Author Topic: Bernie Finn running for the Board?!  (Read 5059 times)

Gigantor

Re: Bernie Finn running for the Board?!
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
Al the points you raise are interesting.....Does a challenge to the board or positions keep the existing people on their toes and thus as Don chip said"keep the bastards honest' or does it cause those people to' drop the ball' and take their eyes of the job ahead?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2009, 05:18:27 PM »
No faceless Cowards, only tell you want was said, like it or not.
Has nothing to do with me

Sorry Jack I think you missed my point

I am not disputing what you have been told but at this time of the year there appears that there is always someone approaching somoeone else about running for the board or challenging the current board.

The faceless cowards as I like to refer to them as are the ones who always approach someone else to do it but never have the guts to do it themselves. Why?

Any person should have the right to rum for any elected position at a football club. In fact it is better if there are challenges to the incumbents as they cannot take their position for granted.
The problem is, it seems the Richmond Football club is incapable of this happening without it representing the factional infighting of the ALP caucus. Looking at it from the outside, it appears that the whole period of Richmond being just crap on the field, is littered with ugly, messy stoushes for board positions.  

Al, I agree any person has the right to challenge - I actually have no problem with that as long as they can bring something meaningful to the board whether that be a specific skill set that the board may lack or extra sponsors. People challenging for the sake of it .... well it doesn't do much apart for destablising things.

My frustration and point is as I menitoned above I have a problem with someone approaching someone else to do it - why don't they have the courage to do it themselves
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2009, 05:56:30 PM »

Any person should have the right to rum for any elected position at a football club. In fact it is better if there are challenges to the incumbents as they cannot take their position for granted.
The problem is, it seems the Richmond Football club is incapable of this happening without it representing the factional infighting of the ALP caucus. Looking at it from the outside, it appears that the whole period of Richmond being just crap on the field, is littered with ugly, messy stoushes for board positions.  

Al, I agree any person has the right to challenge - I actually have no problem with that as long as they can bring something meaningful to the board whether that be a specific skill set that the board may lack or extra sponsors. People challenging for the sake of it .... well it doesn't do much apart for destablising things.

My frustration and point is as I menitoned above I have a problem with someone approaching someone else to do it - why don't they have the courage to do it themselves

Thats the sort i thing i tried to allure to WP. It never seems to be clean. It always seems to be someone running about behind the scenes trying to garnish support and white ant others. It's underhand, messy, and unhelpful.  When ever someone approaches another to run for the board it should be for the reasons you mention. More often than not it seems it is just a political thing. Someone trying to load up with 'their people' -  Someone that will back their point of view in the board room or something, I don't know. As I said It seems to me, from the outside, to be just the same sort of factional poo that happens in the ALP caucus. Self serving interests rather than just getting down to business in a mature and professional fashion. It just about makes you wonder if there are Carlton or Collingwood scum planted just to create this sort of disharmony.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2009, 12:18:24 PM »
what about someone from Punt Rd approaching Geoff Raines to stand. mmmmm :shh ;)

Funny you mention that Jack.  I spoke to him a few years back (at the tail end of the Casey era) and he said he offered to run but was knocked back by those in power.  Seems they thought he might not be able to be objective enough given his son had just been drafted and that on top of that he wouldn't be able to do a board position justice because he was living on the Gold Coast.  Not saying he should have run but the excuses he was given were p-weak and he certainly would have brought some successful capabilities to the table.

jackstar is back again

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2009, 06:00:15 PM »
what about someone from Punt Rd approaching Geoff Raines to stand. mmmmm :shh ;)

Funny you mention that Jack.  I spoke to him a few years back (at the tail end of the Casey era) and he said he offered to run but was knocked back by those in power.  Seems they thought he might not be able to be objective enough given his son had just been drafted and that on top of that he wouldn't be able to do a board position justice because he was living on the Gold Coast.  Not saying he should have run but the excuses he was given were p-weak and he certainly would have brought some successful capabilities to the table.

I find him real likeable, some people mighten like him.
I am a business associate of his,.
Nothing wrong with him, what you see is what you get.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2009, 07:29:48 PM »
Al the points you raise are interesting.....Does a challenge to the board or positions keep the existing people on their toes and thus as Don chip said"keep the bastards honest' or does it cause those people to' drop the ball' and take their eyes of the job ahead?
Gigantor, somehow I missed your question.
I think people who are in an elected position should fully expect to have a challenge to that position each and every time it's up for re election. In saying that the point you raise is a very real drawback of any democratic process, in that people start working to keep their position rather than working to do their job. As of yet I don't know anyone that has come up with a clear cut better system yet.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI