Author Topic: A possible shake up of the VFL (Age)  (Read 1664 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
A possible shake up of the VFL (Age)
« on: March 05, 2010, 03:58:53 AM »
New teams put VFL in the gun
JAKE NIALL
March 5, 2010

THE future of the VFL competition and potentially some of its clubs is up in the air for 2011, as the AFL considers a major revamp of the second tier of the game in the eastern states.

First option
the possible creation of an eastern seaboard competition - a de facto reserves competition for 14 of the eventual 18 clubs. Gold Coast and GWS and possibly Sydney and the Brisbane Lions would play their reserves in an expanded eastern seaboard competition, the remaining clubs coming from either AFL reserves (such as Geelong and Collingwood) or AFL-affiliated VFL clubs; it is unclear how stand-alone VFL clubs would fare in that revamped competition, which could have a different name. The VFL clubs depend heavily on support from their AFL club affiliations, but it is unclear how many would retain those affiliations - AFL clubs can field stand-alone reserves - in the new landscape created by the expansion.

Second option
a ''northern states league'' would be created in which Gold Coast, GWS, Brisbane and Sydney would field reserves teams and be joined by the strongest clubs from the ACT.

The third - and least radical, or minimalist option
an expansion of the Queensland state league, with Gold Coast fielding a reserves team in that league, where the Brisbane Lions have their seconds. In this third scenario, Sydney's reserves would remain in the ACT league, and would be joined in that Canberra-based league by a GWS reserves side, while the VFL would remain more or less in its present form - and a Victorian-only competition.

Full article at:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/new-teams-put-vfl-in-the-gun-20100304-plr8.html

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: A possible shake up of the VFL (Age)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 10:18:32 AM »
I quite like the first option, but with the condition that some of the stand alone VFL teams (ie Port Melbourne) are also able to join the competition. Given they are usually very competitive with more mature bodies, they should fare reasonably in this revamped comptetition which I believe would also increase revenue to the competition by having a higher profile.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 10:31:30 AM »
which I believe would also increase revenue to the competition by having a higher profile.

In the grand scale of things, how much would the revenue increase? Second tier leagues over this kind of expanse haven't fared well in any sport. I think the operating budget for clubs would need to be $400-500k when you consider travel, increased players wages (including compensation for extra time away), support staff etc. I know for a fact that the QSL state league soccer sides needed $250k. Would need a white knight sponsor or to be propped up by the AFL. Can't really see a Port Melbourne being able to get this much together.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 11:10:04 AM »
Fairly ignorant.

Port Melbourne has better assets than we do and millions in the bank. Finding cash will never be a problem for them in any revamped competition.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 01:32:02 PM »
Frankston would be in trouble though as they aren't in good shape.

I can't see the Eastern seaboard model working. The 4 interstate reserves sides would need to travel every second week. The AFL will be pumping enough money into GWS and GC17 senior sides to then also fork out interstate travel costs for reserves sides as well.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline HD

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 01:40:06 PM »

I can't see the Eastern seaboard model working. The 4 interstate reserves sides would need to travel every second week. The AFL will be pumping enough money into GWS and GC17 senior sides to then also fork out interstate travel costs for reserves sides as well.

Totally agree - why risk the (financial) viability and strength of our comp when we are trying to introduce 2 new teams. If they want to improve the reserve grade competition they could spend that money bolstering the individual QLD, NSW and Vic comps (and the SA/WA/NT ones as well).

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 02:41:27 PM »

Totally agree - why risk the (financial) viability and strength of our comp when we are trying to introduce 2 new teams. If they want to improve the reserve grade competition they could spend that money bolstering the individual QLD, NSW and Vic comps (and the SA/WA/NT ones as well).
The problem is that to improve the individual competitions they need to improve the quality of players in these competitions. There simply isn't enough to go around. That's why having a national (or eastern) competition would immediately increase the quality of players and teams. The only sides with VFL grade players in them in QLD & NSW are those who are listed with one of the AFL sides.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 03:22:33 PM »
I'm thinking the more probably outcome is they create a Northern league which includes GC, GWS, Sydney, Brisbane plus the best teams from the ACT and NT leagues. This will cut down travel, increase the standard of competition while still keeping costs at acceptable levels.

Stripes

Offline HD

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 04:01:13 PM »

The problem is that to improve the individual competitions they need to improve the quality of players in these competitions. There simply isn't enough to go around. That's why having a national (or eastern) competition would immediately increase the quality of players and teams. The only sides with VFL grade players in them in QLD & NSW are those who are listed with one of the AFL sides.

I don't know though - wouldn't that just give the VFL some easy beats from the QLD comp and increase the quality of the opposition from a QLD standpoint?

The QAFL is a strong comp with some quality teams/players but not strong enough to compete against the best teams from the VFL IMO. Maybe after the introduction of the GC team, which will bring extra attention/junior players to the QLD comps plus more players picked up by GC through the draft that will enter the QAFL. That in itself will improve the QAFL and maybe to a level where it would be feasible to create an Eastern comp that competes with the VFL's premier teams.

I think if we improve the quality of teams/players in each comp BEFORE combining them it will greatly increase the chances of success for that combined comp.