Author Topic: Champion Data rates Richmond's list as 10th best ........... (Herald-Sun)  (Read 7620 times)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Re: Champion Data rates Richmond's list as 10th best ........... (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2012, 09:51:32 PM »
thats precisely what i said, youve barely seen him play in last couple of years, he s 10 times the player he was when he was drafted and had obvious flaws judging overhead...improved to a point he s taken more marks than any other FB in the comp...perhaps you should watch his 2012 tapes rather than U14s :lol
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

tony_montana

« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2012, 09:56:05 PM »
Rance is still young, his body on body work needs improvement but hes improved at it a lot the last couple of years and come from a long way back. Hes still only 22-23, another preseason or 2 and he'll be primed to hold his own against most KF's. Not sure why ppl are so eager to point out how deficient he is in the area, he's been punching above his weight and is the best we've had the past few years to play that role. Cut him some slack and dont be so eger to point out hes a gumby

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2012, 10:15:03 PM »
TM, he had some real flaws in his game early on, and I gotta say id practically written him off, thinking all he had was courage. His composure and judgement in the air has improved markedly and for a defender , gee its up there. TBH my only knock on him is he can still look to bite off a bit more than he can chew at times, but being a more attacking defender you'll prob get that, Morris is in same boat. Chappy will prob be a good compliment as i dont expect he will be in same mould as these two

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2012, 02:21:23 AM »
Shouldn't be playing fullback. Not a knock on him but as you girls pointed out, his sloppy one on one and deep, but a good rebounder. His strengths and weaknesses don't equate to a FB for me.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2012, 08:01:53 AM »
I dont think he s sloppy one on one, that many times i recall him getting a timely fist when FF was on the lead and he has hands like a steel trap...i dont reckon there d be a defender in the league that took more marks.not too mention his contested.possie ...so far so good for a kpp ::)

tony_montana

« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2012, 08:59:47 AM »
He is a fullback, all you blokes saying he isn't have missed how easily he gets turned inside out and taken under the ball. As a CHB or floating HB he would get mauled, also gets lost in traffic, not worth the risk andhe still offers more rebound as a FB than any other FB so it's still a win in that regard.

He gets the best results when he's running in a straight line on the leading forwards hammer, his closing speed and ability to get a fist in is already at a very very good standard, just needs to improve his one on one work for when the ball gets bombed deep in the square, (btw this is magnified when Grimes isnt playing, as Grimes comes in 3rd man up and takes the heat off him)But dear lord, he would get mauled standing at CHB.

Ruanaidh

« Reply #111 on: December 21, 2012, 09:24:05 AM »
He is a fullback, all you blokes saying he isn't have missed how easily he gets turned inside out and taken under the ball. As a CHB or floating HB he would get mauled, also gets lost in traffic, not worth the risk andhe still offers more rebound as a FB than any other FB so it's still a win in that regard.

He gets the best results when he's running in a straight line on the leading forwards hammer, his closing speed and ability to get a fist in is already at a very very good standard, just needs to improve his one on one work for when the ball gets bombed deep in the square, (btw this is magnified when Grimes isnt playing, as Grimes comes in 3rd man up and takes the heat off him)But dear lord, he would get mauled standing at CHB.
I agree Tony. This is why we will persevere with the development of Griffiths at CHB. That and Griffs brilliant disposal by hand or foot.

gerkin greg

« Reply #112 on: December 21, 2012, 10:34:27 AM »
Not convinced where his best position is but IMO his best ever game for the club was at FB against Jono Brown in 2011. That was an epic display and showed on his day he has the class to give the best a bath. Consistency is the key, but as pointed out the kid has just turned 23, learned his trade of fullback of the century Will Thursfield and the great Luke McGuane, and gets stuff all assistance down there on a more than regular basis. Has his weaknesses but also has a lot of strengths and I can't see us finding an upgrade on him, these guys don't grow on trees.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2012, 02:47:48 PM »
I dont think he s sloppy one on one, that many times i recall him getting a timely fist when FF was on the lead and he has hands like a steel trap...i dont reckon there d be a defender in the league that took more marks.not too mention his contested.possie ...so far so good for a kpp ::)

Grimes averaged more marks ;)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2013, 12:12:10 PM »
im with coach the one area he should be excellent at hes poo. constantly misjudges the ball in the air. constantly falls over. constantly forced out of position by stronger opponents.
id take a bloke like glass everyday of the week in fact if rance showed just a few of glasses traits in the most important area of being a f/b id defend him. shocking f/b.

Perhaps if you saw him play more than once a year, you may be a little more objective  :lol
lol. prety poor come back. ive seen plenty of rance evry yr.  id say i saw more of him as a junior than anyone on this forum.

first and foremost lets get this straight i wanted us to take rance where we did i thought he would go earlier. i assumed he would not be there and wanted to use 18 on pears and 19 on collier when rance slipped that changed of course we went and traded pick 19 away we also traded out of pick 35 so at pick 51 i wanted cale hooker. theres a little background for you. in fact in 06 i wanted eric mckenzie with the pick we used on shane edwards tall defenders were a priority at the time imo. we didnt take a defender in 06 so 07 became an important yr to get a few.

its only since we have had him that a few pennys have dropped in regards to his strengths and weaknesses.
was always a very good rebounding defender. loved the way he moved and only had a small question over his skills. he seemed to shank  a fair few at full tilt. but looking back even then  he ws never a good player in the air.  i thought it was something that was more about the way he played than anything else.

since hes been with us i have every yr complained about him playing at f/b. every yr the same complaints come up. poor judge of the ball in the air,  falls over is not good one on one. is caught out of position far too often etc.  these are key traits of your f/b of any f/b worth his salt and rance just fails in these areas.
without a doubt he is more suited to a rebounding role its always been the case but as a rebounder i do have to question his hurt factor with ball in hand.

as i said i agree with coach on this what he has said is pretty spot on. i also agree about presti he was a very good stopping defender i would take him over rance anyday based on player strengths and weaknesses to perform the role.

Claw, it's pointless arguing with someone who thinks any bloke the club drafts is a prodigy or a hidden gem that should have somehow gone in the first round. I mean seriously, Bojangles said the club fired Wallace because they read BJ's comments on here. He has no grip on reality and that's the way he likes it. Fair play to him as he is obviously enjoying living in his fantasy world. A world where "Rancer" is better than AA KPDs. There's no winning this argument.