Author Topic: PSD Selection 2  (Read 16841 times)

Offline Ekto

• Premiership Captain
Re: PSD Selection 2
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2009, 09:33:52 AM »
Get more Calder Premiership players onto the list I say.

Jesse Smith won the BoG medal in the 2004 TAC Grand Final and if he is able to prove his fitness then we would be mad to overlook him.

Getting him on the list with Whitey, Gus Graham and now with Mitch Farmer can only add to our chances of success in the next few years.

Geelong had about 5 Premiership winninig Cannons in their Premiership sides so going with Premiership Cannons is a safer bet than some other choices.

I bet Port Adelaide are glad they got David Rodan too.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2009, 11:04:39 AM »
See the Lions have officially de-listed Joel MacDonald

Would he be worth looking at with pick in the PSD?
Are you pinning our chances next year on who we pick up in the PSD?? Very interested in other teams discards.i hear Kade Klemke got delisted too maybe we could pick him up this year.

Actually I am not interested in other teams discards - was just raising the question for discussion  :thumbsup

Wondering if people think he has some upside - seeing he played 22 games in 2009 and is only 25
MacDonald is inconsistent. He either gets a stack of it which makes him stand out or he is quiet. He'd probably make a good depth player for a side challenging but we don't need another middle-of-the-road player for mine. We also have too many flankers as it is  :-\.

Does everyone remember Shane Morrison & Luke Weller?? I think MacDonald is in the same catergory, An inconsistent Lions reject. NO thanks!!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2009, 11:26:21 AM »

MacDonald is inconsistent. He either gets a stack of it which makes him stand out or he is quiet. He'd probably make a good depth player for a side challenging but we don't need another middle-of-the-road player for mine. We also have too many flankers as it is  :-\.

Does everyone remember Shane Morrison & Luke Weller?? I think MacDonald is in the same catergory, An inconsistent Lions reject. NO thanks!!

I think you guys might be judging MacDonald a bit harshly.  He has played some very good football for Brisbane and I think he might be a victim of their salary cap more than anything else.  Here are some stats:

2004 - 11 games
2005 - 18 games
2006 - 3 games
2007 - 9 games
2008 - 17 games
2009 - 22 games

He averages 16.4 disposals, 4.2 marks, 1.9 tackles.

He did a knee in Round 3 2006 and came back mid '07.  Since then he has become a permanent fixture in their side again, only missing games due to injury, never form.  Leigh Matthews is a fair judge of footballer and MacDonald was a regular in his teams.  He turned 25 this week so he is not overly old to our rebuilding side - I think he would be a huge improvement in our team to a McMahon or Raines.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2009, 12:38:32 PM »
Jesse Smith has chronic ankle injuries. Stay away will be a waste as he can't get onto the paddock. Talented and good player but means jack with his injuries. 3 Vic clubs passed on him on their Doctors advice. Essendon and St Kilda were two of those clubs.

I would not mind a punt on McDonald. Comparing him to Weller or Morrison draws a long bow. Weller was never a permanent fixture in a Brisbane side that was winning flags and Morrison we thought was a ready made CHF that was kept out of the side by Jonathon Brown hence we rated him so highly and gave Weller the time of day also. When they bombed they bombed. I remember people thinking Morrison was going to kick 50+ goals in 2004 and I don't think he got to 10. Neither were permanent fixtures in their side and you could see why once they put on the yellow and black at least McDonald was and Bris Vegas finished in the finals so he can't be all that bad.

If we can't get our hands on Ball then McDonald would be a good get. As opposed to trading for these blokes last week. Picking them up in PSD costs us nothing and will at least enhance our playing list slightly. They both are of 25 years of age so they have a number of good years of footy left in them.

Tigermonk

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2009, 12:56:58 PM »

Jesse Smith won the BoG medal in the 2004 TAC Grand Final and if he is able to prove his fitness then we would be mad to overlook him.

Getting him on the list with Whitey, Gus Graham and now with Mitch Farmer can only add to our chances of success in the next few years.

Geelong had about 5 Premiership winninig Cannons in their Premiership sides so going with Premiership Cannons is a safer bet than some other choices.

I bet Port Adelaide are glad they got David Rodan too.

and its supporters like you who would want players like him at the club  :lol So what if he won a BOG medal in the 2004 TAC GF
Coughlan won a B&F in 2003 & has gone because of injury & has 10 times more class than Smith & proved his over his injuries but is not upto league level anymore
The Smith window has closed,  His body cannot handle the rise in level from TAC to League, but you still want him after a game he played well in 5 years ago,
5 years is along time in football at league level & still aint made a solid place in a weak Kangaroos side. Move on  ;D get over it his time is over.  :shh
We need to look at players like Ball, Wojinski, who are top line footballers & try to snare someone away from another club whos out of contract who might just leave for the right contract & money & this year could be the best year in many for players moving clubs. But dont wish for other clubs rubbish.  We been down that path too many times & its always sickening  :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2009, 03:23:14 PM »
Macdonald's manager, Marty Pask said he hadn't yet discussed Macdonald with the Demons or Richmond, with both clubs' key football staff out of Melbourne. 

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86144/default.aspx

Ramps

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2009, 10:09:31 AM »
Id hope wed be looking for a decent out of contract ruckman, if not, lets hope FJ has been to see the club that Jurrah played for last year. There has to be some aboriginal talent somewhere to get the hoardes excited. And if not, the Boogster is raring to get his opportunity at AFL level  :lol

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2009, 11:37:19 AM »
I think Liam Jurrah may have been a standout. Before He was drafted to Melbourne he came up from Alice Springs to play in Darwin. One of the local football commetators, Charlie King, just raved raved about how good he was and how exciting it was to have such a talent come to Darwin to play. I have never heard him go on and on about a player in such a way, before or since.

Cheers
Al
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2009, 05:04:29 PM »
BRISBANE seem best poised to snare former Kangaroo Jesse Smith, with the club heading a list of suitors for the injury-plagued midfielder.

He has since completed medicals with the Lions, Hawthorn, Essendon and Geelong, and his manager Liam Pickering has fielded enquires from the Sydney Swans and Fremantle.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86157/default.aspx

It doesn't appear we are interested in Smith.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2009, 05:29:39 PM »
bugga me, might be easier to produce a list of players the lions aint interested in :o...Ball, Smith, what next Nathan Brown :lol
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Ekto

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2009, 10:15:29 PM »

and its supporters like you who would want players like him at the club  :lol So what if he won a BOG medal in the 2004 TAC GF
Coughlan won a B&F in 2003 & has gone because of injury & has 10 times more class than Smith & proved his over his injuries but is not upto league level anymore
The Smith window has closed,  His body cannot handle the rise in level from TAC to League, but you still want him after a game he played well in 5 years ago,

You haven't seen that English teacher that I recommended yet have you Monk.

What part of "if he is able to prove his fitness" didn't you understand?

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2009, 04:52:21 PM »
Id hope wed be looking for a decent out of contract ruckman, if not, lets hope FJ has been to see the club that Jurrah played for last year. There has to be some aboriginal talent somewhere to get the hoardes excited. And if not, the Boogster is raring to get his opportunity at AFL level  :lol
I think Liam Jurrah may have been a standout. Before He was drafted to Melbourne he came up from Alice Springs to play in Darwin. One of the local football commetators, Charlie King, just raved raved about how good he was and how exciting it was to have such a talent come to Darwin to play. I have never heard him go on and on about a player in such a way, before or since.

Cheers
Al

I may have spoken too soon here.
A sports editorial in the local rag today;

(Morris on Monday.)

Best talent is in our own backyard

I hope Kevin Sheedy and his AFL comrades read this weeks Northern Territory News reports on Liam Patrick with a lot of intent.

Patrick's brilliance in three starts for Wanderers is further proof, if it was needed, of the wealth of football talent across the Territory.

The "Lajamanu Lightning Bolt" has already attracted the attention of AFL clubs, including Hawthorn, Melbourne and Richmond.

Hawthorns West Coast recruiting manager, Garry Buckenara was at TIO Stadium on Saturday night to look at Patrick, despite doing his best to keep a low profile.

But his target was obviously the lanky Centralian in the No. 10 Wanderers jumper.

One recruiting manager I spoke to last month rates Patrick, but has him marked slightly behind another Liam - Jurrah- in all round ability.

Let me tell that person Liam Patrick deserves the title of "Walpiri Wizard Mark 2". The only decision this writer needs to make is whether to mark Patrick slightly higher than the original Walpiri Wizard.

Patrick can fly like an eagle, mark anything near him and kick and handball with precision.

More importantly, he can turn a game - as he has in the last two weeks from losing positions against the Tiwi Bombers and NIghtcliff.

Asked after Saturday's second Houdini escape act in as many weeks if the AFL was his aim, Patricks face broke into a grin.

At 21 years of age and with at ten years of top-line football left in him, Patrick must be right at the top of several clubs "get him" list.

Now sheeds, where are we with that discussion about wasting millions of dollars outside Australia on phantom recruits when the real diamonds are on our front doorstep.

Northern Territory News, Monday, October 19, 2009.

They don't appear to put the editorials on line.

I dont buy the newspaper that often, so can't comment on the writer and his knowledge, or lack there of.

Cheers
Al
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2009, 12:16:59 AM »
Sounds like the kid might have a bit of go in him, if he does have that spark about him we could definitely have him at the club over some of the players that have been de-listed and/or left their clubs. At least he is in our age range, be interesting to see a video of him.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2009, 05:51:18 PM »
Francis Leech on SEN reckoned Richmond will be interested in Matt Maguire because we need a big body defender.

We don't need a slow-turning injury-riddled 26 year old either Francis  :nope

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2009, 07:05:27 PM »
Yes we are going to possibly delist a guy who got hit by a tram and possibly the rigors of footy are beyond him long term only to pick up a guy who has had so many injuries and as a result his legs can no longer stand the rigors of AFL footy. :whistle

We aint in the news so they'll make anything up. :wallywink