Author Topic: Contoversial Topic #1 - Global Warming & Carbon Emissions Trading  (Read 94061 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Contoversial Topic #1 - Global Warming & Carbon Emissions Trading
« Reply #180 on: June 04, 2014, 12:32:40 PM »
quite simple. for economic growth you need population growth.

population growth creates growth in demand for goods and services.

no population growth means things stagnate at best, or go backwards as the current population ages.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #181 on: June 04, 2014, 02:32:47 PM »
Sounds very silly to me.

Doesn't take into consideration - for example oil is a finite not infinite resource

Hence More people = more demand = more economic growth.. What about when there is no more oil? (Or fish or trees or whatever)

Yet we live in a state where we sell assets for short term profit regardless of then no longer having the asset and then being screwed. And a world where it's not seen as odd for one man to have 125 billion dollars and another nothing so it does not surprise me.

Yet from a theoretical sense the consumer-capitalist paradigm to me seems flawed.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #182 on: June 04, 2014, 02:55:49 PM »
The oil will run out whether there is growth or not. Cuba have already shown that you can survive with minimal oil as they had to adapt when the soviet union collapsed and their oil supply ( as well as fertiliser) supply disappeared.
Of course though, they dont have the constraints of capitalism driving their decision making .

Im not defending the system, or saying it is good, just how it is.

as long as the emphasis is on economic growth, you need population growth, which is why i refer to it as a pyramid system. eventually it will fail, and not just for this reason.

as an example, if the population remained stagnant, you would soon have little need to build new buildings. There goes not just a whole industry, but one that is a major driver of the economy. Its why many economists put a  importance on new housing approvals as an indicator of how the economy is travelling.

The capitalist system isn't something that is planned. no one sat down and wrote a book on how it would work, it has evolved over time, in what has been very much a trial and error caper.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #183 on: June 04, 2014, 03:07:40 PM »
My mistake I was using the 16th-18th century as a starting point but upon further reading it seems to have a more Loose starting point.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #184 on: June 04, 2014, 03:24:40 PM »
Yeah, probably a few thousand years before JC played full back for Jerusalem, when money first came into being.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #185 on: June 05, 2014, 05:09:06 PM »
Source

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #186 on: June 05, 2014, 07:01:07 PM »

dwaino

« Reply #187 on: June 05, 2014, 09:21:44 PM »
 :lol :thatsgold

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #188 on: June 06, 2014, 05:05:50 AM »
THE CSIRO may have discovered a process that may end the reliance on fossil fuels for energy.

Dubbing it a game-changer that was on a level with the breaking of the sound barrier, the organisation said it had used solar energy to generate hot and pressurised supercritical steam at the highest temperatures ever achieved outside of fossil fuel sources.

The organisation said the breakthrough was just the first step and it was now a matter of proving the process could work in a commercial application.

The breakthrough was made at the CSIRO Energy Centre, Newcastle, where two solar thermal test plants featuring more than 600 mirrors are directed at two towers housing solar receivers and turbines.

http://www.news.com.au/national/csiro-claims-gamechanging-solar-discovery-could-end-reliance-on-fossil-fuels/story-e6frfkp9-1226943557823

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir

dwaino

« Reply #190 on: June 06, 2014, 07:33:23 AM »
THE CSIRO may have discovered a process that may end the reliance on fossil fuels for energy.

Dubbing it a game-changer that was on a level with the breaking of the sound barrier, the organisation said it had used solar energy to generate hot and pressurised supercritical steam at the highest temperatures ever achieved outside of fossil fuel sources.

The organisation said the breakthrough was just the first step and it was now a matter of proving the process could work in a commercial application.

The breakthrough was made at the CSIRO Energy Centre, Newcastle, where two solar thermal test plants featuring more than 600 mirrors are directed at two towers housing solar receivers and turbines.

http://www.news.com.au/national/csiro-claims-gamechanging-solar-discovery-could-end-reliance-on-fossil-fuels/story-e6frfkp9-1226943557823

I'm sure the science minister will get right on to this with some funding... oh wait.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #191 on: June 07, 2014, 06:18:33 AM »

Finally Abbott might have a reason to get serious on climate change.

:lol

US ties at risk over climate

June 7, 2014
Peter Hannam 

Australia risks seriously damaging its international reputation and being isolated in the global debate on climate change unless it rethinks its inaction on greenhouse gases, international experts have warned.

And a top adviser to the Obama administration on climate change said Australia could jeopardise its relationship with the United States if the Abbott government fails to fall into line on climate policy.

''I think everyone except the climate deniers is deeply concerned with the direction [Australia] is going,'' Heather Zichal, the White House's chief climate adviser until last November, told Fairfax Media.

A new report released ahead of a meeting between President Barack Obama and Prime Minister Tony Abbott next Friday found Australia's commitment to addressing climate change had slipped behind other countries, including China and Indonesia.

''The implication from US policy for Australia is that we have stepped up to the table with solid solutions to this global challenge. Is Australia going to join President Obama in making progress or stand on the sidelines?'' Ms Zichal said.

The concern over Australia's stance came as the leaders of the Group of Seven major economies expressed their ''strong determination'' to adopt a global climate treaty that was ''ambitious, inclusive and reflects changing global circumstances'' at a summit in Paris next year.

It also coincides with China, the world's biggest emitter, confirming its intentions to limit emissions for the first time. ''We will try our utmost to peak as early as possible,'' said Xie Zhenhua, China's chief climate envoy.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/us-ties-at-risk-over-climate-20140606-39omo.html#ixzz33tNHkY32
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #192 on: June 07, 2014, 01:34:58 PM »
FFS even Americans think he's an idiot.  :banghead

Rampstar

« Reply #193 on: June 07, 2014, 01:57:57 PM »
the americans are the biggest dills in the world who gives a poo what they say  ;D

dwaino

« Reply #194 on: June 07, 2014, 02:43:30 PM »
Massive correlation between religious numpties and climate change skeptics.