Author Topic: Terry's Coaching Panel from the RFC site  (Read 1075 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Terry's Coaching Panel from the RFC site
« on: November 08, 2004, 02:18:26 PM »
Tigers assemble a strong coaching team
11:17:41 AM Mon 8 November, 2004
Richmond coach Terry Wallace
richmondfc.com.au

I’m really pleased that we’ve now finalised our coaching panel at Tigerland for the 2005 season and have such a good blend of experience, freshness and premiership success.

The first step when I took on the Club’s senior coaching job was identifying what was here already, and what I was going to work with. That’s where David Wheadon came into play . . .

David’s going to play a far stronger role in the coaching area than what he has over the past 12 months, where he was primarily used as an opposition analyst.

I wanted him back teaching because that’s where his real strength lies. He’s got plenty of experience, he’s been at several top-level clubs, and he’s had success with those clubs.

David has, in fact, coached quite a few of the senior coaches who are actually now in the system through the AFL Coaches’ Association connection, and he’ll be a valuable member of our coaching group.

The next step was to get some more coaching experience into the place – and that’s why Brian Royal became a key part of the equation.

Having worked closely with Brian at the Western Bulldogs, I’d say he is my main lieutenant. His knowledge of the game is outstanding and I firmly believe that he should be coaching at senior league level – that’s how capable he is. He’s been an assistant coach in AFL football for quite a few years now, working at the Bulldogs, Melbourne and Kangaroos, before joining us here at Richmond.

I think the fact Brian’s been involved with several different league clubs is a real plus because it enables him to have such a broad outlook on a variety of football issues. He’s got a very strong knowledge of what works in all areas, and he’s an excellent skill-based training coach.

Having bolstered the experience component of the Tigers’ coaching panel, I then thought we needed some youth and people who’d been at successful league footy clubs. Enter dual Kangaroos premiership player David King . . .

David’s role will be essential for the fact that he’s the modern link with our playing group, having just retired at the end of the 2004 season after an illustrious career. He’s also a very vibrant sort of person and his bubbly nature will add a fair bit to the group.

I envisage him working very closely with the older, senior players, as well as the young boys on the list, whereas David Wheadon and Brian Royal will work more with the ‘midstream’ guys.

Why I see David King working with the two ends of our playing list is that he’s got so much to offer both. When it comes to the leadership group, David comes into his own because he played with such inspirational leaders at the Kangaroos – the likes of Carey, Stevens, Archer and Simpson. I think that knowledge of what they did, and how they handled themselves in tough situations, will really help our seasoned campaigners.

But I also believe David will be of considerable benefit to the young players at Tigerland, in terms of the expectations at a quality footy club, and how to achieve sustained success.

Steve Alessio, who has joined us in a part-time capacity as ruck coach, is just a fantastic football person. He’s a really good, strong character and also comes from a very successful club at Essendon. I’m sure he’ll have quite an impact in his role with us, which will be looking after our big men – not only ruck coaching – but working on marking techniques and all the other facets of a big player’s game.

The great thing about Steve is that he’s still young enough to get out there at training and show them how it’s done – and that’s a real bonus. He probably wasn’t a naturally-gifted player throughout his career with the Bombers, but I don’t mind that because he had to work hard – and smart – to be able to get the best out of himself.

Put him with some big blokes who have got some genuine ability, get his footy smarts into that genuine ability, and you’re going places . . .

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=176969
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 02:22:46 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)