Author Topic: Matt Dea [merged]  (Read 150123 times)

Jackstar is back again

Re: Matt Dea [merged]
« Reply #135 on: August 09, 2011, 08:54:18 PM »
Matt Dea...way to early in his fotball life to pass judgement

Perhaps Gigantor, what was it, his fourth game?

He only fluffed one of his 12 possies yesterday whilst never trying anything particularly bold so that's a positive. Defensive positioning can be coached. He can get fitter.

However, alarm bells, there are a couple of things that are already a huge cause for concern, willingness to put his body on the line is non existent, won't crash a pack, attempt to influence the contest, some bad signs there, these are things that you have to do if you aren't in the elite skills bracket, hope to see some dramatic improvement there!

Actually, come to think of it, I'm sick of gifting games to softies, I don't care how many games you've played. Look at first game players from other clubs, they would die for the cause! Putting your body on the line esp as a defender cannot all be left to the 'cannon fodder' such as McGuane. It should be mandatory for all 22 to make the commitment!

I have watched just about every VFL and pre season practice match Dea has played over the last 2 years and he is not soft. I think the opposite - his commitment to the contest is first rate. Reminds me of Duncan Kellaway in some ways.

I dare not say it but i will, another d.kellaway, thats all we need

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #136 on: August 09, 2011, 08:55:14 PM »
Matt Dea...way to early in his fotball life to pass judgement

Perhaps Gigantor, what was it, his fourth game?

He only fluffed one of his 12 possies yesterday whilst never trying anything particularly bold so that's a positive. Defensive positioning can be coached. He can get fitter.

However, alarm bells, there are a couple of things that are already a huge cause for concern, willingness to put his body on the line is non existent, won't crash a pack, attempt to influence the contest, some bad signs there, these are things that you have to do if you aren't in the elite skills bracket, hope to see some dramatic improvement there!

Actually, come to think of it, I'm sick of gifting games to softies, I don't care how many games you've played. Look at first game players from other clubs, they would die for the cause! Putting your body on the line esp as a defender cannot all be left to the 'cannon fodder' such as McGuane. It should be mandatory for all 22 to make the commitment!

I have watched just about every VFL and pre season practice match Dea has played over the last 2 years and he is not soft. I think the opposite - his commitment to the contest is first rate. Reminds me of Duncan Kellaway in some ways.

I respect your opinion, you have seen a lot more of him than I have, I do hope your right, I've only seen him at AFL level where his commitment to the contest has been below par.
Brad Helbig, on the other hand, appears willing and able to put his body on the line every time it's required, anyone can see the difference- at AFL level anyway..

thank you, huge difference between the 2.
helbig is miles ahead

Offline HKTiger

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #137 on: August 09, 2011, 08:59:13 PM »
You are aware that Brad is only 4 months younger than Matt and comes from a heavy footy background.  Similar picks (40'ish).  You'd hope that Brad is ahead but that Matt shows the potential to improve.

Do you have a clue ????

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #138 on: August 09, 2011, 09:04:29 PM »
You are aware that Brad is only 4 months younger than Matt and comes from a heavy footy background.  Similar picks (40'ish).  You'd hope that Brad is ahead but that Matt shows the potential to improve.

Do you have a clue ????

No I am fckin clueless ::)

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #139 on: August 09, 2011, 09:06:07 PM »

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #140 on: August 09, 2011, 09:08:44 PM »

Do you have a clue ????

Yeah fair enough on skill levels, polish, defensive positioning etc etc

But there are non negotiables as a defender and one of them is sacrificing your body to a contest. McGuane cops heaps on OER but I've never seen him shirk.

Let's be honest, Dea opted not to include himself in a couple of packs on Sunday- not to get front and square mind you-he did not want to get involved at all. He thought McGuane or Thursty might do it for him.

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #141 on: August 09, 2011, 09:09:03 PM »
i must be clueless,
debating with internet nuffers ::) ::)
Bingo ! :rollin :rollin :rollin

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #142 on: August 09, 2011, 09:11:18 PM »
You are aware that Brad is only 4 months younger than Matt and comes from a heavy footy background.  Similar picks (40'ish).  You'd hope that Brad is ahead but that Matt shows the potential to improve.

Do you have a clue ????

But there are non negotiables as a defender and one of them is sacrificing your body to a contest. McGuane cops heaps on OER but I've never seen him shirk.

Let's be honest, Dea opted not to include himself in a couple of packs on Sunday- not to get front and square mind you-he did not want to get involved at all. He thought McGuane or Thursty might do it for him.

he did the same at Coburg the previous week and gets a game with richmond the next, work that out.
Glad to see that some actually watch the game
well done D.Crane

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #143 on: August 09, 2011, 09:15:17 PM »

Do you have a clue ????

He's been employed be several AFL clubs so I think he'd have some sort of idea, HKTugboat.

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #144 on: August 09, 2011, 09:20:03 PM »
Nah, I am clueless
I am a simpleton
I tell myself I can only get better as I am starting from very low base.
I keep telling myself , i want to reach the heights of the highly intelligent posters on OER.
Please god, grant me this wish. ;) ::)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #145 on: August 09, 2011, 09:24:56 PM »
I wish I could judge football and tall defenders as well as HKTiger. :(

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #146 on: August 09, 2011, 09:35:13 PM »
oh yeah, i forgot to mention , this is supposed to be elite football.
Not picking players in hope they will improve
Thats the major downfall at Punt Rd, has been for 25 years

Offline antay

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #147 on: August 09, 2011, 09:36:02 PM »
Nah, I am clueless
I am a simpleton
I tell myself I can only get better as I am starting from very low base.
I keep telling myself , i want to reach the heights of the highly intelligent posters on OER.
Please god, grant me this wish. ;) ::)

Nah, you're far from clueless. I find most of your posts amusing ... bitter and twisted but amusing.
You're an extremist. You should be the leader of a sect.

Offline HKTiger

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #148 on: August 09, 2011, 09:39:01 PM »
I wish I could judge football and tall defenders as well as HKTiger. :(

Yeah he's had a poor season.  Time might be running out for him.  He does seem lost at the moment.

I'll hold out hope.  But I'm sure you knew that anyway.

Offline HKTiger

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #149 on: August 09, 2011, 09:41:20 PM »

Do you have a clue ????

I missed that.  One of the big wraps on Matt to date has been that he will go hard for the ball.  I hope it's just 1st game back nerves.  Time will tell I'm sure.