Author Topic: 2010 Rising Star Award [merged]  (Read 12539 times)

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: About time Martin got his Rising Star nomination
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2010, 10:46:05 PM »
Okay he can't win it the Rising Star Award but now we've won a game surely it's time Dusty was at least finally nominated. Sheesh what else does he have to do - 17 possies, 15 contested and 10 clearances. They're not token first year stats, that's sheer quality.
I agree MT, even in first year he has outshone the likes natanui imo! His season has been similar to D.Rich last season minus the wins!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2010, 10:51:35 PM »
The bloke from Melbourne who got 26 on debut is a chance this week :banghead
Gysberts or whatever
Yeah it wouldn't be surprising if Gysberts gets nominated this week despite the Dees being pumped but Martin has been been producing AFL midfielder stats for 10 rounds not just one week and was one of the key players in our win today.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2010, 10:54:51 PM »
I couldn't care less.

If I was coach I would publicly say that I didn't want any of my first year players being nominated for the rising star. It's not an individual game and to hammer home the message that it is a team game in year on is paramount. Martin is doing great for us and the respect of his teammates and the supporters should be all that matters.

Offline Siberian

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2010, 10:57:33 PM »
Would be no surprise at all
Maybe the MRP could find something to give him a week for, or Hardwickwick's assault charges will see him in adelaide lock up until October, not that I'm jaded at all

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2010, 12:27:22 AM »
As far as I'm concerned right now if Dustin got no nomination for the year that would suit me fine.

In 3-4 years when Martin will be killing it week in and week out in a much stronger unit hopefully pushing for

finals and much more greater honours it will show what a farce some of these nominations actually are that a

kid who got taken at 3 and had an extremely consistent season couldn't get one yet as soon as Natanui,

Trengove, Scully and others from more favourably media supported clubs get all the attention. I would love to

see Dustin remind them then. Will add another mystique to the kid's reputation. :thumbsup

Ox

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2010, 12:46:57 AM »
Cuz said he's as good as juddy was at that age

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2010, 09:55:40 AM »
As far as I'm concerned right now if Dustin got no nomination for the year that would suit me fine.

In 3-4 years when Martin will be killing it week in and week out in a much stronger unit hopefully pushing for

finals and much more greater honours it will show what a farce some of these nominations actually are that a

kid who got taken at 3 and had an extremely consistent season couldn't get one yet as soon as Natanui,

Trengove, Scully and others from more favourably media supported clubs get all the attention. I would love to

see Dustin remind them then. Will add another mystique to the kid's reputation. :thumbsup

Yep, agree Tucker.  And I doubt that he will get a nomination given that he is ineligible to win it - not that it should matter but I just reckon it might.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2010, 10:00:09 AM »

love to see some stats cos i agree, he is even better at that age than ablett and selwood

and he kicks the ball on his left better than selwood judd and ablett combined

martin will become the no1 mid/onballer in the country and he is a unit, breaks away from tackles ala voss and he is only 18

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2010, 12:29:34 PM »

love to see some stats cos i agree, he is even better at that age than ablett and selwood

martin will become the no1 mid/onballer in the country and he is a unit, breaks away from tackles ala voss and he is only 18

That's what I am seeing too X.

I'm getting excited about having Deledio, Cotchin, Foley and him there in the middle. It might rarely happen that they are all there together, but they all offer something different that will be elite by league standards. Cotchin just great hands and footy smarts, Martin tough as nails, Deledio's skill level. We just need Foley to really become that Luke Ball of old style terrier around the stoppages and up his tackle count by one or two a game and Tambling to kick on (pressure is off him a little now) and we'll have a fantastic on-ball rotation unit.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2010, 03:27:02 PM »

Cotchin = Ablett

Martin = Riccito/Buckley

Deledio = Kouta

Riewoldt = Lance Whitnal  ;D

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2010, 05:56:04 PM »

Yep, agree Tucker.  And I doubt that he will get a nomination given that he is ineligible to win it - not that it should matter but I just reckon it might.
I heard the other day he was still eligible and he was third favourite. Anyone know for sure?

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2010, 05:59:28 PM »
I saw the market the other day for the Rising Star and he was listed at $6.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2010, 06:38:24 PM »
I thought his report earlier in the season disqualified him, even though he pleaded guilty and took the reduction that meant he didn't miss a game.  I might be wrong - anyone know how this one plays out?  All I could find on the AFL site was this:

To qualify for the NAB AFL Rising Star nomination, a player must be under 21 years of age as at January 1 of that year, must not have played more than 10 games to the start of that season and must not have been suspended by the AFL or State League tribunals during the season.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2010, 06:47:28 PM »
I thought his report earlier in the season disqualified him, even though he pleaded guilty and took the reduction that meant he didn't miss a game.  I might be wrong - anyone know how this one plays out?  All I could find on the AFL site was this:

To qualify for the NAB AFL Rising Star nomination, a player must be under 21 years of age as at January 1 of that year, must not have played more than 10 games to the start of that season and must not have been suspended by the AFL or State League tribunals during the season.

I think we went through this a while back and you were right then Smokey, as long as the Brownlow and Rising star use the same rules.

The AFL rule is that it is the initial points and if they are > 100 that is the issue, not what the resulting points based on an early plea or a players past record.

This works both ways - i.e. if a players with a good record gets charged with a 125 point offence and in consideration of past record and an early plea it is reduced to 93.75 he is not eligible.

Hypothetically, if a player with a poor record does something minor < 100 points and still gets suspended, they are eligible.

IIRC Goodes in 2007 got a 125 point offence down to 93.75 but was ineligible for the Brownlow

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2010, 07:56:12 PM »
going by that smokey he is eligible. He was not suspended. You'd hope the AFL could get right their own site.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI