that it is these guys last games is not to much to ask. Whatever they did at our club they both put their heart and soul into it.
No need to be a big hero Daniel, we all know how big a man you are!  :lol

heart and soul are you taking the pee.

Cogs yes but tell me what part of Brown's time at the Tigers makes you think he put his heart and soul in it.

must have been all those forward 50 tackles he laid. yep thats it. Heart and Soul. All the gut running i saw him do i can count on one finger.

selfish player and a good example of what type of player we dont need at our club if we are too exceed.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »
Browny told MMM this arvo that he wants to play on (at another club obviously). He's going in for a groin operation this week. Jon Ralph said it's hard to see any club picking up a 32 year old whose best footy was 4 years ago and who'll need two months off to recover from the groin op but with the weaker draft you never know.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Nathan Brown to push on (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 04:49:34 AM »
Nathan Brown to push on
Mark Stevens From: Herald Sun September 15, 2009

NATHAN Brown's AFL career is not finished yet, with four clubs eyeing him as an X-factor forward.

NATHAN Brown's AFL career is not finished yet, with four clubs eyeing him as an X-factor forward.
Body:  After five years at Richmond, Brown was discarded before the club's final round clash against West Coast at Subiaco Oval.

But at the age of 31 he is determined to play on - and not just for one year.

Brown had adductor release surgery almost a fortnight ago.

Chris Judd underwent a similar procedure before joining Carlton and regained his explosive pace after a 2007 season ruined by groin tightness.

Brown carried soreness this year, affecting his mobility. He was also a victim of Richmond's poor season, battling a lack of quality supply.

Brown managed 16 goals in 13 games. He missed seven weeks mid-season.

He could appeal to clubs in the premiership window as a top-up player, capable of turning matches in bursts.

Hawthorn has shown a liking for a punt, taking Stuart Dew in the 2007 draft as a wildcard forward.

Sydney has also traditionally had a liking for mature age recruits.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/nathan-brown-to-push-on/story-e6frf9jf-1225773090741

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 10:25:42 AM »
You never know, we may still get a pick for him
If there are a couple of clubs interested and they are topping up they won't be using their 3rd & 4th rounders so will likely be happy to trade for him given they will only be giving up something they aren't going to use
I think you only have to pick up 2 players in the draft this year, normally it's 3

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Clubs chasing a flag show interest in Brown (RFC)
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2009, 04:37:43 PM »
Clubs chasing a flag show interest in Brown
richmondfc.com.au
By Ben Broad 3:40 PM Wed 16 September, 2009

FORMER Richmond star Nathan Brown’s best chance of continuing his AFL career will likely come from a club which believes it is on the verge of premiership success.

Brown’s manager said a few better-performed clubs this season had already inquired about his man’s intentions for next season.

It is thought clubs seeking extra firepower might be in the market for a player such as Brown, should he be able to prove he has overcome the niggles that hindered him this season.

Brown has booted 349 goals from 219 AFL matches with the Western Bulldogs and the Tigers.

The 31-year-old has already been told by the Tigers that he will not be offered a new contract.

Dan Richardson, from ESP, said his client was overcoming groin surgery to repair the damage that ruined much of his 2009 season before he would assess his options.

“At this stage we’re just sort of weighing it up,” Richardson told afl.com.au. “It’s probably a bit early to know, for sure.

“The teams that may have interest in him are probably the ones that are still in the hunt [for the premiership], so as far as the level of interest in him playing on, it’s still a little early to know.

“At this stage he’s focused on getting himself physically right. He had a little operation last week that was sort of similar to what Judd had and obviously recovered from.”

Brown’s only avenue of extending his career would be via the NAB AFL Draft on November 26, or through the pre-season draft.

Given Brown’s injury troubles this year – he appeared restricted at times in his 13 senior matches – clubs would be likely to want to assess the clever forward’s physical fitness before opting to take a punt.

Only time will tell whether the goalkicker will get an opportunity to build on his games tally.

“There are clubs that have certainly expressed a degree of interest, but it’s a bit early to know how strong that is,” Richardson said.

“It probably depends a little bit on the outcome of the next couple of weeks.”

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/84842/default.aspx

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2009, 04:40:10 PM »
Browny may finally get that finals footy he claimed he was after when he first cam to the Tigers! :shh

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2009, 04:51:04 AM »
In the media for Browny post-footy according to the Herald-Sun. Only a unlikely last-minute, from left-field reprieve from an AFL club will save him from retirement.