Author Topic: Round 1 sides 2005 - 2010  (Read 2645 times)

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Round 1 sides 2005 - 2010
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 09:06:03 PM »
i don't think McMahon will play round 1!

:)

Why?? Has he been going that bad in the pre-season?? Honestly how do we know Hardwick hasn't been training him out of another position??

I dont think we (any of us) can pick who and who won't be playing in the NAB Cup or round one, but it's great trying.. :thumbsup

Who knows McMahon may end up a Champion, gee I would love that, that would kill sooooo many people wouldn't it.. :lol

ROTFLOL It'd give half the One Eyed crowd heart attacks! ME included.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 09:18:17 PM »
How certain senior players are handled this year is going to be interesting. If Hardwick doesn't see the likes of Jordie and Kingy as part of our future they may spend most of his time at Coburg. On the other hand they may be used as "cannonfodder" in a losing side this year while the cubs are allowed to develop in their own time.

You know that raises the question should you use players as cannon fodder or should you throw your kids to the wolves?

It probably depends on the individual players nature, extrovert versus introvert, hot head versus cool thinker.  But If I had to weight my selections one way I'd throw the kids to the wolves more than less.  I think toughness is found during important games and the sooner we find the kids who can be tough to build the core team the better.  Denis Pagan used to say Footy doesn't build character it weeds out those who don't have it.

I admit that's a bit of a simplistic view, I doubt Paul Roos would think in those terms.  He would be more of a Footy Players are elite athletes and are trained to do the correct actions at the correct times.  The better your training the better the result.  Even to the point of peaking at the correct time of the season.

Still I choose a throw to the wolves leaning when your rebuilding your list.

What about others?

Are you are "Throw to the wolves" or a "play the cannon fodder" armchair admiral?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 10:42:57 PM »
Still I choose a throw to the wolves leaning when your rebuilding your list.

What about others?

Are you are "Throw to the wolves" or a "play the cannon fodder" armchair admiral?
I think it depends on the individual kid and as coach the job you want the kid to do. Run-with roles for young mids whose bodytype can handle the hits are perfectly fine and good for their footy education whereas it's harder if the youngster is lacking size especially in KPs. As much as I'm a fan of Vickery I don't think we can expect him to waltz in and take over the No.1 ruck role full-time yet. In fact we'd probably put his long-term career at jeopardy given the risk of injury smashing into opponents 100kgs+ for 4 quarters 22 weeks straight as a beanpole teenager.

So in the case of Jordie and Kingy I'd go with a new kid in preference as smalls are easier to find. You'd think as we head into the second half of the year we'd go more and more with cubs who are part of our future. Simmo on the other hand I can see why they kept him if he can stay injury-free and remain on the park. Basically he is cannon-fodder. We obviously would've like Richo to go around for one more year as well but it wasn't meant to be  :( so we are forced to make do up forward. Hopefully Jack, Postie and Vickery can carry us through. I won't counted Griffiths as we don't know fully where he is at and after all this will be his first year so we'd be foolish to expect too much from him.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 12:27:23 AM »
i don't think McMahon will play round 1!

:)

Why?? Has he been going that bad in the pre-season?? Honestly how do we know Hardwick hasn't been training him out of another position??

I dont think we (any of us) can pick who and who won't be playing in the NAB Cup or round one, but it's great trying.. :thumbsup

Who knows McMahon may end up a Champion, gee I would love that, that would kill sooooo many people wouldn't it.. :lol

the day Mclovin becomes a player let alone a champion is the day i walk Moi down the alter

Can I be the wedding planner then.... :thumbsup
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 12:37:30 AM »
Too much (griffiths) fair enough but surely the way he is going at the moment we should expect something. What did he get, 3rd or 4th around the Tan and he has been training well from all reports. He was also pick 19 as was old mate from the Dogs that we apparently missed out on. I know what people will say to that last comment but I am sure players drafted after Griffiths will play this year and impact for their clubs, if he is fit and up to it play him and lets see the impact he has.

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 05:54:34 PM »
So do we think we will have to contend with Murphy come round 1??? If he plays surely he will be underdone, very unfortunate actually, we still should beat them at full strength IMO..

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/marc-murphy-to-have-hip-surgery/story-e6frf9io-1225818522207

"Rucks: