Author Topic: Cotchin's top role at Tigers 'too soon' (Age)  (Read 2403 times)

TigerTimeII

Re: Cotchin's top role at Tigers 'too soon' (Age)
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 11:31:19 AM »
i have always said kb was carried by a very good team in a very good era
overrated player protected by all the tough men we had
he was a class one cheat as a player, and ppl get pooty with divers now, he played for more frees than anyone in the history of the game.

and now, he stll suffers from lil mans syndrome and comes out with this bs

cotchin is a born leader and has a head on his shoulders beyond his yrs

kb f off

cant agree with any of this.

KB the footballer busted his ass for the tigers, was an absolute champion footballer played 400 games and spilt blood for us.

He was good enough to exploit the rules and even get them changed. Very rare indeed.

But that was then and this is now. He is a paid media personality, his wage is determined by his ratings. Everything he says on radio relates to that end.

Cotch was voted into the leadership group by his peers. T

End thread.

end thread pigs arse who are u god?
im not asking u to agree, u have ur opinion, i have mine, btw, i never once saw kb spill blood, at the first sign of danger, kb ran and hid. he was protected by our monsters.

so his cheating u call ecploiyting rules, yet lloyd never exploited the rules was just a cheating diver right lol, double standards

no need to end a thread just bec ur opinion differs to another....grow up

Offline HD

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 04:04:03 PM »
I think KB is looking at this completely the wrong way.

Cotch is not a leader of our club....YET. Obviously they've identified qualities in him they want in the future leaders of our playing group and I see it as a way of nurturing those qualities while he is coming through as a player. Giving insight into how the current leaders operate and what is needed of them.

That's how I see it anyway, I could be completely wrong  :)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 04:18:41 PM »
I think there is a difference playing for a free kick and diving.
Playing for a free kick is when your actions cause the opponent to foul you, which KB was a master at, as was baldock before him. Diving is taking an action in an attempt to convince the umpire there was a free when there was none or highlighting a minor infringement that the umpire may have missed otherwise.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Trent taking a Tiger by the tail (Inside Football)
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 09:42:33 AM »
Trent taking a Tiger by the tail
By Nathan Burke
Inside Football

When you have a young team, like Richmond, you may also need young leaders.

LAST week I followed the debate regarding Trent Cotchin and his extended tenure with the Tigers.

Not for the reason that he has had his contract extended for another three years despite being only 19 years old and having played two relatively injury plagued seasons.

The extension is Richmond’s prerogative and if they feel he is the right man to contract long term then good on them.

Certainly from the glimpses I have seen, he is a very exciting young player.

The interesting part of the Cotchin debate, however, involved his elevation to the Tigers’ leadership group.

On talkback radio this was scrutinised and in some cases criticised heavily.

Ex Tiger champ Kevin Bartlett is one in the negative corner who questioned whether Cotchin at 19 had the necessary life experience behind him to be a leader of men.

Would he be able to deal with the complexities thrown his way as a member of the leadership team?

Nowadays the leadership groups are given enormous responsibilities within football clubs. They must deal with players who publicly break society’s rules and face having their actions publicly scrutinised both prior and after the incident and judgment.

Could 19-year-olds be mature and responsible enough to deal with these sorts of complexities?

Are they worldly enough to weigh up the interests of the club, the sponsor, the league and the concerns of the wider society when determining punishment for their peer’s discretions?

The answer is not as simple as yes or no.

While the answer for the vast majority of 19-years-olds is no, they couldn’t handle such responsibility, there are rare individuals where the answer would be a qualified yes.

The qualification is that they are part of a leadership group – with group being the operative word.

I believe that given the right support and guidance there are rare individuals who can not only handle the environment but make considerable contributions along the way.

Now, I have never met Trent Cotchin so none of this is based on him, just his predicament.

He may be one of the few who can thrive under the responsibility and he may not.

I’m sure Richmond thinks he is, otherwise would not have made the decision it has.

What would the Tigers gain from throwing a player they are expecting to be part of their future under a bus?

And we have to understand that nobody knows the capabilities of a player like the coach and his team-mates. If they think he is ready, then who are we to argue?

The fact is that there are many benefits to having a 19-year-old as a member of a club’s leadership group.

During my time at the Saints we were constantly searching for a player of such ability and maturity whom we could fast track through our leadership system.

The standout in my time was Nick Riewoldt, who at 19 displayed leadership abilities that put many old timers to shame.

I have no doubt that his fast tracking has played a part in the successful leadership he currently displays.

Young leaders play an enormous role in the culture and fortunes of a football club.

The main reason for this is their ability to engage the influential and impressionable young players.

No matter how good a champion senior player may be, he will still be out of touch with the young guys.

Quite frankly a 30-year-old with a wife and kids is as far removed from a 19-year-old as a grandfather is to his 15-year-old emo grandson.

The fashion, the culture, certainly the hairstyles, the music and the influencers of a 19-year-old can be worlds away from a senior player.

Because of this there is often an inability to be able to relate at any substantial level of depth.

Sure, an old guy can be friends and have a good relationship, even have an ability to inspire a young guy through magnificent exa0mples, however they will never be able to relate or lead at the intimate level that a person of similar age can.

Think of yourself as a parent of 16-year-old kids. What gives you more confidence; knowing that your son has a good teacher at his school who has your son’s best interest at heart or that your son’s best mate has his head screwed on straight and will not only keep your son on the right path but will show him which is the right path to take?

Which one would make you sleep safer at night when your son is venturing out to parties with his mates?

I believe the answer is the best mate who is wise and responsible. I hope my kids have one.

The mate who knows the kid intimately and understands what makes them tick is in the best position to influence when it counts.

And so it is with footballers.

Try as the senior players might, they are never fully able to relate to the new generation.

The end result is a tendency to lead by being “interesting” rather than being “interested”.

The distinction between the two is clear.

A leader who leads by being loud, outgoing and humorous with a high media profile is relying on others to find him interesting in order for them to follow the good example he sets on the training track.

Whereas a leader who is interested in the people he leads finds out what makes them tick, what drives them deep down, and uses that information to inspire.

He is far more effective than the hit-and-miss “aren’t I interesting?” guy.

This is where Cotchin’s value will lie for the Tigers.

Understanding how to deal with the rebel player and placating aggrieved sponsors will not be his role.

It will be to engage the next generation of Tigers, to be the guy who they can relate to – to show them the path that will take Richmond forward.

I don’t know Trent Cotchin but from the outside the decision by the Tigers could be a stroke of genius.

http://www.insidefootballonline.com/burke.html

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 09:50:03 AM »
Great article with genuine insight.
Thanks for posting it Cyclops. :thumbsup

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 08:00:16 PM »
Good article.
Nathan Burke has always had a soft spot for us growing up supporting the Tiges.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 08:15:05 PM »
makes a lot of sense.  :thumbsup

A leader who leads by being loud, outgoing and humorous with a high media profile is relying on others to find him interesting in order for them to follow the good example he sets on the training track.

Is he having a go at someone in particular here?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI