Author Topic: Contoversial Topic #1 - Global Warming & Carbon Emissions Trading  (Read 87597 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Contoversial Topic #1 - Global Warming & Carbon Emissions Trading
« Reply #315 on: December 23, 2016, 01:20:35 AM »
Australia is on track to miss its 2030 carbon pollution reduction target, with official data released ahead of the Christmas break showing emissions are still rising.

The federal government on Thursday made public the official quarterly emissions data for the year to June showing an increase of 0.8 per cent on the previous year.

It also released projections showing emissions in 2030 will be just 0.5 per cent lower than 2005 levels, rather than the government's own targets of 26-28 per cent lower.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/australias-carbon-emissions-on-the-rise/news-story/e0ba39f1d0bd21ea272b20e93e7a896a

"Direct Action" is working well.  :sarcasm
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #316 on: January 20, 2017, 04:33:21 AM »
2016 warmest year on record globally, NASA and NOAA data show.

Third record-breaking year in a row for average surface temperatures.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/01/170118112554.htm

https://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs/

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #317 on: January 20, 2017, 11:33:55 AM »
And yet we had our coldest winter in a long time here and they have had a really cold winter in the states

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #318 on: January 20, 2017, 11:36:27 PM »
And yet we had our coldest winter in a long time here and they have had a really cold winter in the states
The majority of the globe isn't just parts of Australia or the US though (the US had its 3rd hottest summer in 2016 by the way). In any case, it's the long-term mean global temperature trend that is of note rather than a single year data point of what is a non-linear system. There may probably be some slight natural correction to the recent El Nino over 2017 but the long term trend continues to increase thanks to human activity artificially pumping additional CO2 into the atmosphere (now at 406ppm and rising). Ad nauseam talk from certain scientifically illiterate and politically bias media and blogsphere of "pauses" and even global cooling meaning the end of global warming, has not surprisingly been shown to the false.

Global warming relates to the increasing energy withheld within the Earth's climate system due to the 'blanket' effect of increasing greenhouse gases in the atmosphere (such as CO2). This is turn results in climate change = more extreme weather more often. As the Earth warms (withholds more energy), you'll expect over time to observe hotter than usual summers more often, colder than usual winters more often, heavier precipitation than usual more often when there's precipitation, droughts that are harsher and last longer than usual, etc ... The increasing energy withheld (warming) acts as an amplifying effect on the Earth's climate.

tony_montana

« Reply #319 on: January 21, 2017, 10:35:00 PM »
How are global temperatures measured? and is it reliable?
Have temps been taken from the same places year after year after year since they started keeping records?
Why do greenhouse gases create hotter summers and colder winters?
In an age of fake news coming from old media where agendas and headlines are more important than journalistic integrity, how can I trust that what's being reported is actual fact and not just rubbish opinion pieces using stats to suit their argument.

im naturally a very cynical person and not ashamed to admit that I can't help but feel strongly that this is all being pushed in the background by some that stand to make A LOT of money from it. I have tried to read up on it as much as I can but find it extremely difficult to find reliable black and white answers.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #320 on: January 22, 2017, 10:39:01 PM »
who currently has the power to influence science and stands to make a lot of money from it?

The only established industry that stand to benefit is potentially the nuclear industry, and that is only small in the scheme of things, especially when compared to the fossil fuel industry who stand to lose the most. It is also unlikely they gain any great growth.

By all means, follow the money trail, but this isnt like the processed food industry influencing nutritional science as they have since ansell keys forged his findings that animal fat causes heart disease. there really isnt any money trail as the big money and influence is actually against the notion
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Ruanaidh

« Reply #321 on: January 25, 2017, 11:52:00 PM »
Hooray for the Holocene, may it reign for as long as we can keep the party Rolling on :cheers. When it comes to an end, and it will, there will be 3 areas in Australia that will sustain small communities (as evidenced by archeological records)....and I will be keeping that info to myself thank you very much :thumbsup BTW this topic isn't "controversial", it is physics. The climate fluctuates, so what!

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #322 on: January 26, 2017, 11:47:06 AM »
and the quicker the climate changes the harder it is for animals and plants to adapt, but so what? Humans are above nature anyway.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #323 on: January 26, 2017, 03:15:18 PM »
I think its likely that as other primary species evolve on other planets that these planets environments and climates would be modified to best fit the needs of that species. Anything which isnt needed or which is dangerous would be killed off. Crops and terraforming the planet to a stable pleasant ecosystem to best sustain life and well being of the primary species. Meteorology would be mastered. Ice caps and deserts would be replaced with purposeful populated fields.

In fact, it may even be that preserving planets at their original state and including caring what other lesser species think is seen as highly primitive or backward.

Having said that, the climate change that is occuring here on Earth  is probably more harmful than good to our specie in yhe medium to long term. We have no idea the full repercussions of what we are doing.  And the more species lost the less stock we have for dna, medical research, nanotech etc etc and other research which could have benefitted our species in the future.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #324 on: January 31, 2017, 03:32:33 PM »
How are global temperatures measured? and is it reliable?
Depends on the how far you want to go back in time. Prior to 150 years ago, you require various proxies (eg: ice cores) to determine past temperatures, CO2 levels, etc. The past 150 years has been measured with land, sea and air based scientific instruments, while satellites are now used as well (past 40-50 years). The proxies and scientific instrument based data match up over the crossover period (late 1800s) [n.b. post-1960 the tree ring proxy deviates but that's known to scientists]. Measurements are more reliable with improving technology.

Have temps been taken from the same places year after year after year since they started keeping records?
Not an issue as a process known as homogenisation is used to average out micro-climate differences over large areas.

Why do greenhouse gases create hotter summers and colder winters?
Increasing greenhouses gases mean the Earth's climate system retains more energy (more energy = global warming). This in time will increase the intensity and frequency of climate extremes (both hot and cold, etc). A weather event that was say a once in a century event may now occur more often.

In an age of fake news coming from old media where agendas and headlines are more important than journalistic integrity, how can I trust that what's being reported is actual fact and not just rubbish opinion pieces using stats to suit their argument.

im naturally a very cynical person and not ashamed to admit that I can't help but feel strongly that this is all being pushed in the background by some that stand to make A LOT of money from it. I have tried to read up on it as much as I can but find it extremely difficult to find reliable black and white answers.
The vast majority of scientists are thankfully not politicians nor politically biased journos and media commentators. Using a proof by contradiction, if AGW was false then the scientist(s) that showed it would immediately become the preeminent climate scientists being chased by the most prestigious scientific institutions/universities and private companies. Despite this carrot, the vast majority of climate scientists agree about AGW based on their views of the empirical evidence that supports AGW. The study of CO2 in the Earth's atmosphere goes back to the late 19th century (1896) and knowledge of AGW as far back as the late 1950s. Scientific consensus was pretty much reached by the late 1970s. That's a long time to ago to be pushing a "scam".

Ruanaidh

« Reply #325 on: January 31, 2017, 09:43:19 PM »
Being on the wrong side of science and history must be a bummer......and a waste of a life.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #326 on: February 01, 2017, 12:20:48 PM »
I suppose the way i look at its likelihood is, if 99% of doctors said i had cancer and recommended treatment, and 1% said i didnt and do nothing, would i gamble on ignoring it? Probably not.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Ruanaidh

« Reply #327 on: February 01, 2017, 01:17:49 PM »
I suppose the way i look at its likelihood is, if 99% of doctors said i had cancer and recommended treatment, and 1% said i didnt and do nothing, would i gamble on ignoring it? Probably not.
stuff... If it wasn't you I wouldn't respond. Science is not reached by consensus and certainly not by inter- governmental panels of 'climate scientists' and bureaucrats'. There are thousands of scientists that dissent and only one of them needs to be right. Our society is being constrained by Environmental Luddites who ironically are constraining innovation that would lead to a pollution free (monoxide not dioxide) and energy sovereign future. Stay away from the 'dark-side' Dooks , you worry me.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #328 on: February 02, 2017, 05:20:57 AM »
Being on the wrong side of science and history must be a bummer......and a waste of a life.
I wouldn't know. I don't waste my life on conspiracy websites.

It wasn't climate scientists claiming global warming had stopped and that we were about to go into a global cooling phase just before the last 3 years of record mean global temperatures ... oops! :lol Too bad, the empirical evidence and trends continue to show AGW.

A real scientist would never use a apathetic Abbott-like phrase such as "climate fluctuates. So what!". A scientist wants to understand how our climate system works? What are the underlying causes and phenomena? What's our climate's history? How does the current climate compare to past climate? Are the causes/phenomena the same or different to the past? What do climate trends mean in terms of future climate?, etc ...

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com