Author Topic: Not every Kid in the draft is over 80kgs.  (Read 2343 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Not every Kid in the draft is over 80kgs.
« on: November 27, 2009, 12:50:45 AM »
I'm sick of reading it.

It's called Pre Season and an AFL diet.

Just cause Shane Edwards has taken multiple seasons to bulk up doesn't mean it will happen to everyone. Brendon Goddard by memory weighed about 80kgs when he was drafted as a 185cm midfielder at pick 1. In his 2nd Pre Season he put on 10 kgs.

We can't draft a slab of meat axes.

For mine we've done well, drafted players who can kick the ball. We wont have to put up with them getting games and looking horrible with the footy. Never under estimate a good shoe.
Go Tigers!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Not every Kid in the draft is over 80kgs.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 01:11:10 AM »
I think people are more critical especially in the past of us drafting small 70kg skinny kids who don't have the frame to put on 10kgs and so they will never have the physical presence to last in AFL. They'll be too easily pushed aside by bigger stronger bodies. Apart from Nason that's not an issue this time around IMV. Astbury will need a couple of years in the gym but he's tall so he should have the frame to put on another 10kgs.

3. Dustin Martin         (Vic, 18, 186cm, 88kg)
19. Ben Griffiths         (Vic, 18, 199cm, 98kg)
35. David Astbury        (Vic, 18, 195cm, 81kg)
44. Matt Dea               (Vic, 18, 186cm, 83kg)
51. Troy Taylor             (NT, 18, 189cm, 77kg)
67. Jeromey Webberley (Tas, 21, 181cm, 78 kg)
71. Ben Nason             (SA, 20, 179cm, 73 kg)

I always had the view that the last two digits of your height should be close to your weight to play AFL and the minimum height is around 180cm unless you have exceptional pace like a Rioli. 4 of the above already fit that criteria.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 01:20:18 AM »
Well personally I am wrapped with is years draft, it pees all over the Patto, JON, Edwards and co draft, with the exception of Lids and Tambo of course.

Can't wait to hear the reports from training on how these guys are going, I think we will be pleasantly surprised.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 10:35:05 AM »
YEah give em a go sheesh only been tigers for five minutes, let em eat dinner at least lol.  That will pack a bit of weight on em.  Seriously though, when your young and you play a lot of sport, your metabolism is in overdrive, if you already have a fast metabolism, you are gonna be a bit thinner.   They will be right once they are given their programs.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Not every Kid in the draft is over 80 kgs.
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 04:52:16 PM »
3 of the top 10 weigh under 80 kgs.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Not every Kid in the draft is over 80 kgs.
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 05:09:29 PM »
3 of the top 10 weigh under 80 kgs.

9 out of the top 20.

jackstar is back again

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 06:13:35 PM »
You are all missing the point

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 06:15:34 PM »
You are all missing the point

What is the point Jack?

jackstar is back again

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 07:08:54 PM »

we have 2 expectional players who have terrific core strength and centre of gravity ( Cotchin and Cousins ) the rest get blown away .
We have way too many lightweights at Punt Road.
Edwards
Tambling
Nahas
White
McMahon.

McMahon, Tambling and Edwards shouldnt be played as rebounders off half back,
the interchange bench is big enough to hide them all.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 08:32:26 PM »

we have 2 expectional players who have terrific core strength and centre of gravity ( Cotchin and Cousins ) the rest get blown away .
We have way too many lightweights at Punt Road.
Edwards
Tambling
Nahas
White
McMahon.

McMahon, Tambling and Edwards shouldnt be played as rebounders off half back,
the interchange bench is big enough to hide them all.

Thats a list of only 5 and White, well he has a relatively strong physique!Nahas plays above his weight and Tambo is quick as lightning and to put weight in him would be counter productive! The weight issue regarding the draftees is no brainer, they will put on bulk! It was a skinny draft, pardon the pun, we all knew it and therefore it was a given that we would recruit kids that may be just a little speculative. Lets give them a go, its not their fault they were draffted!

Tigermonk

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 10:48:26 PM »
I think people are more critical especially in the past of us drafting small 70kg skinny kids who don't have the frame to put on 10kgs and so they will never have the physical presence to last in AFL. They'll be too easily pushed aside by bigger stronger bodies. Apart from Nason that's not an issue this time around IMV. Astbury will need a couple of years in the gym but he's tall so he should have the frame to put on another 10kgs.

3. Dustin Martin         (Vic, 18, 186cm, 88kg)
19. Ben Griffiths         (Vic, 18, 199cm, 98kg)
35. David Astbury        (Vic, 18, 195cm, 81kg)
44. Matt Dea               (Vic, 18, 186cm, 83kg)
51. Troy Taylor             (NT, 18, 189cm, 77kg)
67. Jeromey Webberley (Tas, 21, 181cm, 78 kg)
71. Ben Nason             (SA, 20, 179cm, 73 kg)

I always had the view that the last two digits of your height should be close to your weight to play AFL and the minimum height is around 180cm unless you have exceptional pace like a Rioli. 4 of the above already fit that criteria.

:clapping :clapping :clapping

Tigermonk

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 10:55:19 PM »
I'm sick of reading it.

Just cause Shane Edwards has taken multiple seasons to bulk up doesn't mean it will happen to everyone. Brendon Goddard by memory weighed about 80kgs when he was drafted as a 185cm midfielder at pick 1. In his 2nd Pre Season he put on 10 kgs.

For mine we've done well, drafted players who can kick the ball. We wont have to put up with them getting games and looking horrible with the footy. Never under estimate a good shoe.

Goddard had the body of a AFL player before he was drafted.
He is a true professional

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 09:42:11 AM »
I'm sick of reading it.

He also went to Caufield Grammar where he would have access to excellent facilities and advice.  Keep in mind some of these blokes live in the bush or in the middle of nowhere and don't get the same access as others or 'groomed', they all have different backgrounds and situations. Cut em some bloody slack imo, they just got here.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 09:45:50 AM »
I'm sick of reading it.

Incorrect. He was under 80 kgs and at 185cms.
Go Tigers!

Tigermonk

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 12:04:20 PM »
I'm sick of reading it.

He also went to Caufield Grammar where he would have access to excellent facilities and advice.  Keep in mind some of these blokes live in the bush or in the middle of nowhere and don't get the same access as others or 'groomed', they all have different backgrounds and situations. Cut em some bloody slack imo, they just got here.

Thats right he played most of his footy for Caufield & played only a few games at Gippsland Power
Popelord as l said he had a AFL footballers body before he was drafted.