Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 457815 times)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #2205 on: September 03, 2014, 07:20:59 PM »
If he only got five possessions per game but kicked them 100 metres on average each would that be OK?

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2206 on: September 03, 2014, 07:32:01 PM »
If he only got five possessions per game but kicked them 100 metres on average each would that be OK?
if they were forward of the centre and accurate, a resounding yes!!!!! ;D
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2207 on: September 03, 2014, 09:12:32 PM »
Griff is also pretty stuffing accurate, we just need to get the ball to him more, bring him into the game a bit more.  At the moment he has been trying to win a lot of his own like a midfielder, and has been positively mugged by defenders in the last few games, which is good.  It tells us they know he is the real deal and is going have to start dealing with it, freeing up other forwards to pull the marks down.  This bloke is awesome, there isn't even a debate to be had, he is plucking marks, taking two defenders, moving round the map like a dirt bike and sending cruise missile in to advantage, what isn't to like?
Ask big tone and claw. Both want to trade him!
He is a highlight reel at the moment. A few good things a game. Then goes missing for massive chucks of the game. Not even Y&BB could disagree with that.
He has had 3 tackles in 20 quarters of footy since he has come back in. Not great however you try and spin that.
I'd trade him for any pick under 20 especially in this draft when you could pick up a gem at any pick in the first 20.
A few long kicks and a few big marks haven't changed my opinion of him yet.
Let's hope he isn't the one to let us down this week.
I'd only trade him for a top 15 pick.
I agree that he needs to get the ball more but he'll never be a high possession guy.  If he can average 15 possessions a game he will be an excellent player for us.  I guess I look at it like this. One 65m kick from him is worth more than 6 back and forth handballs. Yet those handballs give a player an inflated possession count. One game saving pack mark is worth 10+ marks that are obtained from short chip kicks in the backline. So you see, stats don't tell us the whole story.
3 tackles in 20 quarters tells me a pretty telling story.
Maybe he should take up punting in the US. That would be perfect for him. Sit on his arse for massive chunks of the game then get up and kick it a long way. And 99% of the time he doesn't have to touch anyone.  :lol perfect!!
It looks like we don't agree on this one, but I hope you are right, the RFC need it.  :gotigers

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2208 on: September 03, 2014, 09:25:01 PM »
Griff is also pretty stuffing accurate, we just need to get the ball to him more, bring him into the game a bit more.  At the moment he has been trying to win a lot of his own like a midfielder, and has been positively mugged by defenders in the last few games, which is good.  It tells us they know he is the real deal and is going have to start dealing with it, freeing up other forwards to pull the marks down.  This bloke is awesome, there isn't even a debate to be had, he is plucking marks, taking two defenders, moving round the map like a dirt bike and sending cruise missile in to advantage, what isn't to like?
He is a highlight reel at the moment. A few good things a game. Then goes missing for massive chucks of the game. Not even Y&BB could disagree with that.
He has had 3 tackles in 20 quarters of footy since he has come back in. Not great however you try and spin that.
I'd trade him for any pick under 20 especially in this draft when you could pick up a gem at any pick in the first 20.
I agree that he needs to get the ball more but he'll never be a high possession guy.  If he can average 15 possessions a game he will be an excellent player for us.  I guess I look at it like this. One 65m kick from him is worth more than 6 back and forth handballs. Yet those handballs give a player an inflated possession count. One game saving pack mark is worth 10+ marks that are obtained from short chip kicks in the backline. So you see, stats don't tell us the whole story.
Maybe he should take up punting in the US. That would be perfect for him. Sit on his arse for massive chunks of the game then get up and kick it a long way. And 99% of the time he doesn't have to touch anyone.  :lol perfect!!
It looks like we don't agree on this one, but I hope you are right, the RFC need it.  :gotigers
Maybe you could do me a favour bt. Find out the average tackle count of 200cm+ players in the league and compare it to Griffs.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #2209 on: September 03, 2014, 09:27:15 PM »
And make it KPP's not ruckman.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2210 on: September 03, 2014, 09:51:17 PM »
Maybe you could do me a favour bt. Find out the average tackle count of 200cm+ players in the league and compare it to Griffs.
Nick Nat- 26 tackles in his last 20 quarters. Griff must work harder when he hasn't got the footy and that's a LOT.
Anything else you need while I'm handing out favours?

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #2211 on: September 03, 2014, 09:52:33 PM »
It's not apples and apples for mine, ruckman have more tackles than most big men cause they are around repeat stoppages often.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2212 on: September 03, 2014, 10:03:11 PM »
Nick Nat- 26 tackles in his last 20 quarters. Griff must work harder when he hasn't got the footy and that's a LOT.
Nic Nat is not a KPP. You could only come up with one example?

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #2213 on: September 03, 2014, 10:05:12 PM »

Cos Nic Nat has been as starved of opportunity as Griff.....

Would be fairer to compare nat to Vivkery
Caracella and Balmey.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2214 on: September 03, 2014, 10:28:44 PM »
I'll help you then...
Ben Griffiths average tackle count 2014: 2.9
Vickery : 2.2
Taylor Walker: 1.6
Lachie Henderson: 1.9
Jake Carlisle: 2.0
Joe Daniher: 1.3
Cloke: 1.7
Jesse White: 2.1
Aaron Black: 2.0
Drew Petrie 2.6
Schultz: 2.4
David Hale: 2.2
Kurt Tippett: 1.0

In fact the only KPPs that have a higher average tackle count in 2014 is Josh Kennedy from the eagles with 3.1, Lance Franklin with 3.2 and Jarryd Roughhead with 3.0!!!!  And none of them are that far ahead either...

SO THESE ARE THE FACTS.  YOU CANNOT SAY GRIFF DOES NOT TACKLE ENOUGH!!!!!!

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #2215 on: September 03, 2014, 10:34:20 PM »
 :clapping

*gets popcorn
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2216 on: September 03, 2014, 11:05:32 PM »
I'll help you then...
Drew Petrie 2.6

In fact the only KPPs that have a higher average tackle count in 2014 is Josh Kennedy from the eagles with 3.1, Lance Franklin with 3.2 and Jarryd Roughhead with 3.0!!!!  And none of them are that far ahead either...

On one hand you want to compare him with KPF's when it suits you then when it doesn't he is a forward/ruckman.
10 of the players you mention are KPF's, is that what Biff is?
If so and you are comparing him to KPF, how many goals has he kicked this year? I'll tell you, 11. At .7 a game.
I bet you everyone on your list has a better goal average than Biff this year. Even young Joe. But I may be wrong??  :whistle

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2217 on: September 03, 2014, 11:09:45 PM »
I'll help you then...
Drew Petrie 2.6

Also writing in capital letters makes you look like a baby that's throwing a tantrum.  :sleep

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2218 on: September 04, 2014, 01:17:12 AM »
I'll help you then...
Drew Petrie 2.6

On one hand you want to compare him with KPF's when it suits you then when it doesn't he is a forward/ruckman.
10 of the players you mention are KPF's, is that what Biff is?
If so and you are comparing him to KPF, how many goals has he kicked this year? I'll tell you, 11. At .7 a game.
I bet you everyone on your list has a better goal average than Biff this year. Even young Joe. But I may be wrong??  :whistle
When I looked at rucks he was better than most as well! Nic Nat and Matthew Lobe were the two big exceptions.

Your argument was far more biassed and selective than mine.
You found games where he tackled less and then found just one player in the league that was better over that time.
Look just face it, you cannot say you were wrong with Ben. Look at 99% of the posters.  They share my view.
You are just waiting and hoping that he has a poor game to pounce. At 22 and 34 games that might be this week but he has shown enough to say that he is worth persevering with.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2219 on: September 04, 2014, 06:17:02 AM »
Griff  will tell you himself that he has  room for improvement as IMHO he has amazing ability, but isn't it great  that we are comparing him against multiple positions - how's he go against wingers

Hats off to him though, been playing some good footy lately.