Author Topic: Richmond snubs Geelong Falcons, says manager Michael Turner  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Richmond snubs Geelong Falcons, says manager Michael Turner
« on: October 16, 2009, 11:56:14 AM »
RICHMOND hasn't approached the Geelong Falcons to research a young player in four years, Falcons manager Michael Turner says.

The revelation comes as the Tigers eye Falcons captain Ben Cunnington with their first pick (third overall) in next month's National Draft.

Turner said recruiters from the other 15 clubs had either regularly attended Falcons training sessions or maintained contact with himself or Falcons coach Garry Hocking.

He said Richmond's tactics had stunned him given the Falcons were the most drafted team in the history of the TAC Cup competition.

The Falcons reared seven of the 22 players recently picked in the Herald Sun's TAC Cup team of the century.

"For an AFL club not to contact a TAC Cup club who are the most drafted in Australia, and probably the most successful, I find quite astounding," Turner said.

"They (recruiters) can come down on a Thursday night, talk to our staff, see how we run the program to hopefully give them a bit of confidence. They get to see the kids training, see how the kids act - it just gives them a bit more insight."

But Richmond said it went around the former Cat great to complete its recruiting homework.

"A recruiting representative from Richmond was present at every Geelong Falcons game during 2009 and our recruiting staff have spoken to several players throughout the year," Tigers communication manager Judith Donnelly said.

Richmond is considering Cunnington with pick three in the draft.

Cunnington, 18, captained Victorian Country at the under-18 National Championships this season, won all-Australian selection and finished runner-up in the TAC Cup league best and fairest.

Turner has described him as the most professional player he has seen in his time at the club.

The Tigers last drafted a Geelong Falcon when they rookie listed Nathan Foley in 2005.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2009/10/16/112571_geelong_sports.html

Gee, a bit of a worry if this is true.
The comment about Cunnington is interesting as most of the talk seems to be on Martin, assuming Melbourne take Scully and Trengrove.

Cheers
Al
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond snubs Geelong Falcons, says manager Michael Turner
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 12:14:48 PM »
Good find al! Is very interesting and disturbing if correct which I would believe it to be before this and possibly last year. Our recruiting was misinformed until recently to say the least.

Stripes

Tigermonk

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 12:23:13 PM »
they may not have had any contact with the club but that dont mean the talent scouts & development officers were not present.
l know some who turn up at games & say hello & sit well away from everyone & quitely leave after the game.
No need for them to talk to everyone if they are watching the players so dont know what the fuss is all about
Might be the fact Turner wants the kid to go to another club & Richmond have contacted him & told him & his parents they want him & he might have preference for another club & is worried he aint going to the club of his choice which is bad luck  ;D

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 12:31:12 PM »
The 15 other clubs seem to think that there is some merit in talking to the manager and coach when trying to determine the suitability of the kids to draft, but the Richmond scouts and recruiters seem to think they can make informed, quality decisions without doing so?
I suppose the proof is in the pudding.

Cheers
Al
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 02:05:13 PM »
I think you'll find we're one of the most underground recruiting teams.  They don't fashion ourselves out in our club jacket and gear to go and watch a game, they just go and watch.  So in that case we don't stand out but that doesn't mean we aren't there.

Asking questions of coaches and managers probably will only lead to biased answers anyway.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Tigermonk

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 02:27:21 PM »
some dont wear colors & some are just volunteers who give info back to the clubs
Like Gippsland Power why would you need a Richmond scout when ex Tiger Peter Francis runs the club
At the club Best & Fairest recently won in a tie by 2 fine players Tim Northe & Nicholas Sing a 1st year player who is a small defender & shutdown some top scalps this year will surely be watched closely next year & hopefully have a good season & get drafted
Clubs do have people who are just volunteers & not on any payrole & then you got those who are on the AFL payroll who also give information back to clubs but are involved at clubs in other roles.  ;D
you dont always have to rely on Scouts or Development officers you also have ex Richmond players all over the place

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 05:35:17 PM »
they may not have had any contact with the club but that dont mean the talent scouts & development officers were not present.
l know some who turn up at games & say hello & sit well away from everyone & quitely leave after the game.

Spot on Monk

Just going to watch VFL games and you see certain people watching (I know I do)... no fanfare just there to watch and then leave and then go report back to their clubs

Pood old Mickey Turner - sounds very bitter about something ... ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Freezer Boy

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 06:40:12 PM »
And what is Turner going to say about Geeong falcon players.  Sometimes it may not be worth while as they will always talk their palyers up.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 12:13:08 AM »
Michael Turner's job should be to coach these kids and nurture these kids. It should not matter to him if Freo Brisbane St Kilda or Richmond approach him and enquire about his players. It would be a feather in his cap if his proteges make it on AFL list regardless of what club it is. That is his job. I'm sure if Geelong or any other club has selected a fair few Falcons in previous drafts he would not go out on a limb and say so and so enquire all the time about these boys and have picked up so many Falcons in the last few years :whistle

WP maybe his bitterness stems from 2nd semi final day out at Waverley when KB went bezerk and kicked 8 and we won our way into the GF. :lol :rollin :lol

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 02:22:44 AM »
Bizarre article, The bloke down there wouldn't know if his ar$e was on fire.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 11:04:34 AM »
Possibly Turner bullying us slightly to select some Geelong Falcons in a shallow draft and make Turner look good.